98 Dodge Neon

View previous topic View next topic Go down

98 Dodge Neon

Post by TimG on October 5th 2012, 11:18 pm

Hello all, this is my first $50 paint job project. I actually have some experience with body work and paint from taking votech classes in high school & painting a few cars here and there since. For this project I wanted to spend as little money as possible, since its a 215,xxx mile daily driver that has a prior salvage title. I sprayed it first with rustoleum thinned with acetone and hardener, but it turned out horrible. I think it was because I used acetone because it was cool out that day, but after many set backs I didn't end up spraying it until the afternoon ( I had planned on early morning) I think it was to hot and the acetone didn't allow it to flow out slow enough and had terrible dry spray. I then sanded it down with 800 grit and rolled on a coat with 50% paint, 25% thinner & 25% penetrol and forgot the hardener. Then the next day (today) I rolled on another coat of the same mix plus hardener and I'm going to call it done since I still had full coverage from the spray job. The only problem I have encountered is I painted the trunk lid and left it up and some paint ran and dried on the top of it since it was up vertical all night. I had planned from the start to get a different trunk lid and paint it later anyway because this one has hail damage & it's just as easy to find a better one at pick and pull since these cars are so common. Over all I am happy so far the car had damage to the hood, drivers fender, and drivers door and the factory paint was shot, and I just wanted it to be more presentable, but not super nice since its a daily driver that sees lots of parking lots and construction sites where no one has much respect for others property. Sorry for the low quality phone pictures I will get some better ones after I reassemble it and color sand and buff. I still can't believe how these paint jobs lay down, this thing is like glass even with no rolling experiance.

TimG
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 98 Dodge Neon

Post by wantajav on October 6th 2012, 7:58 pm

looking good!

What rustoleum shade is that, never seen that one before.

I'm leery of acetone spray jobs, I know that's what is recommended, but all I've sen is premature fading and flow issues when the weather gets hot.

Nice project

Mike
wantajav
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-09-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TimG on October 6th 2012, 8:30 pm

Thanks Mike, here are a few more pics from today (still low quality phone pics) . The color is black, and I'm sure acetone was the problem when I sprayed it because today I was running low on thinner so I used acetone to wipe the bumpers down before I painted them and it was evaporation almost as fast as I could put it on and it was in the 50*s today. This is still with no sanding or buffing

If I had know it was going to be shiny I would have worn a nicer jacket Laughing

TimG
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-10-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on October 6th 2012, 11:26 pm

That is a nice shine!
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on October 7th 2012, 10:04 pm

Look's great man!!!!! thumbs up
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by leeready on October 15th 2012, 7:22 pm

I had the same problem when spraying rusto with acetone. I got tons of fisheyes! I thought it was because I didn't have a good mix or because I didn't clean off my hood good enough. I'm not sure (still not sure), but to me if you're going to spray rusto use ms and some penetrol.

The first pictures makes it look blackish-red. That would be a cool color.

By the way, great job!!
leeready
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 98
Project : 96 Suburban
Registration date : 2011-08-04

View user profile http://www.treskate.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content