Bird Poop!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bird Poop!

Post by LV2DRFT on September 5th 2012, 1:17 pm

So just as I'm about to complete the process a bird poops on my car. I don't know how long it was there, but no longer than 4 days... I go to clean it off and notice it has EATEN all the way down through 14 coats of alkyd enamel down to my factory clear coat!

Was this particular bird especially high in Uric acid? Is this something that happens with all bird poop on alkyd enamel?

And more importantly, what can be done to stop this from happening? Will keeping it waxed be enough? Or is a clear coat needed? What have you all done to keep bird poop from eating your work?
LV2DRFT
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2011-11-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Bad birds

Post by wayne57 on September 5th 2012, 7:54 pm

I know the feeling had it happen to me.
I made a cover over my car so i can protect it.
between bird doo which comes in different colors
depending on what their eating and tree sap
it could ruin a good paint job. so i would try
to protect it somehow.

wayne
wayne57
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2012-08-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bird Poop!

Post by LV2DRFT on September 6th 2012, 12:04 am

Thanks Wayne. I luckily found a car cover on clearance for cheap and am putting it to good use. Anybody else have any thoughts? I was thinking maybe a non carnauba wax (orange nufinish?)
I've always been a nufinish fan. Their website says it protects from sap and bird droppings. And it's a cult classic on most forums. I'll give it two good coats and hope for the best.

I read that anything birds eat (biologically based such as carbuba or the oil in alkyd enamel) will dissolve with their poop.

Anybody know of a relatively cheap clear coat that will fix this? Or a sealer that actually works?
LV2DRFT
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on September 6th 2012, 4:06 pm

LV2DRFT wrote:And more importantly, what can be done to stop this from happening?

Shoot the bird!!! gun 2 gun3

I drive my falcon ran or shine to work and everyday it gets crapped on. I hit the poop with a spray bottle filled with water, clean it off then hit the spot the Meguiar's spray wax, spots are gone. I added a hardener to my paint so maybe that could be why I haven't had any issue with stuff eating the paint. I can't imagine bird crap eating the paint right down like that, that bites.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1268
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by LV2DRFT on September 8th 2012, 12:44 pm

Hahaha! The amount of crows we have here I've considered pulling out the bb gun in my parking lot Smile

I didn't know a hardener was necessary. What do you think? If a hardener will stop the poop from making holes I'll put a few hardened coats over the top. What the hell it's all for fun anyway and I kind of miss painting. What's two more coats to my existing 14?

I'm just wondering if the birds around here are super acidic...
LV2DRFT
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by leeready on September 17th 2012, 5:08 pm

I painted my saturn sl2 about a year ago and bird poop stayed on it for weeks when I wasn't driving it a few months ago. It washed off fine. I didn't use a hardener at all. That was on the roof with 3 sprayed coats of regular gloss black rusto. I didn't even think about it in till now.

I try and buff it every few months. Though I haven't in 4-5 months. I think I waxed it once.....maybe that's why? No idea.

Have you buffed your jeep?
leeready
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 98
Project : 96 Suburban
Registration date : 2011-08-04

View user profile http://www.treskate.net

Back to top Go down

Post by LV2DRFT on September 20th 2012, 3:24 pm

Yeah, that's kind of how I thought it should be. I figured maybe these birds are extra acidic and the rocks were extra sharp...
I did buff it, that didn't help. Apparently I have to let it harden some more to get the best toughness. I did a lot of research and read that paint shops used to advertise "baked" enamel (as opposed to standard) as a better form of application. Now I see why, the baking process allowed it to get to it's peak potential faster than standard air drying.

cac and falcon just helped me through PM and I got a good answer, for anyone else reading.. If you paint (well at least roll like I did) withOUT hardener, it takes a while for the paint to fully harden to its best protective level... I'm going to assume at least a year... and I'm still not sure if that means *as good* as it would be with a hardener added to the mix or nearly as good. If I could go back again, I'd DEFINITELY have bought hardener with my initial supplies. The general consensus it seems is that hardener adds a little UV protection and at the very least a noticeable amount of chemical and physical protectiveness (more "bomb proof").

Word of advice to anyone using a hardener, whether it's rolling or spraying, I've heard the stuff is VERY bad for your health and if you inhale too much of it you can have heart-attack-like symptoms. If you take my advice and use hardener make sure you are also using a respirator, and skin protection if spraying. But for me, if I could go back to the start and do it again, I'd definitely add the mask and hardener to my list of supplies.
LV2DRFT
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Samilcar on September 21st 2012, 8:43 am

LV2DRFT wrote: If you take my advice and use hardener make sure you are also using a respirator, and skin protection if spraying.

One of the benefits of using hardener with the roller method is that a respirator is not needed. When spraying, the spray gun atomizes the paint, allowing the isocyanates in the hardener to be inhaled straight into your lungs (bad news). Nitrile gloves are still recommended when rolling, because the isocyanate can be absorbed directly through the skin.

According to this study: http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/hsl_pdf/2005/hsl0560.pdf, brushing and rolling resulted in no detectable isocyanate fumes. They attribute this to the fact that isocyanates don't evaporate very readily. You have to use some sort of vigorous mechanical means (like feeding it at high pressure through a spray gun) to get it airborne.
Samilcar
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 76
Project : 1998 Jaguar XJ8 - Kirker Ultra-Glo Black
Registration date : 2011-03-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LV2DRFT on October 5th 2012, 10:29 pm

Good to know... I just didn't want to be responsible for anyone getting hurt. That makes hardener seem a little easier to do Smile
LV2DRFT
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top