67 Beetle

View previous topic View next topic Go down

67 Beetle

Post by way2fasts on February 26th 2013, 10:27 pm

Hello everybody, I was a member on here a few years ago and at that time I painted my truck, well the paint on my truck is holding up better than expected, after close to two years no fade even after sitting out in the sun. Well now I am going to do it again with a 67 beetle I just got. The car itself is pretty clean, but the paint was gone so i figured it would be a good project to puts around on here and there. Now the last time I painted I used rustoleoum and I was happy with their selection. This time I am after a certain shade of green, I know that if i go to a paint shop they can mix me up a can of the color, using dupicolor or some other paint that is intended to be sprayed out of a gun. My question is can I use this type of paint, I really don't see any difference between the two as long as the stuff I buy is oil based and I ad a leveler agent. If I am wrong about this does anyone have any suggestions on where to get some paint mixed up to a custom shade?

way2fasts
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2011-05-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 67 Beetle

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on February 27th 2013, 4:15 pm

Keep checking, because I suspect that you can find a place which will mix up Rustoleum (or any similar oil-based paint) to your intended color. I think most major hardware stores or paint suppliers can do this.

Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by way2fasts on March 1st 2013, 2:11 pm

according to a person at homedepot rustoleum will not allow stores to mix their paint, so I am looking for some other options,

way2fasts
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by crerus75 on March 9th 2013, 10:19 am

I believe my local Ace hardware store sells tintable enamel that is comparable to Rustoleum (Rust Stop or whatever the house brand is). Check around. I've also heard that Sherwin Williams paint stores have something that is tintable.

crerus75
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-03-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by way2fasts on March 10th 2013, 1:35 am

bought some at ace, they have a scanner there so i brought in a pic of the color scanned it and got the exact color out, amazing

way2fasts
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JWP on March 14th 2013, 1:58 pm

I too will be rolling on paint on a Beetle. I was going to recommend Ace but you've found that I see.
Have you thought much about how you will do the area under the vents. I suppose a preval sprayer may work. I'm not sure if you are changing color, but I'm going to actually change colors from light blue to dark blue. I am torn between using Interlux and Rustoleum. They both have a dark blue I like. Rustoleum is available locally and Interlux is mail order only in my area.
Good luck

JWP
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-11-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by way2fasts on March 20th 2013, 10:56 pm

JWP wrote:I too will be rolling on paint on a Beetle. I was going to recommend Ace but you've found that I see.
Have you thought much about how you will do the area under the vents. I suppose a preval sprayer may work. I'm not sure if you are changing color, but I'm going to actually change colors from light blue to dark blue. I am torn between using Interlux and Rustoleum. They both have a dark blue I like. Rustoleum is available locally and Interlux is mail order only in my area.
Good luck

for the vents i went to homedepot and bought this spraypaint gun for five bucks, it allows you to put your paint in and spray it, and for brands, i dont think it really matters too much the formulas are so identical they will all do the job well

way2fasts
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:28 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top