Can you spray away the orange peel??

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Can you spray away the orange peel??

Post by rain74 on October 23rd 2012, 10:54 pm

So this 1st time newbie put on two thick first coats. In pictures the car looks impressive but close up there is orange peel.

If I thin the next coats out and make them light will they help 'fix' the current orange peel?

I got a variety pack of wet/dry sand paper (220/500/1000/1200) and I test sanded a bit on the roof of the Bug with the 500. I think the orange peel is too 'thick' for 500. I switched to the 220 and lightly sanded for a bit and there is dramatic improvement. If I sanded with the 220 I don't think I'd need to buff it out with the 500/1000/1200 as I could just continue putting on coats 3 and 4.

That's my ramble for tonight. Looks like I'll have to try and tackle this tomorrow.

rain74
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2012-09-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can you spray away the orange peel??

Post by rain74 on October 24th 2012, 9:31 pm

Well, I took my orbital sander with some 220 grit and gave it a medium sanding and got the orange peel (and drips) off. I upped the paint/ms/hardner ratio to 4:2:1, set the gun a bit differently and sprayed a very light coat. So far it looks beautiful.

Some of the places that I sanded got down past the primer and to bare metal. It suppose it will take a few of these thin coats to cover those spots.

Any advice is always appreciated.
rain74
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rain74 on October 25th 2012, 5:49 pm

I looked at the job this morning and there does appear to be what I think is orange peel (bumpy paint)

Before I do another coat I'll lightly wet sand with some 1000grit and see what happens.
rain74
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top