HELP ME PLEASE

View previous topic View next topic Go down

HELP ME PLEASE

Post by htxj on October 25th 2012, 1:34 am

Got my paint (primer and final), sandpaper dry/wet/blocks, and denatured alcohol.

Is it okay to use Klean Strip Odorless Mineral Spirits?! I've received mixed answers about this, apparently it increases the drying time?
htxj
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-10-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: HELP ME PLEASE

Post by Samilcar on October 25th 2012, 8:37 am

The only difference between odorless and regular mineral spirits is that the odorless version has been refined more to remove all traces of faster evaporating solvents (mainly xylene). Normal mineral spirits contains about 1% of these unremoved solvents, which gives the mineral spirits a slight odor.

It's possible that this 1% faster evaporating solvent mixture could cause a faster drying time when using regular mineral spirits, but I don't think it would make all that much of a difference. Maybe somebody else who has more experience with the two types can chime in?
Samilcar
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 76
Project : 1998 Jaguar XJ8 - Kirker Ultra-Glo Black
Registration date : 2011-03-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Samilcar on October 25th 2012, 11:11 am

Also, make sure it isn't the Klean Strip "Green" Odorless Mineral Spirits. This version is 65% water and only 35% mineral spirits. Definitely won't work for painting purposes. This version is milky white in color, not clearish like 100% mineral spirits.
Samilcar
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 76
Project : 1998 Jaguar XJ8 - Kirker Ultra-Glo Black
Registration date : 2011-03-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by htxj on October 29th 2012, 11:56 pm

It was the Klean Strip one with water, went to Home depot and the paint guy there told me to just buy the paint thinner made with mineral spirits. Also picked up penetrol.
htxj
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-10-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top