Wiping/degreasing during prep work

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wiping/degreasing during prep work

Post by 88k5jimmy on February 7th 2013, 12:01 am

I have been doing a lot of research on prepping/wiping/degreasing and was wondering what you guys recommend for a cleaner/degreaser in all stages of body work? I have to clean a raw plastic bumper before primer and paint and one of the collision videos I've watched uses Isopropyl Alcohol prior to applying the adhesion promoter. The video states it works just fine and no other degreasers are needed. Can I use compressed air and then wipe with Isopropyl Alcohol after sanding primer and filler for cleaning and degreasing the surface?

Also, after I get started rolling, is a tack cloth the best way to wipe down the surface prior to recoat? What about after wet sanding? Should I use a solvent based (Isopropyl alcohol) to degrease and clean the surface or just use compressed air and a tack cloth?

Thanks
88k5jimmy
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2013-01-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wiping/degreasing during prep work

Post by Samilcar on February 7th 2013, 2:04 pm

I tried using a tack cloth after wet sanding, but wasn't satisfied with it. I never trusted it enough to pull up all of the debris from the freshly sanded surface. I ended up using denatured alcohol and a clean white rag. The rag left behind some small linty fibers, but these were easily blown away after wiping.

Prior to the first dry sanding of the old paint, I used acetone to wipe down all of the old paint because I was paranoid about traces of old silicone wax being ground down into the paint during sanding. This worked well, but only on the paint, and not on unpainted plastic surfaces (black side mirrors). The acetone had some sort of reaction with these mirrors that started to give a sticky feeling. I went over these side mirrors afterwards with denatured alcohol and didn't have any problems with any sort of chemical reactions.

Samilcar
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 76
Project : 1998 Jaguar XJ8 - Kirker Ultra-Glo Black
Registration date : 2011-03-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top