Half-way through my project with a few ?'s

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Half-way through my project with a few ?'s

Post by Wigglesdabum on April 11th 2012, 11:13 pm

Hey all, I have gained alot of information from you guys and have been working ALOT on the truck lately. I had a TON of sags and runs in my first coat and had to sand ALOT. Well I have gotten the sags and runs somewhat under control. I still have some issues with them but that will just take time to fix. My real question is this. When I removed some pinstripes from the truck they refused to come off with chemicals so I kind of sanded/chipped away at them until I got them off. Well now there are little divots in my paint where the chips in the original paint were. Is there anyway for me to fix this issue? I am thinking that I need to keep putting layers down and keep sanding until the divot catches up with the rest of the body. I hope this makes some sense, its difficult for me to word this correctly.

Second question, my paint can be scratched off with a finger nail down to the primer... Is there anyway to make this stuff more hard? Would adding some enamel hardener actual make this stuff more resistance to chips and peeling off with a scratch? Right now I am doing 25% MS 25% penetrol 50% topside. Any help from yall would be greatly appreciated. I may post some more questions as they arise but for now I think im done. Thanks so much!
Wigglesdabum
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Half-way through my project with a few ?'s

Post by snafu on April 12th 2012, 9:48 am

For the chips, you'll want to pick up a tube of spot putty. Its made specifically for filling the small chips and will be a lot quicker than trying to fill them with multiple coats of paint.

As far as your paint, if you're having issues with sags and runs, it sounds like either your mixture is too thick or you're applying too much (or a combo of both). Also, what is the temperature you're painting in and how long are you letting it dry?
snafu
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 143
Registration date : 2010-07-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wigglesdabum on April 12th 2012, 1:23 pm

The issue with sags and runs has been solved for the most part. I am using a HVLP gun to spray my mix with so it was a steep learning curve. I have painted in a range of temperatures I have been trying to finish the truck for almost 6 months now. I am never home to work on it so I only do alittle at a time. I usually do 2 coats while I am home and let that dry for a month or so. Then I sand it and put 2 more coats on. Not counting the first coat that was a huge failure I am about at 4 coats.

Could the chip issue be solved by the way I am doing it now? I dont really want to strip all that down to metal.
Wigglesdabum
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-12-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top