Rock chips...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rock chips...

Post by LV2DRFT on September 14th 2012, 5:41 pm

So I just posted about bird poop eating thru all my layers... I got her on the road for 30 miles and noticed some decent rock chips now. Again they seem to go right through all the layers of rustoleum. Is this to be expected? Something I did wrong? Any remedies or maybe clear coat that will stop this from happening? It seems like this stuff just isn't as "tough" as normal auto paint. Am I wrong?

I put on 14 thin layers of 60 percent rustoleum and the rest MS.

Thanks!
LV2DRFT
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2011-11-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rock chips...

Post by LV2DRFT on September 15th 2012, 12:21 am

I guess I shoulda done more research earlier. I'm just now learning why hardener is important. I wonder if there will be a big difference or not using hardener. How many hardened coats should I do?
LV2DRFT
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by leeready on September 17th 2012, 4:37 pm

Why so many layers? Seems like too many to me. The layers underneath probably never got to cure and I don't think they will. Or at least not for a few months...if ever.

How long have you let the paint dry?

I believe most paint on cars get baked on. That's why they are a lot harder. I am no professional though. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
leeready
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 98
Project : 96 Suburban
Registration date : 2011-08-04

View user profile http://www.treskate.net

Back to top Go down

Post by LV2DRFT on September 20th 2012, 3:36 pm

lee, I think you're right. I mentioned on my other (similar) post about what I read, that paint shops used to bake the enamel on for a quicker drying time to it's full potential, rather than waiting and waiting (like I have to now haha).

I've been working on this project since February 2012. Coats 1-6 were rolled around March-April, coats 7-11 around May, and coats 12-14 late July. I rolled so many coats because I kept changing my mind haha. My dad got me this flattening agent from his work and it made me obsessed with trying to do flat black. After giving up on that, I had to get enough coats of gloss black back on to where it wouldn't burn through when sanding... Oh and I also "lost" a hood in the meantime (drove my jeep without reinstalling the backup hood catches... only had to learn that lesson once), so that meant more coats and more time :-) and now I have nice hood pins so that problem will NEVER happen again haha.

I ended up getting a good deal on a cheap car cover so I'm using that to protect from bird poo, so I don't really need to wax for a while, and I'm getting into better shape riding my bicycle to work so I think I'll take your advice and just let it dry longer.

Sorry for such a long post, but I'll paste in what I mentioned on my bird poop post for anyone reading and looking for advice:
cac and falcon just helped me through PM and I got a good answer, for anyone else reading.. If you paint (well at least roll like I did) withOUT hardener, it takes a while for the paint to fully harden to its best protective level... I'm going to assume at least a year... and I'm still not sure if that means *as good* as it would be with a hardener added to the mix or nearly as good. If I could go back again, I'd DEFINITELY have bought hardener with my initial supplies. The general consensus it seems is that hardener adds a little UV protection and at the very least a noticeable amount of chemical and physical protectiveness (more "bomb proof").

Word of advice to anyone using a hardener, whether it's rolling or spraying, I've heard the stuff is VERY bad for your health and if you inhale too much of it you can have heart-attack-like symptoms. If you take my advice and use hardener make sure you are also using a respirator, and skin protection if spraying. But for me, if I could go back to the start and do it again, I'd definitely add the mask and hardener to my list of supplies.

Thanks again for all the help guys!
LV2DRFT
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down