1992 Ranger XLT 2.0

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1992 Ranger XLT 2.0

Post by tbirdsps on December 13th 2012, 2:57 pm

The 2.0 in the title refers to the second time around. I definately learned from my project that I did over 2 years ago. I'm not happy right now. While the truck is a good 10 footer I made some poor choices I think.

1. I only spent 9 days on the project in the beginning. Not enough prep work.
2. I did not use the Professional grade rustoleum.
3. I'm tired of the color already.

The first year was fine but now the gray is fading and I have to polish about every two months to maintain the gloss. Is this due to using the regular rustoleum instead of the pro?

I want to go back with a dark blue. I thought I could live with the gray/white but long term I'm not happy with it.

Also I think the truck will be in my possestion for the rest of my days. It can't be replaced. Everyone has abandoned the small truck market.

Here's the original post:
http://rolledon.forummotion.com/t537-1992-ranger-xlt?highlight=1992+Ranger

At least the paint investment is small. Smile
tbirdsps
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2008-01-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1992 Ranger XLT 2.0

Post by 63Falconconvert on December 13th 2012, 3:28 pm

Welcome back....
I would use Rusto Topside marine paint and a hardener. This will give you the UV protection that you're looking for.
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=4
They do have a navy blue color.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1275
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Samilcar on December 14th 2012, 9:51 am

I second your comment about "not enough prep work". I had heard before that a good paint job was 99% prep work, but I just thought it was a slight exaggeration to get a point across. I found out that it's no exaggeration. There are small sections of my amateur first-time body filler work that show up as slightly wavy areas in the nice shiny new paint (arghhh!).

If I had to do it over again, I would have a lot more light in the garage I painted in, and use a long board sander to smooth all areas with body filler. A small hand block sander can achieve a "good enough" smooth and level area (to the eye) as long as the area isn't freshly painted and polished. That fresh shiny paint highlights ANY imperfections underneath it.

I also second 63Falconconvert's recommendation of using hardener. It should cost around $30 for a pint of hardener, mixed at the ratio of one pint to one gallon of paint (8:1 paint/hardener).
Samilcar
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 76
Project : 1998 Jaguar XJ8 - Kirker Ultra-Glo Black
Registration date : 2011-03-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tbirdsps on February 19th 2013, 1:09 pm

When I do it again I'll definately pay more attention to fixing the small dents and I'll try brightside. It sure seems to go on better. More color choices as well.
tbirdsps
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2008-01-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top