Rustoleum topside - Penetrol and thining questions(s)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rustoleum topside - Penetrol and thining questions(s)

Post by slogfilet on July 10th 2012, 1:00 pm

I've read quite a bit about Rustoleum, mineral spirits, and Penetrol. I've also heard that the Rustoleum Topside paint is thinner than the regular Professional/Stops-Rust stuff. Is this true?

I was thinking of using 2:1:1 Topside, MS, Penetrol to roll on, maybe up to a 3:1:1 ratio. It doesn't sound like there's a magic ratio for Penetrol, but any advice or experience is appreciated!

Edit: Somone also suggested a 3:2:1 ratio for paint, MS, Penetrol. Will pretty much anything in this range give good results? I have a spare hood I can experiment with...

For what it's worth, I've decided to go with Topside for the UV protection, and I don't mind paying a couple extra bucks a quart. Is Topside more durable, as well?

My project will be a 1994 Civic hatchback... going from teal green (peeling clear, chips, 2 questionable layers of teal) to either Topside Navy Blue or Gloss Black. Might consider Battleship Gray, but I'm concerned it would look a little like shiny primer. Rolling Eyes
slogfilet
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-07-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rustoleum topside - Penetrol and thining questions(s)

Post by LV2DRFT on July 20th 2012, 5:09 am

Hi, slog!

In my experience (first buying topside, using it all up after making several mistakes to go through the whole 2 quarts, then buying and finishing with Professional), the topside is a little thinner. Not really a big deal though. And it's all in how much mineral spirits you mix in. Either way you go you still have to work the paint several times to get it nice and even once you've applied it. Topside looks glossier without sanding or polishing, but since most of us our sanding and polishing anyway, why not? Also, I decided to not buy a new can of topside when it ran out because I had actually called Rustoleum before and the rep said both topside and professional are a 3-5 year paint, and the UV protection difference is minimal.

I never messed with penetrol because I've heard that just paint and MS is the best way to go, it's worked fine for me. If you're living in a hot environment, paint in the morning (but after morning dew) with a 50/50 mix (or under some shade), then move the car out to the sunlight if you want it to dry faster.

Good luck with the Civic! It's a perfect candidate for this type of thing, and you'll be amazed at how much nicer it looks!
LV2DRFT
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2011-11-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LV2DRFT on July 20th 2012, 5:10 am

oh by the way...

Expect a little more obsessing if you choose gloss black. It's doable, but the little scratch marks will drive you crazy. I learned the hard way that your final sanding cut on gloss black should be 2000 grit minimum to polish with Meg's Ultimate.
LV2DRFT
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by slogfilet on July 20th 2012, 11:02 am

Thanks for the tips... I actually bought a replacement hood to practice on. It's primered, and has lots of pinholes, so I'll sand it down pretty far before getting any paint on there. Started with 220 grit, but will probably step down to 150 to move it along more quickly. I'll likely start with 150 on the rest of teh car to get through the clean and first layer of paint (and little chips.)

There was some paint peeling on the passenger rear panel, so I picked at it a little, and a stick of bondo about 1/4" thick by 6" came off. Might be a little filling needed back there. =)

Stay tuned, and I may make a Project thread...

slogfilet
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-07-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LV2DRFT on July 30th 2012, 12:25 am

Good luck! Remember even if it doesn't work the first time, try again! I just finished mine after four "re-do it learning experiences." But I learned alot from the process and am loving the final results! Read everything on these forums by the way :-)
LV2DRFT
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LV2DRFT on September 20th 2012, 3:45 pm

Additional info that I just learned:

USE HARDENER! It WILL protect from bird poop and rock chips significantly better than unhardened, and will protect slightly better with UV rays.

Valspar Enamel Hardener (green)

BE SAFE AND USE A RESPIRATOR (and skin protection if spraying)
LV2DRFT
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AGearHead4Life on November 24th 2012, 3:19 pm

LV2DRFT wrote:Additional info that I just learned:

USE HARDENER! It WILL protect from bird poop and rock chips significantly better than unhardened, and will protect slightly better with UV rays.

Valspar Enamel Hardener (green)

BE SAFE AND USE A RESPIRATOR (and skin protection if spraying)
So, if you add hardener to the mix whats the ratio at that point?
AGearHead4Life
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 55
Job/hobbies : Custom Cars, Guns, Computers
Project : 84 C10, 92 Camaro
Registration date : 2012-11-21

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/AGearHead4Life

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on November 26th 2012, 1:29 pm

Keep your mix the same (paint, MS, etc) just add a cap full of hardener to your mix.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1275
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by AGearHead4Life on November 27th 2012, 1:29 am

63Falconconvert wrote:Keep your mix the same (paint, MS, etc) just add a cap full of hardener to your mix.
Thanks man!
AGearHead4Life
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 55
Job/hobbies : Custom Cars, Guns, Computers
Project : 84 C10, 92 Camaro
Registration date : 2012-11-21

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/AGearHead4Life

Back to top Go down

Post by rick howe on July 4th 2013, 10:32 am

One word on the hardener don't try to save unused paint it will become jello in no time i used some in my last coats because the paint does get harder to sand and do get the wet look hardener it helps with that glass like finish.
rick howe
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 48
Job/hobbies : the beach( retired)
Project : 72 spitfire
Registration date : 2011-07-19

View user profile http://rikiwho123@yahoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top