85 Ramcharger Rolled in Rustoleum

View previous topic View next topic Go down

85 Ramcharger Rolled in Rustoleum

Post by augieke on September 28th 2012, 11:51 pm

Yup, this was my first and only experience painting a car. It's a little rough on the edges, but I got a kick out of the results. So did my buddies.

I didn't use any hardener, but these pics were taken about a year after I painted it. First I took off the old clear coat with 220 grit. After that I did a couple of sandable primer coats of gray duplicolor primer sanding with 400 grit after each to smooth it out. Then I rolled on 5 coats of Hammered Silver, 50/50 mix with mineral spirits, using short foam rollers. Wet sanded with 1000 grit between each coat, letting it dry for a couple of days between each coat. Then I mixed what was left of my quart of hammered silver, about a 1/5 of a can, with about a half a quart of black hammered and presto I had hammered bronze for two coats on the bottom. I masked it all off with blue painters tape. I sanded and spray painted all my remaining trim with flat black Rustoleum. Decided to leave the bumpers chrome. All that held up surprisingly well too.

I wasn't to worried about the results, I was painting it for my nephew. Would you believe my brother thought it wasn't good enough so I sold it for more than I bought it for 10 years earlier. Of course I had put a Mopar 360 crate motor in it since then, but I think the paint job really increased the value at the end. I sort of wonder what it would have looked like if I put a couple of clear coats on it. This is just straight Rustoleum hammered finish with a final wet sand using 2000 grit. I can't remember if I ever waxed it, I think all I did was wash and dry it a few times. The only place I could really see roller strokes was on the hood, mainly because I painted it to long and it started to get tacky while I was painting. I did my best on the last coat to resist spending to much time on any one spot.

The interior is mainly Dupli-color beadliner with Kevlar and a lot of gray vinyl trim paint sprayed on.

I started to buff the third coat with McGuires, but I had no idea what I was doing and stopped about 2 minutes later. Needless to say, I have a lot of compound left. I think most paint jobs you see are done with glossy versions of Rustoleum. I haven't seen any other pics done with hammered yet. Maybe I'll find some in this forum.

All total, I think this ran me about $120, but I probably only used about $80 worth of what I bought.

Hope you enjoy the pics, good luck on yours!

Kevin

Before:

After:

Last edited by augieke on September 28th 2012, 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot about the initial primer coats)
augieke
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-09-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 85 Ramcharger Rolled in Rustoleum

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on September 29th 2012, 12:14 am

That looks good. Cool truck! I remember those back when they were new in the '70s! Plymouth had one too, I think it was the Trail Duster. Remember when Plymouth made trucks? Don't see too many of either anymore...
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by augieke on September 29th 2012, 10:45 am

Tommy Hillbilly wrote:That looks good. Cool truck! I remember those back when they were new in the '70s! Plymouth had one too, I think it was the Trail Duster. Remember when Plymouth made trucks? Don't see too many of either anymore...

Nope, you don't see Plymouth trucks any more. That was similar to the 70s version of the Ram Charger with the removable top. I was tempted to chop the top on this RC, but heard you had to do a lot of reinforcing to the body to keep it sound, even if you chopped it from the middle back. I've had two Ram Chargers, an 83 and an 85. But I decided to go with a Blazer to get that removable top.

Kevin

augieke
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-09-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on September 29th 2012, 10:06 pm

Look's good man!!!! I have alway's liked the old ramcharger's!!!! thumbs up
cac1967