More colors with Valspar Anti Rust Armor

View previous topic View next topic Go down

More colors with Valspar Anti Rust Armor

Post by celly on April 27th 2012, 10:53 am

Valspar has an enamel called Anti Rust Armor that is tintable. Way I understand it, it's pretty much the same thing as rusto. Problem is, it only has a handfull of color codes and no color swatches at Lowe's (where I unfortunately work). But a coworker of mine in the paint section showed me a way to override the paint machines so you can pick from any of the regular Valspar colors that swatches are avail;able for. Maybe every paint associate knows this trick, but just in case I'll tell y'all.
In their program, have them choose Valspar brand, then floor paint products, then oil gloss floor for the finish. they should be able to input the color code then. Problem is, you want to use the Anti Rust Armor which requires them to override the base for the anti rust clear base.
celly
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 8
Job/hobbies : Bass guitar, wood work, trying to fix junk...
Project : 93 Toyota Celica GT
Registration date : 2012-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: More colors with Valspar Anti Rust Armor

Post by celly on April 27th 2012, 11:33 am

Also, all the Valspar paint swatches are flat. If you put a drop of water on the swatch you can get a better idea of what it will look like in gloss. I just mixed up some Deep Space blue. Looks good so far, but I still have body work to finish so I'll post some pics when I get some painting done.
Does anyone have any experience with Anti Rust Armor? I'm wanting to add the Valspar hardener.
celly
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 8
Job/hobbies : Bass guitar, wood work, trying to fix junk...
Project : 93 Toyota Celica GT
Registration date : 2012-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by VanGo on September 11th 2012, 1:39 am

Bump on this old thread. I decided to try roller painting, and did a van roof as a trial. I did 4 coats of Rusto, and it went on as nice and easy as described. It was smooth and shiny even without a finish sand/polish. I wasn't happy with the color so I found a local Hardware store that makes custom Valspar Rust Armor color mixes. I did 3 coats with Valspar and got bad orange peel and leftover foam brush marks even after trying different thinning ratios. Also, the dried color was much lighter; nothing like what it looked like after the sample was blow dried at the store. Does anyone have experience with Valspar paint? Does it require a different thinner or additives? Is it just unsuitable for car painting?
VanGo
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-09-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on September 11th 2012, 9:22 am

Valspar is a good paint, and yes it is ok to use for automotive use as it is farm implement paint, use the val spar hardner and you get better flow and shine,and use automotive grdae reducer's to thin it , give's you better control.
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by VanGo on September 11th 2012, 2:48 pm

Thanks for the input cac1967! Any suggestions on proper ratios of paint/hardener/reducer for roller application? I've found a lot of discussion on tractor forums about using Valspar implement or tractor paint. I don't know if the "Anti Rust Armor" I have is the same formulation. There were also reports of fast fading due to paint formula changes in the last few years. The way my Valspar paint dried several shades lighter after only 2 days in the sun has me concerned, even if I can get it to apply smooth with additives.
VanGo
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Samilcar on September 11th 2012, 3:01 pm

VanGo wrote: Any suggestions on proper ratios of paint/hardener/reducer for roller application?

I haven't posted my project yet (still buffing out the paint), but I used 8 parts Rustoleum/ 6 parts acrylic enamel reducer (slow)/ 2 parts mineral spirits/ and 1 part synthetic enamel hardener with success. The paint laid out nice and flat with minimal orange peel. The only downside is it laid out really thin as well. Even with 12 coats, some things are still just barely showing through (red paint). I only used primer on spots that were bare metal, and now I wish I'd used a full coat of primer over the entire car.
Samilcar
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 76
Project : 1998 Jaguar XJ8 - Kirker Ultra-Glo Black
Registration date : 2011-03-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by VanGo on September 11th 2012, 8:28 pm

Thanks Samilcar, but Valspar paint seems to behave a lot differently than Rusto. When I did my first 4 test coats with Rusto, I mixed it 50/50 with only mineral spirits. It was easy to apply, "self leveled", covered well, and was smooth & shiny when dry, even without much wet sanding. The finish was more than acceptable to me, but the stock Rusto color was not.. I next tried 3 coats of custom mixed Valspar thinned with spirits. It was much more difficult to apply and dried really rough - lots of peel & marks. Also very poor shine.

I sanded the Valspar paint smooth & still have about 80% coverage. I'm now debating whether to try again with Valspar + hardener & reducer, or go back to Rusto, maybe try and mix my own color out of it.
VanGo
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on September 26th 2012, 7:41 pm

I always tell people to try and have a solid one color on the car before putting any new paint on it, especially if it is a light color because different under colors will affect the top color. If you have primer spots (and you usually do) just hit it with a rattle can of primer. You don't need much, just enough to cover.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top