HELP! NIGHTMARE !!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

HELP! NIGHTMARE !!!!

Post by gazza01 on May 26th 2012, 9:38 am

Hi All
Need some advice.
Have got to the stage where car has been sanded pretty much flat and dull after many coats.
When it gets to polishing I am getting what must be burn through to previous layers.
The trouble is there is a colour difference. The more i try to lightly sand it to blend it in or the same with polish
the wider the area becomes.
I can only guess that the previous coats were not fully dry, though they shoud have had long enough (a week)
if this is the case and the previous coat is now at the surface, shoud it blend in if i leave it to dry?
Has anyone had this or any knowledge of this.
By the way i am using rustoleum oil based reseda green which has been rolled on.
It's a real pisser as the parts that have come up well do look the dogs do da's.
Any help will be greatly appreciated thanks
gazza01
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 15
Job/hobbies : British Gas Safety assurance auditor
Project : Austin Mini
Registration date : 2012-02-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HELP! NIGHTMARE !!!!

Post by cac1967 on May 26th 2012, 6:09 pm

This paint need's to gas off or dry a couple week's before the final cut and buff, 2-3 weeks would be great, I myself would roll two more coat's to fix the damage , and wait 2 or 3 week's before the final cut and buff, remember patience is the key here, the wait will be worth it, this paint take's longer to dry than catalyzed automotive paint because of the mineral spirit's, and this is the nature of oil based enamel's. Hope this help's!!! thumbs up
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gazza01 on May 26th 2012, 6:20 pm

thanks for the reply i will try that.
Is it worth making the final coats a little thicker?
I'm currently mixing around 40% paint 60% spirits.
Is the burn through i have had a common problem?
Is there any other advice/tips you can throw in that also be worth doing?
gazza01
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on May 27th 2012, 11:21 pm

Try your mix at 50/50 on the last two coat's, thin is the key to little or no orange peel, the burn through is common in places because the coat's are thin,
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

still confused

Post by gazza01 on May 29th 2012, 3:51 am

I'm still a little confused though.
I do understand that thin is the key to very little orange peel, but i am about to put on the final coat (again)
I have flattened off the paintwork ready for this coat but was thinking of loading the roller just a little more so as to get a slightly thicker
final coat, so it will give me a chance to sand it without burning through again.
I realise the thicker the paint goes on the more sanding will be required as it will have more peel. but i have just put on 2 coats to repair
my previous burn through and these were very thin almost dry rolling. If the coat it so thin, will i be just sanding the skin off and polishing?
If so, should i go straight for something around 1500 grit?
Just as an add on, why the hell don't previous coats colour match. I pre mix my paint so it should be identical surely?
Any further advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
gazza01
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike MGBGT on May 29th 2012, 7:51 am

What grit are you using to cut back? It's tempting to use a coarser grit to cut back quicker, but it's easy to go too far and cut too deep into the paint. Always go very gentle where there are natural convexed highs in the car's bodywork as these are the easiest to burn through, so only use light strokes and fine grade paper on these areas.

I'm going to wait a while before I cut back the paint on mine, but I plan on using 1200 grit only where the paint is heaviest (i.e. most orange peel). I will lightly wet-sand with 1500 across the rest and a final flat with 2000 grit before final polishing & buffing.

Remember, learning by making mistakes is part of the fun sigh of hand-painting!
Mike MGBGT
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2012-05-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

NEVER AGAIN

Post by gazza01 on May 29th 2012, 11:58 am

I'll probably leave it 2 weeks to go a little harder, which i didn't do before.
But if it burns through again there could be fireworks as this paintjob its sssooooo doing my head in.
Other than waiting longer i think i have been doing everything correct.
I should probably have got a cheapo paint job and rubbed it down myself weeks ago.
I have spent more on sandpaper than on the paint

I didn't realise what a pain in the backside this could be.
I have got so close to the result i want but not quite. Painting to a really good finish with very thin coats of enamel, it seems is a fine art. NEVER AGAIN.
gazza01
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on May 29th 2012, 8:05 pm

A spray job may have turned out worse !!!! don't get discouraged , there is a learning curve here, I have painted many car's over the year's, been painting the normal way, acrylic enamel ,base coat clear coat,etc,and I can tell you you can really screw up a paint job with a simple wetsand and buff,and then your out hundred's of dollar's if you rub through the clear or to the primer on a regular paint job!!! and you can screw up a base coat clear coat job in a hurry,the learning curve is greater!!!! at least this way your mistake's are easily fixed!!!! don't give up thumbs up start your wetsanding with 1000 or 1200 on your final wetsand.

Last edited by cac1967 on May 29th 2012, 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by superdave on May 29th 2012, 9:29 pm

On mine, I waited 2 weeks and sanded with 1000 and then 1500. Anything coarser than that is asking for trouble. Mine came out fine. It's still a little cloudy, but I'll buff again in a couple of months. I wanted to sand and buff before I started putting things back together and I knew it probably wasn't as hard as it will get.

Final coats were about 50% paint, 40% mineral spirits, and 10% Penetrol.
superdave
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-12-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on May 30th 2012, 9:54 pm

I painted my first car 50 years ago and many since then and cac1967 is absolutely correct. EVERY thing has a learning curve, some more so than others. At least mistakes doing it this way are cheap and easy to fix. Just think how you would feel if you screwed up a several thousand metalflake, pearl job with graphics.
I just say to my self "its just paint, not the end of the world".
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

calmed down now

Post by gazza01 on May 31st 2012, 6:16 pm

yeah i know guys. It's just here in England we get 2 seasons, winter and july, so i was kinda hoping to get out there in the sunshine with the car all finished and thats what i have been looking forward to since i started the semi restoration. So yeah i have become a little impatient
with the paint job as it's holding me up.
I made a list the other night of all the bits and bobs that i can still do to take up a couple of weeks and hopefully all will be well.
The thing that got to me most was that i have managed to get a glass finish on some panels and then burnthrough occured and blew me out of the water time wise.
Still, nothing good ever came easy. I'll put some pics up when she's all finished. Thanks for all the encouragement guys.
Keeping the faith (if only just) GAZZA sunny
gazza01
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by netsniper on June 3rd 2012, 5:10 pm

I'm about to repaint my bug here in the uk, it was spray painted 4 years ago very badly with Rustoleum so I'm hoping to do a better job, I'm going to use an Earlex 3000 which a friend of mine said will do the job easily my garage isn't big enough so I have bought a 6 meter party marquee to do it in, at present it's a sort of white but I'm going to orange. I've added a picture here of how it was when I bought it, this picture is 4 years old and it still looks the same

netsniper
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-06-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top