2001 Mitsubishi Mirage

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 2001 Mitsubishi Mirage

Post by SilentCool on June 6th 2013, 9:13 pm

Nice work, I have the same car and color, just the LS coupe with Sun roof and wing. Your work is looking good. Hoping to start mine soon, just wish I can do as well as you have done so far. By the way, if you need any help or advice mechanically or cosmetically you should check out Mirage Forums.
SilentCool
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2013-06-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 88k5jimmy on June 7th 2013, 10:34 pm

Thanks. I am currently waiting on my primer options. I am talking to a couple guys on the board here to determine my best primer. I originally said I was going to use the Rusto filler primer but like another member stated, when you shake the can, you can feel how thin it is. My theory is it's better suited for spraying instead of rolling, or it was never meant to be a hi-build primer in the first place. So I started researching the primer/surfacer that 63Falconconvert used, Rusto primer/surfacer, only to find out it is not offered in Oklahoma and I cannot order it from any of the retailers Rusto lists on their website.

My next option for a hi-build primer is the Duplicolor primer/surfacer and I can get it locally. Autozone cross references the Duplicolor with the Rusto primer/surfacer part number. I am waiting for a pm reply from a fellow board member before I go that route.

I am also waiting on Mother Nature to calm down here in Oklahoma before I finally park the car and leave it until I get the final coat of paint on. My other vehicle doesn't see much weather and it for sure doesn't see hail!! Plus I have been monitoring the temp and humidity in my garage to see when the lowest humidity is so I know what time of day is best for rolling.

I also am a member on a Mirage forurm for the reasons you listed above and I plan on linking this thread over there when I am finally done..sit back and watching the responses.

Last edited by 88k5jimmy on June 8th 2013, 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
88k5jimmy
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2013-01-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCool on June 7th 2013, 11:40 pm

Hopefully you can pass on your experiences. I have been unable to start my project because I don't feel confident enough to do the body work. Simply put...I don't know where to start. For example, I have some major rust on a driver side rocker panel, bubbles on driver side door & some minor scratches on my bumpers. Clear coat is peeling a bit on rear body pillars and I have some faded paint on one side of the vehicle. So...yeah....lol! The forum I'm on is Mirageforumsdotnet.

Good luck and best wishes for your project. Don't leave the pics out.
SilentCool
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on June 11th 2013, 10:18 am

looks great so far. Nice job on the body work.
rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 321
Project : 1968 Mustang/1979 Corvette/2011 Corvette
Registration date : 2008-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 88k5jimmy on June 16th 2013, 7:08 pm

Today I started to remove all the temporary primer to get ready for the rolled on Duplicolor primer/surfacer.  I removed the mirrors, weatherstripping, front bumper and lights last night so I could start sanding first thing this morning.  I didn't figure removing the temporary primer would be that difficult, so I started with 400 grit on the DA.  Didn't take long to realize that wouldn't cut it and started with 180 on the DA, which removed the temporary primer, followed by 220 on the DA, followed by 400 on the DA.  Now the entire car has been DA sanded with 400.  Then I washed with soap and water to prep for the final wipe down before primer/surfacer.

01 Mirage <---click here

Last edited by 88k5jimmy on June 27th 2013, 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
88k5jimmy
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCool on June 16th 2013, 8:43 pm

Nice man, happy to see your project progressing.
SilentCool
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 88k5jimmy on June 19th 2013, 7:22 pm

First coat of primer/surfacer has been rolled on.  Did not get complete coverage but I wasn't going for complete coverage on the first coat.  My mixture ratio was 60/40 (primer/surfacer to laquer thinner).  It seemed to roll on pretty easy.  I would roll the roller in the primer and then roll the excess off in the tray and I also put the roller on end and pushed any excess primer out of the roller.  I rolled at approximately 9:00 am with temps in the high 70's to low 80's with approximately 75%-80% humidity.  Took about 1.5 hrs to complete the first coat.  It did seem as time passed the primer seemed to dry faster than when I started.  For some reason if I went back over an area I had already primed, the primer would string out.  Maybe the increase in temperature and humidity was affecting the drying/flash time.  It does have an orange peel finish but I think that is to be expected and I am going to block sand after full coverage anyway.  The primer/surfacer is pretty pungent in a closed garage.  I think next time I will crack the garage door a little, but not to far as to introduce extra dust nor affect the temp and humdity to drastically. 

