95 Honda Civic Gloss Black

View previous topic View next topic Go down

95 Honda Civic Gloss Black

Post by airborne29th on June 19th 2012, 9:37 pm

Long time lurker here on the forums and finally decided to post and take the plunge into the rolled on world. Not a lot of back story to this because Ive had to rewrite this post a few times now and don't fill like filling everything in at the moment. So doing this on an old worn out 95 Honda Civic that stock was black, it was a California car that has seen the sun quite a bit and the clear coat has been destroyed. I did not want to deal with paying way more than what I bought the car for in the first place in paint alone especially since this is my beater/DD/AutoX car.. so here goes..

As it began.. sorry did have more pictures but cannot find them at the moment from before any work done.

Then a bit of wet sanding to rough up the clear coat and original paint.

A bit of first time usage of Bondo.. didn't come out too bad but also didn't get it all the way I'd like it too.. but hey.. its not a show car.. its a beater/dd/autox car Smile

Yeah that's my make-do shelter.. the tarp is bigger now than the one up there but its all I can use right now, on time constraint and work space constraint Smile

Ok, moving on.. sanded the bondo, wiped with denatured alcohol then primmer-ed the car from head to toe.

And quickly moving on again.. sorry I know I didn't start this project log and have input from the boards but time constraint once again.. I tried to follow the steps of others as best as I could but if I missed something big let me know! Might be tough going back now but still would be good to know either way...
Ok so sanded the primer and denatured alcohol wipe again

Now comes the big question... for a first coat is this too heavy?? I just made sure that I covered the primer and didn't have any runs or drips or bubbles.. I went back and "dry rolled" after I applied the layer.. but it just seems that it covered A LOT for a 1st coat.. I did a 1:1 mix of Penetrol and Paint and it seemed to flow very well, lightly coated the roller and went to town and back rolled. Does have orange peel but doesn't seem to bad.. and from what I can tell.. not a lot of bubbles.. so let me know what you think.. I have 3/4 of the car painted so far, and the rear area I did a lot lighter than the front and it does seem to look a little better... but that's some good coverage either way!

Hood orange peel up close..

Different angle of the front with some reflection from the light..

So that's where I'm at so far.. I won't be able to finish the rest of the first coat probably till thursday and still need to go back with the brush and trim out around the lights etc.. let me know if I should change anything now before continuing or add anything.. Thanks guys!!
airborne29th
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 6
Job/hobbies : IT for hospital/ US ARMY Infantry Squad Leader
Project : 95 Honda Civic Gloss Black
Registration date : 2012-06-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 95 Honda Civic Gloss Black

Post by cac1967 on June 19th 2012, 10:18 pm

Look's good so far, my next step would be to wetsand with 600 and try some mineral spirit's in your next two coat's with the penetrol, roll two coat's then wetsand with 800 then two more coat's then 1000 to 1500 then buff. thumbs up
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by airborne29th on June 19th 2012, 10:26 pm

That's what I was hoping to hear! I was worried when it covered so well but I will continue on then! Thanks!
airborne29th
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vervepipes on June 20th 2012, 1:07 am

Looking good, nice and glossy
vervepipes
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2012-02-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LV2DRFT on June 22nd 2012, 3:59 pm

cac1967 wrote:Look's good so far, my next step would be to wetsand with 600 and try some mineral spirit's in your next two coat's with the penetrol, roll two coat's then wetsand with 800 then two more coat's then 1000 to 1500 then buff. thumbs up

cac knows his stuff. He's helped me quite a bit. I agree with him for sure. As long as you wetsand it completely before doing your next coat, it's not too heavy. I've made the mistake of sloppy wetsanding and it's a pain in the butt later, because it only gets worse when you put on more paint, and it's hard to tell which orange peel is in the bottom layers, and which orange peel is new until you get the hang of it. Just make sure that everything is smooth AND gray (no gloss spots) before you put the next layer on. If you get a little spray bottle and make the sanded paint wet with water, you can look at it from different angles to see where your orange peel is too. I've just learned that it's easier to go thin than heavy, because the sanding goes a lot faster. I was surprised how completely covered my car was after the first coat of black too. It's almost like, why not just stop here and call it good haha. But you know you just have to keep going :-)

Looks GREAT so far! Good job on the body work! I had a hard time with bondo but yours is looking great!
LV2DRFT
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2011-11-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by airborne29th on June 25th 2012, 1:39 pm

Thanks! Ive been trying to follow everyone's posts as closely as I can with this project and so far its been turning out better than I expected! I'd like to think that the bondo/body work went well but there are still plenty of dents and dings.. and the gloss black really shows them now too!! But oh well.. its a starter project and a learning one.. and its not a show car just a DD so i'm ok with it for now.

Now onto the latest.. So wetsanded the layer before with 600 like cac said to do, I got the majority of the OP off but there was still some before I continued on... hopefully that won't haunt me later.. Layed the next layer down and tweaked the mix a bit more with some more penetrol. I havent picked up any MS so I might still have to do that but this time it rolled out real smooth.. a but runnier than I wanted though.. but a lot less OP! so hopefully I'm getting there.. About how long do you wait between coats? Ive read anywhere from 8-12 to longer.. With luck though Ive had to wait about a day or two between coats anyways due to weather and other things tieing me up.. Id rather not have to keep driving my F250 Diesel longer than I need to but want this to still turn out good.. but without further ado.. the pics.. Hoping to lay the 3rd? coat today.. I think im a bit off.. most people do even coats but I sanded after the 1st coat because it seemed so thick.. but will lay 2 coats this time between sanding.. I need to go grab some 800grit also.. Heres the pics!

Its so much more shiny this time.. the reflections are getting better.. and hopefully by next coat I will have control over the OP and have a mirror finish.. getting there!!
airborne29th
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by airborne29th on June 25th 2012, 1:50 pm

Forgot to ask also, do I wipe with Denatured Alcohol in between coats or just after sanding?
airborne29th
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on June 25th 2012, 10:40 pm

I wiped and tacked between every coat.
rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 321
Project : 1968 Mustang/1979 Corvette/2011 Corvette
Registration date : 2008-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on June 25th 2012, 10:48 pm

lookin good and Iagree with rmd hokie wipe and tack between every coat this will greatly help with the dust in your next coat's thumbs up
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by airborne29th on April 11th 2013, 11:48 am

Wow, lost track of all this.. I completed this last summer/fall.. I need to upload the last pictures of what I feel is complete.. Lots of things happened since then that took my time away. I do still need to do a final wetsand before I polish correct? Could use a lot of help with making it really shine now that Im at the end.. Thanks!
airborne29th
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian67 on June 9th 2013, 12:40 am

I'd love to see how this turned out! Post a few pictures and we can all chip in on some finishing details. You'll want to get access to a DA polisher of some sort and wet sand with no less than 1500g paper. Use the polisher with a semi aggressive pad/polish/compound and be careful around the body lines and edges.

Pictures first please! ;-)

Ian
Ian67
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 104
Job/hobbies : Camaros, Computers and Movies
Project : 67 Camaro - Black on Black
Registration date : 2010-06-29

View user profile http://www.turbocamaro.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by integrafan on August 16th 2013, 6:19 pm

Nice man, looks good so far. Lets see the final result!!!
integrafan
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 16
Project : 1992 integra GS
Registration date : 2013-08-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down