99 Jeep Cherokee Project-Black Rustoleum

View previous topic View next topic Go down

99 Jeep Cherokee Project-Black Rustoleum

Post by wmr309 on October 30th 2012, 9:06 pm

Hey guys

I just started my jeep cherokee project. its a 99 i picked up for a grand with a crushed hatch and no bumper. I tried to rattle can the hatch and bumper to match but it didnt work out so well and there was a huge beer can crumple on the passenger side. Ive been doing some research on "the $50 paint job" and decided to give it a go. My factory paint was pretty good but with mis matched panels and a huge crumple id rather have it all one color than near perfect paint. I have to admit i was a little nervous at first but it seems to be going okay. I wasnt sure how well it was going to work out considering im a full time college student along with work i dont have much time and this is my daily. I sanded with 400 grit and rattle canned primed it, looked so good i almost decided to keep it that way. The primer didnt get any love i guess im just impatient. I laid down 2 coats of black rusto and i have to admit im suprised at the results so far. The first coat looked like crap but after the 2nd coat dried there was a noticeable shine to it. Some of the parts are rough from the roller sliding but overall it doesnt look too bad. I did forget the hardener in my mix of 50/50 but the 3 and 4th coats will get it. I plan on wet sanding in the morning with 1000 grit and laying on another coat. I wasnt really concerned with getting it too glossy because im probably gonna beat it up in the woods but after seeing results so soon i want to see how good i can get it to look. Ill post some current pictures up tomorrow. [img][/img][img][/img][img][You probably cant tell in the picture but the paint is way off]
wmr309
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-10-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 99 Jeep Cherokee Project-Black Rustoleum

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on October 31st 2012, 3:05 pm

Did you repair the right rear quarter?
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wmr309 on November 1st 2012, 2:05 pm

Yes I did, not an expert though lol im gonna take it back down. The black shows a lot of dents!
wmr309
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wmr309 on November 1st 2012, 2:06 pm

[img][/img]
wmr309
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wmr309 on November 1st 2012, 2:10 pm

Fourth coat on and drying, the picture above was taken before I laid it on. Maybe i just have my hopes up but i dont think im gonna need another coat. After wet sanding the first two it was smooth and had almost complete coverage, i think i might be close to done. Im going to wet sand this coat with 2000 tomorrow and see how it turns out. How long should i wait before i buff it? Its averaging around 65 degrees right now with the high over the next few days above 70, should i be okay buffing after a couple weeks?
wmr309
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wantajav on November 1st 2012, 6:17 pm

Hello

Already has less orange peel than my former co worker's NEW black Jeep Wrangler 4 door

1.Take plenty of time wet sanding with 1500 then 2000 if you go straight to 2000 you won't smooth it enough

2.Wait at least a month before buffing I think you'll get better gloss (paint will be harder )

Nice job!

Mike

Last edited by wantajav on November 1st 2012, 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
wantajav
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2010-09-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top