Colour blending/mixing/layering

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Colour blending/mixing/layering

Post by 67_6cyl on January 6th 2008, 5:05 am

I'm planning to use this method on my old Mustang. The car isn't worth more than a budget paint job from Maaco anyway, so why bother spending a lot of money. We used Tremclad on the farm for restoring old tractors as projects during the winter months and it stood up very well for lots of years - the end result was rougher than what I've seen in most of the pictures, but we never thinned it much and we only put on two coats or so with a quick scuff of whatever we had.

Question:
Does anyone have any suggestions on colour, custom mixing etc, or are we stuck with the 6 or so colours that the home despot carries? Are there tintable bases available for example?
Does layering make a difference? I've heard that body-shop guys have a whole arsenal of tricks they use to bring out colours strongly, make paint jobs look miles deep etc etc. How do they do that?

It sounds bogus, but apparently to bring out red so it kicks-you-in-the-face when you look at it is to start with several coats of bright, bright yellow??? How do you make this look like a $10,000 paint job?
67_6cyl
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Colour blending

Post by 67_6cyl on January 6th 2008, 6:50 am

Neat little applet for colour mixing:

http://painting.about.com/library/blpaint/blcolormixingpalette1.htm
67_6cyl
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Colour blending/mixing/layering

Post by Matt on January 9th 2008, 3:16 am

I would say if your wanting to go with a lighter color you could use a gallon of rustoleum white and have a local hardware store tint it for you. I used to tint outside brand paints for free at Sherwin Williams. Thanks for the website also, it's really handy.

400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 563
Project : Ford Ranger Splash
Registration date : 2007-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Colour blending/mixing/layering

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top