PS13 (Jap Import 240sx)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

PS13 (Jap Import 240sx)

Post by Cyruz on August 4th 2012, 2:39 pm

Evening all,

After reading through stuff for months and looking at my paintwork getting progressively worse I decided I'd actually get around to starting something. I've had terrible experiences with bodywork before, I can't fill, spray or remove dents to save my life, so I'm not very optimistic about this.

Firstly the car currently looks like this, the bonnet (hood for you yanks Smile), the roof and the boot (trunk, again Very Happy) have been rollered nato green. This wasn't done well, it's thick as hell with peel everywhere, I'm not sure why I did it, might have had a few drinks at the time...

Today was the day I dived in and actually started, the weather has been really on/off with heat then rain so I've been trying to judge when is best to work (stuck working on the drive). The first issue was the **** green paint, it's so thick it ate 3 120 grit pads in minutes and barely shifted. Sad

Besides this I got my friend who finishes boats to do the filling for me, I really hate this prep stuff already! Now I've finished masking all the glass and removing all the parts of the trim I want to keep black etc. Hopefully I'll get the whole car in primer tomorrow after the keying which I'm sure my bleeding fingers will love!

I will be painting it white with Tekaloid (UK/EU only paint), not sure how it'll go but they'll be more photos within the next few days!)

Also anyone know how long I can leave it in primer out in the elements before it'll need flatting back?
Cyruz
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2012-07-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: PS13 (Jap Import 240sx)

Post by Cyruz on August 5th 2012, 3:13 pm

Quick update, didn't have transport today so had to key the **** thing with sanding blocks, god my fingers hurt like hell!

Tomorrow is D-Day, full primer, a quick flat back and first coat... wish me luck!
Cyruz
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on August 5th 2012, 10:24 pm

Good luck, and welcome.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on August 5th 2012, 10:56 pm

Moisture will go through primer fairly easy. If you didn't go clear through to metal tho you should be fine.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyruz on August 6th 2012, 12:21 pm

Another day of prep, really starting to hate it!

Car fully keyed up, removing that green was a pure nightmare, took four hours with a sander and 15 80 grit pads, was literally 3mm thick in places! Had a few more issues with glued trim leaving behind residue that's bonded in to the paint over 20 years of heat cycling. I started to get a quick coat of primer on it for the night then rain Sad.

Covered it up with my sheets, going to have to key it back a bit tomorrow and re-primer it. Now for a fucking bath...
Cyruz
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyruz on August 6th 2012, 10:32 pm

Some quick photos from the day...

Finally got most of that green off!

And the hastily made cover when it rained mid primer!
Cyruz
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyruz on August 7th 2012, 11:55 am

Another day done, finished the primer and flatted out some more damage/uneven spots. Ran out of primer after just one crappy coat, kind of annoyed that it didn't go further but it was enough to cover everything, that left it looking like this.

Put the first layer of paint on, even though I've read loads of stuff this bit was still scary. I used a 50/50 mix of Tekaloid and thinners, it was quite thin but after reading all the horror stories of thick paint I aired on the side of caution. I was loading the roller fully then using the tray to remove as much as possible.

My actual technique was to use a very small amount of pressure on the roller and keep going over the same places to try and even the paint, it seems to have worked for the most part. I also got a friend to follow me round with a heat gun to burst the bubbles, this helped loads as for some reason the paint was full of air as it went on. Rambling, here's a photo!

Overall pretty happy for a first coat, I realise that I'm not going to get a show room finish and I'm rushing this job a bit but if it looks good from 10ft away I'll be happy. Tomorrow I'll give it a quick wipe over with a dry rag to remove any dust/bugs etc and put another coat on. Then I'll have a go at flatting it back, still worried about this part!
Cyruz
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyruz on August 8th 2012, 11:01 am

Went to check the car this morning as it rained last night Sad

Luckily looks like the paint had gone off before it got water on it! Leaving it today because the weather is still on/off, tomorrow I'll wash it over with soap and dry it out properly and do another coat, then I can start looking at what areas need sanding attention.
Cyruz
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyruz on August 9th 2012, 12:53 pm

Another day done, paint is going to need a proper buff tomorrow, got some light running marks and bubbles that popped but left circles etc. Getting the mix right is a major pain in the ***, tried 50:50 and 66:33 but still seem a bit thin but the weather keeps jumping from 8c to 20c so can't get a gauge on thickness! I digress...

Second coat on now, as you can see, getting really good coverage (white primer is helping out tons here!) Paints getting a bit of depth too!

First run over with 800 wet tomorrow, hopefully won't cause too many issues and I can get back to rollering it more!

Cyruz
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on August 9th 2012, 6:32 pm

Nice work so far !!!!! The mix is a hard thing to get because what might work for one person may not work for another because of humidty etc, keep at it your going to have a nice ride when all is said and done!!!!! rock
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan sox on August 9th 2012, 8:11 pm

super dope man ! Ive got some friends that have skylines and 240s. the sil front end look sick too! Very Happy what motor do you go in it ? sr ?
ryan sox
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2012-07-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on August 11th 2012, 11:20 pm

Yeah, that's a big improvement. The paint looks really good. Which one would you rather drive to a job interview?
This reminds me of mine, because of the color and the fact that it's such a drastic change, and also that it is being rushed. You can always go back and fix any blemishes. With mine, a less than stellar job was still a success, because the car looked like shizzola before - see my avatar...
Everybody says prep is the most crucial stage, but I think it's the finish-out (color-sanding and buffing).
I might get back on mine next year or the one after. Prolly stay white, but might change it to black. I still never did my doorjambs...
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyruz on August 12th 2012, 3:25 pm

I've been driving this round for a few days, it's still on it's 2nd coat and hasn't had any flatting back but I've been to busy!

Going to have a go at flatting it back tomorrow and adding another coat.
Cyruz
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyruz on August 14th 2012, 3:54 pm

I over flatted it way too much! Hadn't used wet/dry before and ended up hitting the original black in a few places. Lesson learned! 3rd coat went on a lot smoother, took much more time working out the bubbles!

Shitty camera phone and it was getting dark fast, so excuse the photos. Will get the 4th coat on tomorrow and try to get some light photos!
Cyruz
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyruz on August 17th 2012, 12:29 pm

4th coat on! Got bad luck with this one, was going on fine, using a thicker mix as it was 23c. Finished it and then 15 minutes later had a brief shower covering the car in rain, most of the panels felt touch dry except the bonnet that was still pretty tacky. Not sure what will happen to the paint now, will leave it over night and check it tomorrow!

Noticing some peel appearing now too, it's actually a real ***** to spot with white, guess that's a good thing. Got a roll of 1200 to flat it back with so will give it a day or two to harden up then see if I can make it smooth.

Obligatory sunny nice photo!
Cyruz
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on August 18th 2012, 4:38 pm

White is difficult. I always wanted to try colored lights reflecting off of the paint, in order to gain some more reference when colour flatting or color sanding.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down