Another newbie

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Another newbie

Post by n00bsaibat on November 26th 2012, 11:25 pm

Another newbie joining the club. I have a Firebird I'll be spraying soon. I do have a question though, Can you use the Majic tractor and implement clear over rustoleum? I wouldn't mind having a clear coat over the paint for added durability Very Happy
n00bsaibat
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-11-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Another newbie

Post by 63Falconconvert on November 27th 2012, 11:05 am

Welcome to Rolled On....
What year bird do you have?
If it's OK I would like to share my thoughts on clear coat. Clear coat was designed to be used over metalic colors to bring out the metalic and to give the paint "depth". It adds nothing to paint durability. Your durability is based on a few things, hardness of your paint, how well it has adhired to whats under your paint and if your paint is cured correctly. Adding a clear coat will do nothing for your paint other then make more work not to mention that it makes spot repairs more difficult. The base coat color does not have a hardener in it and is designed to dry very quick, Rusto enamel is a very slow drying paint so if you add clear over Rusto your Rusto will never cure correctly and will probably bubble with in a few months.
This is only my opinion based on my experience.
Again welcome and feel free to ask any questions. There are some great people on this forum that are more then happy to help you out.
Bob
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1262
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by n00bsaibat on November 27th 2012, 12:13 pm

That's actually the advice I was looking for. So no clearcoat it is. The car is a 99 that will be seeing quite a bit of track use, which is why I decided to paint it this way. No point in beating up an expensive paint job.
n00bsaibat
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-11-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top