91 Geo Storm GSi - Sunburst Yellow

View previous topic View next topic Go down

91 Geo Storm GSi - Sunburst Yellow

Post by JMJ Rick on January 2nd 2008, 11:28 pm

I finally did it. I rolled my Storm over the Christmas/New Years break. The car was already yellow so I decided to stay with the same color, but went with sunburst yellow (thanks to Matt and his pictures of his truck) which is a little brighter than the original. Well in the garage it was a little brighter, then I pulled it outside and it is a lot brighter. Very Happy

This was my test car to learn and master the method and boy did I learn a lot. The car had faded paint on one fender and door and bad peeling clear coat on the hood. I figure I couldn't make it look any worse and anything I did would be better than what I started with. If this project went well I have my daughters car to do next and my old 66 chevy pickup. Looks like I'll be rolling a few more soon.

Since this was my test car I tried many different things as I went to see what worked and what didn't. I seem to have worked many bugs out of my process and the next car will be much easier. I did have some issue with a bit of orange peel on the third coat when I changed the mixture from 1:1 to 2:1 (paint:mineral spirits). Not so bad that it took tons of effort to sand smooth, but noticeable to me. I went back to the 1:1 mixture and didn't have nearly the problem.

I ended up with 7 coats of paint. Two coats and sand with 400, one coat sand with 600, two coats sand with 1000, two coats sand with 1500, polish with turtle was polish, buff, and wax with turtle was. I was planning on a 8th coat real thin then buff, but I had issues with dust and once I sanded the 7th coat nice and smooth I was happy and started polishing and buffing.

One of the things I learned is that I am not very good at taping. Very Happy And I want to protect something from random drips, runs, and bumps with the roller I should cover ALL exposed areas and not just tape the edges. And I obviously didn't press down the tape very good in some spots and had a little clean up to do where the paint ran under the edge. Oh well, live and learn!

Another thing I learned is that this process takes much longer than I expected. Being a perfectionist doesn't help either, but I'd estimate I have about 40 hours into this project over a 10 day period. To me it came out a 7 or 8 on a scale of 1-10. The next one will be easier and should come out much better.

I took pics, but haven't a clue how to get them posted...yet!
For some reason my computer doesn't like photobucket huh
I will have my daughter help me (I mean have her do it for me). Very Happy

Rick
JMJ Rick
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 114
Job/hobbies : Printshop owner
Project : 91 Geo Storm GSi, 93 Geo Storm, 66 Chevy pickup
Registration date : 2007-12-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 91 Geo Storm GSi - Sunburst Yellow

Post by JMJ Rick on January 3rd 2008, 5:20 am

Here are some pics of the finished project.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

JMJ Rick
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by badbyrdkoncepts on January 3rd 2008, 8:35 am

wow good job thumbs up, looks as good as any factory job i ever seen, any bad spots or anything?
badbyrdkoncepts
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 109
Project : 1986 pontiac trans am
Registration date : 2007-12-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by badbyrdkoncepts on January 3rd 2008, 8:39 am

JMJ Rick wrote:Another thing I learned is that this process takes much longer than I expected. Being a perfectionist doesn't help either, but I'd estimate I have about 40 hours into this project over a 10 day period. To me it came out a 7 or 8 on a scale of 1-10. The next one will be easier and should come out much better.

Rick
well if you figure it at your time being worth money and a half a$$ paint job starting around 1000, thats still $25 an hour so the extra work is worth it in my book.
badbyrdkoncepts
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 109
Project : 1986 pontiac trans am
Registration date : 2007-12-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMJ Rick on January 3rd 2008, 6:02 pm

Yes there are a few bad spots. Not in the paint process, but in my poor ability to tape. I have a couple touch up spots to deal with where I didn't quite get the roller into and should have used a brush. I have the one minor run I want to sand out. And one spot on the fender I can still see where it was bare metal from the one spot I sanded rust off. One more coat in that one spot would have been better so I might fix that too.
JMJ Rick
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mazdawg78 on January 4th 2008, 12:41 am

looks awesome. thumbs up

mazdawg78
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2007-12-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt on January 5th 2008, 4:34 am

Sunburst yellow rock Looks good

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMJ Rick on August 8th 2008, 1:15 am

UPDATE:
It has been 8 months since I rolled the yellow on the Storm. Still looks as good as the day it was done. Starting to look like it could use a waxing but the paint is holding up great. Only a couple minor issues. One is where the paint has been chipped of the edge of the door by somebody opening it against the wall (me). And one chip in the front from rocks being kicked up on the road. Nothing a little touch up paint can't fix. No issues on the plastic bumpers from flexing by being stepped on by the kids or leaned against while loading stuff in the back. I still get people asking about the paint and commenting on how bright and shiny it is. Still have not got use to the random stares from people as I drive by.
JMJ Rick
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on August 8th 2008, 1:24 am

Still looking good after 8 months means it will look good for many many more cheers . Thanks for the update.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadking41a on August 8th 2008, 3:37 pm

Outstanding,A lot of people don't believe in rolling paint on. I just waiting for time to start on mine.
Roadking41a
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 300
Project : undecided
Registration date : 2008-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMJ Rick on August 9th 2008, 11:04 pm

What? You haven't started yet? It only took me a year from when I first read it to finally do it. Been 8 months now and still haven't started the next one and we were going to do it right away.
JMJ Rick
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadking41a on August 10th 2008, 12:16 am

No a lot of problems on my end. I will get to my wagon after I move.
Roadking41a
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 300
Project : undecided
Registration date : 2008-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMJ Rick on August 6th 2009, 11:42 pm

Another update. Daughter damaged the front fender (twice) and I decided to replace it. Painted the replacement fender with a couple coats and installed. Finished up with 4 more coats once it was on the car with wet sanding after every 2 coats. Buffed and polished the entire car (it needed it anyway) and the color matches great. Did some touch up to dings and chips while I was at it and the car looks as good now as it did a year and a half ago when I painted it. Since I still had half a pint of paint left over the cost of repair was $0.00. (had the fender from a parts car). Very happy with the results and ability to replace the fender without having to repaint the entire car.
JMJ Rick
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on August 7th 2009, 9:43 am

thats good info to know. I think thats one of the biggest advantages to a roll job is the abillity to color match after a repair.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1275
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboGeek on August 7th 2009, 10:26 am

with all the trees falling around here, I've gotten close to having to do some repairs. This paint seems to take abuse well
RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 429
Job/hobbies : Owner/Business Network Solutions
Project : 93 Cavalier
Registration date : 2009-05-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JMJ Rick on August 7th 2009, 11:07 am

RoboGeek wrote:with all the trees falling around here, I've gotten close to having to do some repairs. This paint seems to take abuse well

Paint seems to take normal abuse well, but doesn't hold up to daughters. hahaha. Actually the paint held up pretty good around the crunch zone, the fender didn't. The scrapes around the nose next to the fender and on the back bumper where she backed into something else buffed out. While I had the paint out I also did door ding touch up. Had one on each side of the car. Not bad for a daily driver.
JMJ Rick
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content