Automotive Acrylic Urethane on top of Alkyd Enamel?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Automotive Acrylic Urethane on top of Alkyd Enamel?

Post by roller painter on March 14th 2013, 8:03 pm

I have done a long exhaustive search on this topic, but i could not find the answer. I do not mean to offend anyone. My question is: Can you paint an automotive acrylic (Solvent Based) enamel or automotive acrylic (Solvent Based) urethane enamel, or automotive acrylic (Solvent Based) urethane paint, on top of a Rustoleum Type (Alkyd oil based
enamel paint)? Would you have to use a Sealer or Primer/Sealer first, to cover the Alkyd Oil Based Rustoleum Type Paint? Or would you have to sand down all of the Alkyd oil based Rustoleum Type Paint and alkyd oil based Primer, to Re-Paint the vehicle with a newer/more modern type Automotive Acrylic (Solvent Based) Urethane paint?
roller painter
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2013-03-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Automotive Acrylic Urethane on top of Alkyd Enamel?

Post by cac1967 on March 19th 2013, 10:38 pm

If you are going to paint it with a good automotive paint then at least sand it with 320or 400 and at least 3 coats of a good epoxy primer then apply 3 coat's of a good 2 k primer and then sand and paint as normal, the epoxy primer should take care of any problem's that could arise by just painting over a coat of oil based enamel.hope this shed's some light on your question. thumbs up
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top