88k5jimmy
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SilentCool on June 19th 2013, 8:45 pm

Wow dude, looks good so far.
SilentCool
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah Zarq on June 19th 2013, 9:28 pm

You have come a long way! That is going to look great.
Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 128
Project : 1992 Nissan Sentra, 1984 Dodge Ram, 1995 Chrysler Concorde
Registration date : 2010-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 88k5jimmy on June 21st 2013, 12:01 pm

Rolled primer/surfacer coat #2 on this morning.  Approximately 79 degrees, 75% humidity.  Achieved complete coverage but I think I want to roll one more coat of primer/surfacer on before I block sand.  I also repainted the front bumper support and support area and hood hinge Rusto flat black spray can because you will see it after the new bumper is on. 

The second coat went on pretty much like the first.  It would dry/flash pretty quick so I had to be cautious of my roller marks.  I did end up with some roller marks but with the combination of another coat and block sanding I think these will go away.  The texture/surface has orange peel and the best way I can describe it is orange peel/textured.  Was this normal for you guys that rolled on primer/surfacer before block sanding?  I'm hoping the paint doesn't act the same (from reading everyone elses posts about Topside it shouldn't), however when I paint, it may end up painting earlier in the morning, 5:00 am-ish or whenever the lowest temperature & humidity is.
88k5jimmy
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on June 22nd 2013, 6:29 am

I experienced the same OP with primer/surface.  It sands very easily.
rmdhokie
200+ Poster!
200+ Poster!

Number of posts : 321
Project : 1968 Mustang/1979 Corvette/2011 Corvette
Registration date : 2008-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 88k5jimmy on June 30th 2013, 11:16 pm

So I've been in the process of block sanding since my last post. I started out with 400 but it wasn't abbrasive enough so I switched to 220, which sands the primer/surfacer pretty easily. I have sanded down to various stages (bare metal, red paint, filler, primer) in the process of blocking/removing the orange peel of the primer/surfacer. I plan on spot priming (with spray can) the larger bare metal areas and exposed filler for sure but I think there are two options to the spot priming process:

After blocking with 200, spot priming and then block with 400. My only concern with spot priming before blocking with 400 is the primer will not fill in the 220 grit scratches and I'll end up spot priming twice (before blocking with 400 and after blocking with 400)

I had also thought about blocking with 400, spot priming, then feathering the spot primer with 400 to blend to the rest of the 400 blocked panels.

Also, should I use some Duplicolor primer (to stay consistent with primer brands), Rusto filler primer, or Rusto auto primer? I'm not sure I've seen what the diference is between the Rusto filler primer and auto primer...?

I'll upload pics when I get done blocking so you guys can see what I'm talking about in regards to spot priming.
88k5jimmy
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 88k5jimmy on July 6th 2013, 7:23 pm

Block sanding....done!!  Finished blocking with 220 and then went back over it with 400.  Here are the results:

I want to spot primer the areas where filler is showing and blend with 400 but what about the areas where there is bare metal?  If I primer the bare metal areas, it seems like I might as well primer entire panels, which I wasn't planning on doing.  I'm using the Topside so what are your thoughts on not priming the bare metal areas and rolling Topside right over? Larger bare metal areas I might hit with primer.

Also, what primer would you guys recommend?  I have the Rusto filler primer in the spray can but should I stick with Duplicolor primer to stay consistent or just use the Rusto?

01 Mirage <--- click here
88k5jimmy
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 88k5jimmy on July 12th 2013, 10:39 pm

I ended up spot priming the bare metal areas and areas where the filler showed after my previous block sanding of the primer/surfacer.  I decided I would try the Rusto Auto Primer in the spray can.  It seems to spray a little different than the Rusto filler primer to me but it almost seems like when I block sanded, it acted lke a guide coat as well.  Easy to see where I had blocked and where I had not.  Blocked the entire car with 220 and then 400..again.  In a few areas I ended up going to bare metal but not as bad as when I blocked the primer/surfacer.  I think I'm just going to go with it and roll the Topside over the bare metal areas, otherwise I'd be priming and sanding until the new year.  Also mocked up the front bumper so I can spray the adhesion promoter and primer.  Then I'll sand the front bumper and lip I'm gong to add and I "should" be ready to start rolling paint.

