Interlux paints crack from temperature variations?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Interlux paints crack from temperature variations?

Post by discostu24000 on April 16th 2012, 3:43 pm

Hi guys, been reading up a lot on rolling my Triumph and was planning to use Interlux Prekote on the bare metal then Brightside for the color. Went to West Marine yesterday to pick up paint and the guy at the store basically called me an idiot for trying to use boat paint on a car because boats are made of fiberglass and dont stretch/shrink with temperature variations but cars made of steel will expand and contract with temperature and make cracks in the oil based paint. If I wasn't such a nice person I would have pointed out that some boats are made of metal and someone working in a boat supply store should know that, but I digress. Anyway, just wondering if theres any truth to what he said. Any thoughts?
discostu24000
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 2
Project : 1970 Triumph GT6+
Registration date : 2012-04-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Interlux paints crack from temperature variations?

Post by 63Falconconvert on April 16th 2012, 10:53 pm

Tell the guy to stick to boats. Marine paint is very flexible and if you prep your car and follow the instructions by the paint manufacture and from us "idiots" you will have no problems.
99% of the people that you tell that you're rolling your car will tell you that you're either nuts or an idiot. Once they see the finished product that you spent peanuts on all I can say is who's the idiot.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1262
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Pierrel on April 17th 2012, 12:59 am

I would have wanted to know his answer if you had actually confronted him with the fact that boats can and are made of steel or metal.
A boats fiberglass hull flexes quite a lot actually from all the forces that its put under, and i doubt marginal expansion/retraction of sheet metal does any harm.

I know lots of car enthusiasts would frown upon you painting your car by yourself, and especially with a roller! Im just not telling anyone that i know would call me an idiot, and then when I'm finished (hopefully with a good result), i can drop the bomb and I'm really hoping for them having to scrape their jaws up from the pavement Laughing

Again, like many have already said, this forum is great since everyone encourage each other to try new, and bold things Smile
Pierrel
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 41
Job/hobbies : Student
Project : 1967 Mercury Cougar XR-7
Registration date : 2012-01-28

View user profile http://themercurycougar.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by discostu24000 on April 18th 2012, 3:28 pm

thanks for the input. a few other questions i have:

1. Is Prekote a self-etching primer, or do i have to etch the metal beforehand?

2. Most people have said to use 50/50 mix of paint with mineral spirits. the Brightside instructions say to use no more than 10% thinner type 333 when rolling. Is this because the Interlux is different than rustoleum or is 333 a stronger solvent than mineral spirits?

3. interlux application guide says DO NOT wetsand or polish the final topcoat. Is it possible to get a nice glossy topcoat without wetsanding and buffing?
discostu24000
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 2
Project : 1970 Triumph GT6+
Registration date : 2012-04-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on April 18th 2012, 3:39 pm

I believe Snafu used Brightside on his Cougar. Check out his cougar under the project sections. PM him with questions, he will be more then happy to help you out.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1262
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top