93 Celica GT

View previous topic View next topic Go down

93 Celica GT

Post by celly on May 4th 2012, 6:18 pm

Here we go. Bought a 93 celica for a steal a few months back, engine running great, clutch gone to crap. New clutch kit and four straight days a fixing the horrible body work later and shes ready for paint. I hope.
celly
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 8
Job/hobbies : Bass guitar, wood work, trying to fix junk...
Project : 93 Toyota Celica GT
Registration date : 2012-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 93 Celica GT

Post by celly on May 4th 2012, 6:35 pm

This must have been the previous owner's first attempt into body work and painting. Paint was drippy where it wasn't a basket ball and rough like emery cloth. The bondo had pinholes where it wasn't just cracking up. For that matter, it's my first real foray into this much body work and it shows, but hopefully mine comes out a bit better. I did mess up by using 80 grit to smooth out the drips, thus giving me lots of deep scratches to putty. Lesson learned. Anyway, this is also my first time using my electric sprayer, a wagner I bought for twenty bucks at the salvage store. And I used a new formula for my paint. One part acetone, two parts paint (Valspar Anti Rust Armor in deep space blue), 1/8th part penetrol, 1/16th enamel hardener. I have used a roller on my buddy's truck, but I think the sprayer is the way to go.
celly
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by celly on May 4th 2012, 6:45 pm

The sprayer lays it on nice a smooth, but if you let off the trigger, paint gathers on the nozzle and the next time you spray it will throw globs so use the same technique you use with a rattle can and dont start the stream while aiming at your work. I'm hoping the hardener does the trick with the drying time. I'm using acetone instead of mineral spirits because the last time I used MS it seemed to take ages to dry even in the dog days of last summer. The edges and corners are the softest parts and I seem to always sand through. Penetrol seems to be doing its job or maybe its just the sprayer. We will see how it turns out tomorrow. I can see my body work booboos great now!
celly
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on May 5th 2012, 11:46 am

Welcome. That should turn out nice.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pierrel on May 5th 2012, 1:44 pm

Maybe you can consider your first coat as a guide coat, and fix all the little booboo's that you didn't see earlier. I've never done bodywork before either, so it will be a steep learning curve.
Keep it up Smile
Pierrel
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 41
Job/hobbies : Student
Project : 1967 Mercury Cougar XR-7
Registration date : 2012-01-28

View user profile http://themercurycougar.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by celly on May 5th 2012, 7:16 pm

Thanks for the welcome. And yeah I would do that, but my free hours are numbered and I don't mind the little spots here and there enough to redo what I have done so far. Trust me, it looks waaaay better than it did.
Today I learned another lesson. Always thoroughly clean out your mixing cup! The dry paint left over in it flakes up and will shoot out of your sprayer all over your project. Oh well, better than bugs I guess. It can always be sanded back out. Another lesson: the weather channel is not always right! This is killing me. I sprayed a side and the hood and thirty minutes later it rains just enough completely drench the car. I hope the hardener did its job fast enough because I'm already pulling out wads of hair I can't afford to loose!
The paint was pretty tacky as the rain started so I don't think it could do much damage. We''l just have to see tomorrow.
celly
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by celly on May 7th 2012, 11:38 am

The rain wasn't as bad a thing as I thought. Every drop made a tiny crater in the surface, but the vast majority of them were easily sanded out. A spot on the back where some paint had pooled was kinda bad, but it's dry and sanded now. I shot another coat yesterday which dried just in time for another freak thunderstorm so no damage to anything but my nerves there. My technique was a little off so I had some good drips to knock out, but I'm satisfied with the coverage. Gonna adjust my gun a little today and see if that helps. I'm also noticing that I'm getting wrinkles in my coats. Not every where, but it's a lot. I'm trying to envision just what circumstance would cause this to happen and can't really figure it out.
Anyway, here's yesterday's progress.
celly
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by celly on May 7th 2012, 6:37 pm

Got another coat on today after sanding at the butt crack of dawn. This one's a beauty! I'm not sure what I did right this time, but there's no wrinkles I can see this time. My sprayer only has an adjustment for angle of spray and a screw that limits the travel of the trigger, which is what I did. I also stirred the crap out of my mixture while waiting for the hardener to activate. Which fixed the problem, I dunno, but I'm glad it did. This coat is so slick I think I'm gonna start with some 1500 grit and see if I can get away with this as my final coat.I'll probably sand through at the edges, but I'm gonna try.
celly
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top