88k5jimmy
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 88k5jimmy on July 18th 2013, 8:33 pm

Sprayed the XXX SEM adhesion promoter and first two coats of Rusto auto primer on the front bumper and front lip.  I'm spraying very light coats of primer for the bumper and lip.  I've found very light coats on plastic makes the primer/paint stick and last.  Hopefully I will have the same luck on the Mirage.  I also spot primed a few areas where I wanted better primer coverage.  Pics are after the first coat:

Last edited by 88k5jimmy on July 19th 2013, 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
88k5jimmy
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 88k5jimmy on July 19th 2013, 10:41 pm

Front bumper was sanded with 220 then followed up with 400.  Spot primered areas were blocked as well.  All that is left is to sand the front lip and I am ready for the final wash of the entire car and tack cloth wipe down before paint.  Sanding the areas where the fog lights would go and the middle grill portion took the longest.  Probably a precursor to what wet sanding will be like.

88k5jimmy
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on July 20th 2013, 12:46 am

Good luck! Looking forward to results.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by phordguy on July 28th 2013, 9:35 am

Looking good, that mirage will look better than new when you are finished with the bodywork and paint!!!
phordguy
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-02-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 88k5jimmy on July 28th 2013, 1:14 pm

First coat rolled on.  I wiped down with Rusto wax and grease remover and then mixed my paint.  I did the exact same ratio as Samilcar did in his thread and followed the same induction time for the hardener:

8 parts Rustoleum
6 parts acrylic enamel reducer (slow)
2 parts mineral spirits
1 part synthetic enamel hardener

The hardener (5 Star Synthetic Enamel Hardener 5132) was mixed with the Rustoleum and allowed a 15 minute "induction time" before the MS and reducer were mixed in.

I have never rolled anything like this except for the primer/surfacer so I might have rolled the roof too heavy before getting my technique down of putting the roller in the paint and rolling out the excess and then standing the roller on end and pushing an excess paint out.  Went on pretty easy with bubbles appearing but them popping and leveling out just like I've read on here.  The only thing I am concerned about is I can see the 400 grit sanding scratches through the paint.  Is this normal after the first coat and will fill in with the multiple coats that will be put on?

The scratches are evident in these pictures:

88k5jimmy
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on July 28th 2013, 11:41 pm

I'd probably just try to get a bunch of thick paint into the scratches, and hope for it to level out, but the best way would be to get some spot putty in those scratches - it is still just your first coat.

It's looking flat now, but get a few more coats on there, and that baby is going to start to shine.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Samilcar on July 29th 2013, 8:15 am

After the fourth coat and second wet sanding, I'll bet you won't see those 400 grit scratches anymore.
Samilcar
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 74
Project : 1998 Jaguar XJ8 - Kirker Ultra-Glo Black
Registration date : 2011-03-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 88k5jimmy on July 29th 2013, 1:23 pm

I rolled coat #2 on this morning.  I think the first coat was just drank up by the primer because coat #2 seemed to fill in the 400 grit scratched more but they are still visible.  I was planning on wet sanding with 600 grit my first time.  I will post pics of coat #2 later.

Updated with pics:

88k5jimmy
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 88k5jimmy on July 30th 2013, 8:34 pm

This is my first attempt at wetanding so I just did one fender to see if I was doing it right.  As you can see in the pics, I think I need to take it to the point where there is no more orange peel, regardless if I go through the paint.  Is that correct?  I left some spots high so you guys could see the difference in the areas I thought I did enough sanding on and the areas I think still need more sanding.  I used 600 grit with a 3M sponge.

Thoughts, tips, opinions?

Couple more pics in the link below:

01 MIrage <---click here
88k5jimmy
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Samilcar on July 30th 2013, 8:55 pm

Looks good so far. Those low spots (especially visible in that last pic as small, darker areas) should level out with subsequent coats, and eventually your surface will be very flat and smooth, with fewer and fewer low spots after each wet sanding.
Samilcar
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 74
Project : 1998 Jaguar XJ8 - Kirker Ultra-Glo Black
Registration date : 2011-03-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rmdhokie on July 31st 2013, 6:21 am

looking good.
rmdhokie