Epoxy Primer and Polyurethane 1PK

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Epoxy Primer and Polyurethane 1PK

Post by Kokain on September 7th 2012, 3:13 pm

Hello, I'm preparing for some roll on paint work in the next few weeks and I would like to ask a few questions as I already might have made a mistake with the paint I bought.
Polyurethane (single pack) which was custom mixed for me as my paint supplier don't sell off the shelf enamels. I was thinking to get the two pack option but it was more expensive and it dries faster, which might be counter active when it comes to self leveling.

Can I use mineral spirit to thin the paint?
Will it be the same as Rustoleum?
Will the application be the same using a roller and a brush?
Is this paint classed as oil based?
What would be the differences if it's not?

Of course before I get to the paint most metal parts I have will need primer. For the perfect rust preventing job I bought the really expensive 2 pack Epoxy Primer and I have the same mission to apply it with a brush and a roller.

What is best to use to thin epoxy primer?
Will it break it's rust preventing characterestics if it's thinned?
Kokain
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2010-07-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Epoxy Primer and Polyurethane 1PK

Post by cac1967 on September 7th 2012, 11:17 pm

As far as the polyurethane ms can not be used to thin the paint, use only urethane thinner's,usually epoxy primer is a 2 part mix , primer plus activater, urethane primer's are a 4:1:1 mix , 4 part's primer ,1 part activater, 1 part urethane reducer, epoxy primer is usually a 4:1 mix, hope this help's. thumbs up the polyurethane paint is not the same as a oil based or alkyd enamel, the polyurethane is a much tougher paint than any oil based enamel paint, the poly urethane has better uv resistence ,oil based enamel's offer little or no uv protection.
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on September 8th 2012, 4:00 pm

I have learned from past mistakes, follow the instuctions on the can. When mixing, lacquer is very forgiving, enamel some what forgiving, urethane not forgiving so mix as instructed. It's easier to throw a batch of paint away then to strip it of your car. I have seen paint do crazy things when not mixed correctly.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1275
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on September 8th 2012, 6:19 pm

x2 on that !!!!!
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kokain on September 10th 2012, 5:49 am

I've just purchased the recommended reducer for my polyurethane enamel which is a Synthetic TC/01 (TC=Top Coat; UC=Undercoat). This should be fine for what I need to paint but I'm having major issue getting a reducer for my Epoxy primer.
A car shop mentioned Urethane thinners would work, or I've read with PPG epoxy you may reduce it with Lacquer,enamel,or urethane reducers.
This is all good but I phoned every paint supplier and they say "what's urethane thinners? Do you mean Polyurethane?" I think what I'm going to do is try and thin it down with the Synthetic Top Coat that I just bought. It's pain in the *** when people never heard of epoxy primer and even the guy mixing it can't give you a lot of help.

So anyway is urethane and polyurethane the same thing?
Kokain
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on September 10th 2012, 6:18 am

yes...one in he same
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1275
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kokain on September 13th 2012, 4:35 pm

I've got some good news. The polyurethane thinners are fine for using with Epoxy primer. Managed to do 1 coat on some parts that I want to prevent rust in the future. The mix ratio I used was 4:1:1 and the viscosity wasn't bad at all, easy to brush on.

Unfortunately I ran into problems thing morning with the epoxy left in the mixing cup overnight. Even though I put a lead on it, it still started to dry and it was a lot thicker now. No problem, I'm going to add some thinners........big mistake. It didn't want to mix. The epoxy started to bubble and refuse the polyurethane so I put a tiny bit of activator and it got a little bit better (with lots of bubbles), but after I started to stir the same thing happen and the epoxy turned into honey. I threw the batch away, which luckily was 1 finger!

Now I'm trying to get some more items prepared so I can paint them in one go, but surely I can't always mix as much as I need. There is got to be a way of preventing it either from curing overnight or being able to thin it down in the morning. What do you guys normally do with Rustoleum? Maybe I should leave it in the fridge?
Kokain
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on September 13th 2012, 9:33 pm

If your are leaving the epoxy primer activated in the cup it will alway's harden , only mix small amount's and if you run out just mix another small batch, as for the rusto ,just thin your mix and put it in a sealed container with no hardner in it until your ready to paint, hope this help's.
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kokain on September 22nd 2012, 8:42 am

I'm becoming a big fan of epoxy primer. It's expensive but sticks to anything and it's water proof meaning rust can't penetrate it. Only thing is I need to slap on some paint after I'm done with the coating as it's not UV proof. I got the hang of using it with a brush and I'm getting great results.

http://i.imgur.com/JrUkH.jpg

I really appreciate all the info and help you gave me. I've got a finger deep pot with epoxy paint in the freezer and I will report back if the paint managed to preserve itself. Useful for those who can't always mix such small amount for a quick job.
Kokain
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on September 22nd 2012, 6:39 pm

great kokain, that's what were here for is to help one another!!! glad we could help you out!!!!!
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LarryB on September 26th 2012, 11:05 pm

Sounds like you have it figured out. Epoxy primer is already very thin. Reducer (and only a splash) is used when you're using it as a sealer (through a gun), so lays down super smooth. Dont forget about your recoat window...
LarryB
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 4
Project : 66 Valiant
Registration date : 2012-07-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down