Can you Roll On Acrylic Enamel Paint?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Can you Roll On Acrylic Enamel Paint?

Post by roller painter on April 10th 2013, 6:39 am

Can you use rustoleum (high performance) protective enamel, thinned with mineral spirits to do a roller paint job on a car? I know people have used the rustoleum (stops rust) protective enamel thinned with mineral spirits with good results. but i did a search on the Rustoleum (High Performance) protective enamel being used for this process and i could not find an answer.

Last edited by roller painter on April 14th 2013, 8:38 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : To get more replies.)
roller painter
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2013-03-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can you Roll On Acrylic Enamel Paint?

Post by HMCFab9 on April 11th 2013, 12:56 am

I am thinking about doing the same thing on my truck. I am not going to use rustoleum though. From everybody / every forum I've been on, they all say use Valspar. You can get a hardener with it that is supposed to make it last longer & set up a lot quicker.
HMCFab9
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 8
Job/hobbies : Auto Restoration. I like anything motorized & almost all kinds of racing. I also like metalwork / welding, fabrication
Project : 69Camaro (being restored) 92 silverado (work beater)
Registration date : 2013-04-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Samilcar on April 11th 2013, 8:28 am

The Rustoleum high performance has a few percent higher solids content than the stops rust line, so it should cover a little bit better. Otherwise, it should perform identically using the roller method thinned 50/50 with mineral spirits.

The Valspar hardener will work with either Valspar or Rustoleum enamel paints.
Samilcar
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 76
Project : 1998 Jaguar XJ8 - Kirker Ultra-Glo Black
Registration date : 2011-03-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on April 11th 2013, 9:40 pm

x2 thumbs up
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roller painter on April 12th 2013, 11:24 am

Which Valspar Paint are they using on all of those forums? Is it the Anti-Rust Armor Oil Enamel? Or is it the Tractor and Implement Oil Enamel?
roller painter
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on April 13th 2013, 11:32 pm

The tractor and implement paint is the better of the two as it is a catalyzed paint , which is just a hardening agent for better gloss and durability, thumbs up
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roller painter on April 14th 2013, 7:14 pm

As you probably know, Valspar also makes a "Restoration Series" Tractor and Implement Oil Base (Alkyd) Enamel Paint, which is suppose to be an even better Quality Paint than their Regular Tractor and Implement Oil Base (Alkyd) Enamel Paint. And Valspar, Rustoleum and several other Paint Manufacturers also make their Advanced Industrial and Commercial/Machinery Oil Base (Alkyd) Enamel Paints, which were designed to be able to take the abuse of being out in the sun and weather/elements all year round. I wonder if these Oil Base (Alkyd) Enamel Paints are just as good, or the same as, or better than the Automotive Oil Base (Alkyd) Enamel Paints, that are no longer being sold by the Automobile Paint Manufacturers? Or were those Automotive Oil Base (Alkyd) Enamels mixed with "Special" ingredients and additives, that no other Paint company is adding to these Oil Base (Alkyd) Enamel Paints that are still available to us for sale?
roller painter
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on April 14th 2013, 7:56 pm

Paint technology has changed , oil based or alykd enamel,s lost out to laquer's in the 1950's, and laquer lost out to acrylic enamel in the early to mid 1960's, and the reason automaker's quit using it they were looking for better durability, because the average consumer does not take great care of their car's finish, auto maker's are alway's looking for a better long lasting finish, hence the use of base coat clear coat paint's today.
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Can you roll on Acrylic Enamels?

Post by roller painter on April 14th 2013, 8:24 pm

Thank you for the answers. I do know that Acrylic Enamels, Acrylic Urethane Enamels, Urethanes and Base Coat/Clear Coat are the newer modern paints available these days. But I have never seen anyone that was able to use the "roll on" method with those paints, that is the reason that I have been asking about the Alkyd Enamel Paints, which seem to be the only paints that you can roll on. I heard that the Acrylics just dry/flash too fast (which is excellent for spraying), but for the "Roller Paint Job", they do not stay "wet" long enough to "self level" and "flow out" the roller lines and bubbles, compared to the Slow Drying Oil Base (Alkyd) Enamel Paints. I do not think that there is anything else that you can do to an acrylic enamel, to make it dry as slow as an Oil Base (Alkyd) Enamel Paint, is there?
roller painter
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on April 14th 2013, 9:32 pm

If you roll when the temp is in the 50's- low 60's with low humidity your dry time will slow down a lot. When I did my 63 humidity played huge part in how the paint flowed.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1275
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by rebar on July 1st 2017, 12:53 pm

roller painter wrote: As you probably know, Valspar also makes a "Restoration Series" Tractor and Implement Oil Base (Alkyd) Enamel Paint, which is suppose to be an even better Quality Paint than their Regular Tractor and Implement Oil Base (Alkyd) Enamel Paint. And Valspar, Rustoleum and several other Paint Manufacturers also make their Advanced Industrial and Commercial/Machinery Oil Base (Alkyd) Enamel Paints, which were designed to be able to take the abuse of being out in the sun and weather/elements all year round. I wonder if these Oil Base (Alkyd) Enamel Paints are just as good, or the same as, or better than the Automotive Oil Base (Alkyd) Enamel Paints, that are no longer being sold by the Automobile Paint Manufacturers? Or were those Automotive Oil Base (Alkyd) Enamels mixed with "Special" ingredients and additives, that no other Paint company is adding to these Oil Base (Alkyd) Enamel Paints that are still available to us for sale?

Old post sorry..  

Since Valspar "Restoration Series" is discontinued..  Can you be more specific about the other Advanced Industrial Machinery Oil Base (Alkyd) Enamel Paints please?  My white van sits outside all the time, and I need a paint that wont fade or fail anytime soon.

Thanks!
rebar
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 17
Job/hobbies : working
Project : Cummins E350
Registration date : 2017-06-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on July 2nd 2017, 7:35 am

Use Rustoleum Marine paint with a enamel hardener. This will give to a hard finish with UV protection
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by rebar on July 2nd 2017, 10:51 am

63Falconconvert wrote:Use Rustoleum Marine paint with a enamel hardener. This will give to a hard finish with UV protection

Thanks Bob..  You answered the question I asked on my intro New Members post here.

Is you falcon still looking good? How many years now?
rebar
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 17
Job/hobbies : working
Project : Cummins E350
Registration date : 2017-06-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on July 3rd 2017, 8:27 am

Yes still looking great. I believe I rolled it in 2011. It was well worth the work involved.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top