1977 Toyota Celica GT

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1977 Toyota Celica GT

Post by vervepipes on June 30th 2012, 6:32 pm

So the Benz completely crapped out and at the same time I found an add locally for a car so incredibly rare in these parts (I think there are only one or two for sale in any listing across Canada right now...), and yet having so much still available for parts at more than reasonable prices. I picked up this '77 Celica last week to fill the hole in my driveway. This will be one very slow build as I find money to source the needed body parts. It runs and drives like sex wrapped bacon, but hasn't been registered in 15 years or so. Some panels are available as fibreglass repros, some as stamped repros, but the important parts like the trunk floor are beautiful.

Downside to the car is in the past it had been rolled onto it's roof, so I'll need to re-work the metal some to avoid the heavy use of bondo that exists in this car, but for 200 bucks, and the fact that I may never see one for sale again, lead me to buy this right away.

I know the steel wheels are kind of plain, but they are still a bit unusual and they may just have to get sandblasted and re-painted. I've concluded in my research that they belonged to an '81 Celica. If I find some early 80's Supra rims, those may get tossed on though.

Next weekend I'm taking the family to see the Calgary Stampeed, and while I'm there, I found an add for somebody giving away 7 boxes of stuff for this car. I've already sorted the 4 boxes that came with this car, half of which was total trash not worth keeping like cracked drums(who keeps that, honestly!), so I'm eagerly awaiting to see whats in these boxes.

Last edited by vervepipes on June 30th 2012, 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong year)
vervepipes
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2012-02-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1977 Toyota Celica GT

Post by vervepipes on June 30th 2012, 6:34 pm

Note that the huge oil slick under the car is from when the Benz had a huge tranny oil leak (which I fixed only to have the radiator break from the inside and make strawberry milkshake in the slush box...).

This car has the most minor of valve cover leaks and thats it. I love Toyotas!
vervepipes
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vervepipes on June 30th 2012, 11:08 pm

I've edited the title. The bill of sale states it's a 76 but the chassis number indicates a '77, I'll have to get a new bill of sale from the guy.
vervepipes
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lakeroadster on July 3rd 2012, 10:44 pm

Congrat's on the new purchase. Back in the early 1980's I worked with a guy that had one of these. Nice car. The styling is an obvious rip off of a late 1960's Mustang. A rear deck spoiler and some rear window slats would look killer.

I always thought a v-8 conversion on one of these would be freakin' awesome.

Edit.... like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVCEDMi0iNk

Lakeroadster
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 62
Project : 1965 Chevy Pickup SWB SS
Registration date : 2010-09-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vervepipes on July 3rd 2012, 11:14 pm

Yes it takes strong styling cues from mustangs, thats one of the best points: great styling with Toyota quality!
vervepipes
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on July 4th 2012, 7:50 pm

If I was doing one of those, I'd be wanting either a Supra straight six, or one of the new Lexus or Toyota truck V8s.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 598
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vervepipes on July 5th 2012, 7:33 pm

That would be nice but I think I'm going to stay with the classic 22R block with the high flowing 20R head, 22r aluminum rockers, weber 38 and header for a solid, high compression and very reliable motor. I've kind of grown out of the go-fast stage of my life
vervepipes
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vervepipes on November 7th 2013, 2:29 pm

No real progress on this. I have some new sheet metal made up but to do this car right requires A LOT of disposable income.
vervepipes
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on November 11th 2013, 4:26 pm

I'm a 4A-FE man, myself...
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!