Chipping/ Flaking help

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Chipping/ Flaking help

Post by mechanicalmike08 on April 7th 2012, 12:05 am

Well this is my first post to the site, ive been reading for about 3 months and got a process down so i decided to test it on a tailgate i bought. The tail gate was brand new had a little dent or two so i straightened it out bondo and primed. Sat for a week or so then sanded and preped for first coat. Did the 2 coats sand method and got about 6 coats of black on, i attepted a two tone look with black on top and bottom and a center of navy blue down the middle, i plan on running a pin stripe where the paints meet. After i got all the coats on i wet sanded with 1500 then 2000 and buffed and polished with meguires. she looked amazing. I was real happy with it. So it sat inside my house for about a month and decided to put it on the truck to see how it looked and i noticed a couple things, the first was the black in the sun looks almost like a dark charcoal rather than a deep black, in the shade or partial sun it looks nice and black but with sun dierect it looks deep charcoal, could this be because i used a little bit of older black i had around or something else?

My other question is i peeled the pin stripe off slowly and carefully cuz i was gona do a couple more coats and noticed a spot lift a little, so i decieded to investigae as i figued it was gona get repainted anyway. I noticed that if i run my finger nail over the paint softly its fine but if it catches a little bit the paint lifts and i also noticed once a little bit gets chipped it almost wants to peel off like a film, could this be form not useing a hardner? everything was preped good sanded and scuffed before paint? any ideas would help before i give it another go.

Thanks in advance
mechanicalmike08
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-11-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chipping/ Flaking help

Post by vervepipes on April 7th 2012, 12:29 pm

Did you wait a few weeks to let the paint cure before buffing it out with the polish? If not that could be your problem. As far as the paint lifting, were you wiping the surface down with mineral spirits to get and dust off before painting?
vervepipes
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2012-02-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mechanicalmike08 on April 7th 2012, 9:30 pm

It was about a week I think that's one problem but the other is I'm leaning towards the black paint was old, because the navy blue I used isnt the same as the black it's hard and glossy and don't flake or chip and I bought it new before I started painted the black was used befor and about a year old sittin on a shelf in the garage
mechanicalmike08
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-11-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top