My experience and technique

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My experience and technique

Post by 89jeepyj on September 16th 2012, 6:56 pm

I painted my Jeep YJ with ACE Stops Rust Safety Orange, changing the color from black and have done a tone of reasearch on the roll on process. I tried the reccomended technique using hardener (4 parts paint, 3 parts spirits, 1 part hardener; sanding after 2 coats) after 4 very translucent coats, 2 sandings @ 600 grit, and much frustration from sanding thru to get rid of the orange peel, I tried my own way which I think worked much better.

I went with a thicker mix of 6 parts paint, 2 parts spirits, 1 part hardener. I also changed the process by doing 4 coats before first wetsanding with 320g, then 3 coats wetsanded with 400g, then 2 coats wetsanded with 600g, 2 coats wetsanded with 800g, and a final 2 coats before finish sanding up to 1500g. Doing the inital 4 coats did build up severe orange peel, but it was plenty of film thickness to sand it all out without burning thru using the 320g to get it nice and flat. I could have stopped at 11 coats, but wanted the extra 2 so I could get everything perfectly flat before buff and polish. Going from black to orange does take quite a bit to get full coverage as this used nearly 3 quarts of paint. I also have to say this method is not for the faint of heart to get a perfect finish, it takes a lot of time and elbow grease. Spraying would be easier and faster in any case, but if your like me without a place to spray, and nosey neighbors, this method can produce stunning finish results.
89jeepyj
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2012-09-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My experience and technique

Post by retired plumber on September 26th 2012, 7:23 pm

Thanks for the follow up.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pacermike on May 16th 2013, 3:22 am

Hey 89jeepyj,
Thanks for the tips. Got any pics of your results? I want to get a perfect finish too, curious to see what yours looks like.
Also, my condolences on the nosy neighbor situation. I'm living in that same prison myself. mad3
Pacermike
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2013-05-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by street_ride14 on May 16th 2013, 2:47 pm

How long did you wait in between coats ?
How long did you wait to cut/polish after your last paint coat ?
street_ride14
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 15
Project : 1991 Honda CRX
Registration date : 2013-03-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down