Windows, trim & flaking and other advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Windows, trim & flaking and other advice

Post by Asinity on March 13th 2012, 4:26 pm

One of the biggest problems I had during my roll on that I'm likely going to attempt to redo was rolling/brushing around the windows on my car. The rubber trim was a nightmare to mask off and fits extremely tight to the panels of the car so I couldn't even lift it with something and work around it - ultimately I have white paint all over my black rubber window trim.

Is there a particular tape that will hold up better than the green painters tape? Would light coats with a rattle can do the job better than trying to brush/roll?

Removing the windows and trim is not an option as this is my DD, and the rear windows need to be removed to get the trim off around them.

I also had problems where the painters tape lifted the paint when I was all done, and is now flaking a year later. Around my windows looks like crap and it's really driving me insane, ultimately I'm assuming my prep is to blame here.

The car has picked up a lot of little specks this past winter and all of them have little bits of rust around them, I ran polishing compound over them and it removes it so I'm assuming that's one of the problems with this type of paint job?

Ultimately I'm likely going to redo the job, so with that being said can I give the current paint a scuff with 400 grit and start over, or should I go further down? I scuffed the OEM paint/clearcoat with 400 grit and cleaned it twice with mineral spirits. Was this an acceptable practice?

Thanks for helping a newbie, it's appreciated.
Asinity
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-03-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Windows, trim & flaking and other advice

Post by cac1967 on March 13th 2012, 6:44 pm

The green tape should be sufficiet, how long did you leave the tape on ?you should retape every two coat's , I personally would sand the whole car with 220 then 320 and finally 400, this gives a better surface for the paint to adhere to. and try using an enamel hardner like valspar brand from tractor supply, give's you good gloss and better chip resistence, without the hardner the paint tend's to be a little soft,and sand really good around door handle's and window's.remember a great paint job is 90% in the prep. a great paint job is only as good as the prep under the new paint, hope this help's!!!!!
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top