how black is rustoleum?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

how black is rustoleum?

Post by inda_bebe on June 22nd 2012, 1:46 pm

Im getting ready to paint my 68 Lemans, and i want this to be Gloss black. how does the rustoleum gloss black compare to factory car blacks? ive been looking everywhere online and all i see is cell phone camera pictures of the black people used to roll on to there vehicles. im just trying to find a good high def photo of someone who has done theyre car black w/out painting a panel myself and comparing.

Also, has anyone shot clear over rustoleum with amazing results?
inda_bebe
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2012-05-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: how black is rustoleum?

Post by LV2DRFT on June 22nd 2012, 3:24 pm

It's pretty black. It does look SLIGHTLY gray. But not much. Not as black as a nice factory job, but you definitely look at and consider it "black" paint. Sorry I don't have a high def photo for you, but you can check my project page to see some decent photos. (I'm still not 100% done yet). Also from my experience, Rustoleum TOPSIDE (boat paint) is darker than regular rustoleum, and the grayest of them all is the Ace hardware brand. More glossy, less satiny eqauls richer black. Go with topside (glossiest finish). Some people suggest using Interlux Brightside boat paint as well. I haven't tried it but I'd imagine it's a little truer of a black than topside or rustoleum since it's more expensive. If you really really want the best, you CAN do this same process with normal automotive paint. However, you might not be thinning it with mineral spirits since it's not an alkyd enamel. Do a little research and call the manufacturer. Thats probably the best way to get the richest black. And as far as orange peel, if you take your time and do it right you WILL end up with far LESS orange peel than any factory car. Since starting my project, I've been paying closer attention to factory paint on cars I see. And wow, it's amazing how sloppy the paint is sprayed on most factory cars (esp. Toyotas haha)

Sorry I didn't have a high def pic, but maybe I was of some help.

If your car is in crappy condition as it is right now, and you want to save money, then you might as well go for it! I'm having a few issues with mine at the final stages and have to go back and do some areas over again, but even if I left it how it was right now, it would look 10 times better than before I started :-) Just depends on the quality level of what you're starting with.
LV2DRFT
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2011-11-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by inda_bebe on June 22nd 2012, 5:49 pm

thanks for the quick reply, im gonna start research where i can find Interlux Brightside. do you recommend mixing w/ penetrol? and what formula?
inda_bebe
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2012-05-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LV2DRFT on June 22nd 2012, 6:14 pm

I dont know much about the brightside. Jus an assumption that it's a richer black since it costs more Smile

I mixed my topside with mineral spirits. 50/50 -- ish. It really depends on the weather. If its baking in the sun you need more thinner but if it's cloudy I use more like 25% thinner because it gets drippy and bubbly with more thinner. I wish I tested the whole process with scrap metal first. The best way to learn this stuff is to test it.

Anybody here that's done brightside please chime in
LV2DRFT
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2011-11-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down