GETTIN SUICIDAL NOW

View previous topic View next topic Go down

GETTIN SUICIDAL NOW

Post by gazza01 on June 8th 2012, 3:07 am

I have put this in general questions instead of rolling, sanding and polishing/buffing, as it covers all 3.

I have been having several problems with this paint job (rustoleum oil based, rolled on)

I decided to use my removable arches to try and really get this down.

Rolled really thin coats with about a 40/60-paint mix, rubbed down with 600 then 800 between 2nd coats.

8 coats in all. Got a good flat surface. kept good cleanliness in prep.

Left them about a month to harden and dry to a point where i could go for the finish.

Still got burn through to the previous coat, which is a different shade.

I can't see how after wet sanding final coat with 1200 then 2000. Then onto a fairly mild meguires compound

that it is possible not to burn through these very thin coats.

All is pretty much ok up until i try and get a decent shine with the meguires then it seems to be a

step too far for the paint thickness. I keep hearing 'thin to win' but so far its not the case.

I'm in England so maybe the dampness and cooler temperatures are playing thier part, as most of

you guys seem to be in a warmer climate?

Don't want to go any thicker with the mix or the amount on the roller as i will get a build up of orange peel and

that will only lead to further issues.

Any advice or thoughts would be great. Thanks

gazza01
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 15
Job/hobbies : British Gas Safety assurance auditor
Project : Austin Mini
Registration date : 2012-02-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: GETTIN SUICIDAL NOW

Post by superdave on June 8th 2012, 1:50 pm

How many coats did you apply for your final finish to cut and buff? I know you had 8 total. Did you do 2 coats at each step?
superdave
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-12-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gazza01 on June 8th 2012, 6:00 pm

yeah 2 coats then wet sand and so on.
When i get it to 8 coats its pretty much flat. Not totally, as when i tried
total flatness i was getting even more burn through.
I dont mind a tiny bit of orange peel almost as original finish would have been, as i feel it means i can leave a little more paint on the car when going for the finish and a very small amount won't really show unless under close inspection.
I think i have said on here before that mostly the finish comes up great but there always seems to be a part on almost every panel that has a blemish or burn through. These are not curves or contours as i am very cautious
with my sanding in these areas. I'm getting to the point now that as i sand i am waiting for that initial sign in the paint that if i polish further it will
burn through, but the shine is not good enough at that point for me to stop.
gazza01
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 15
Job/hobbies : British Gas Safety assurance auditor
Project : Austin Mini
Registration date : 2012-02-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by superdave on June 8th 2012, 9:40 pm

I put 3 coats on for my cut and buff. That being said, my paint was a little cloudy after only 2 weeks of drying when I buffed. I am going to let it cure some more and cut and buff again. I was careful not to sand too much the first time.
superdave
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-12-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LV2DRFT on June 22nd 2012, 9:26 pm

I'm having the exact same problem. I did 8 coats of gloss. Then two costs of flat. Then four more costs of gloss because I changed my mind again haha. I originally thought it was the flat black showing after burning thru the gloss from sanding. But then I put on two more costs and sanded only with very fine (1000 +) and still had the problem. Either I'm underestimating the sanding power of 1000 grit, or maybe every coat of gloss isn't coming out the same. I'm gonna put some more coats on and sand only with 2000 and up and hopefully that will solve the problem
LV2DRFT
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2011-11-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LV2DRFT on June 22nd 2012, 9:28 pm

Btw superdave. I THINK he is talking about blotches. At least I am. Haha. What do you mean by cloudy? Do you Have a picture? Mine feels like letting the paint dry longer (it's had 10 hot sun days already) isn't the cause of such a catastrophic blemish zone.
LV2DRFT
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2011-11-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top