Can you Paint with a Bristle PaintBrush instead of a Roller?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Can you Paint with a Bristle PaintBrush instead of a Roller?

Post by roller painter on April 11th 2013, 10:38 pm

Are there any reasons why most people prefer to use a Roller to apply the Paint, instead of a Bristle Paint Brush or a Foam Paint Brush?
roller painter
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2013-03-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Can you Paint with a Bristle PaintBrush instead of a Roller?

Post by Ian67 on April 12th 2013, 12:52 pm

I'm not an expert on this but I would imagine that there are several reasons. A brush would/could leave fine lines and would be harder to control the thickness of the paint. A roller allows for smooth, even, consistent paint application. Plus the rollers are made of a dense foam, leaving behind only bubbles that will pop shortly after application.

Now, a foam brush isn't a bad idea, but only for hard to reach places where a roller won't fit. I've used a foam brush in and around my grille and tail light housings with success. Keep in mind that these hard to reach areas are also hard to see, which is good because I'm convinced that the final product wouldn't be as good as with a roller, especially since these harder to reach areas are also harder to sand.

Like I said though, I'm not an expert and there might be other situations where a bristle brush could be handy, but I think the foundation of this method is based on thin, even, smooth coats and I don't think you'd have to do a lot more coats, and more sanding to achieve the same results. Plus, foam rollers are cheaper than bristle brushes, which is great as you could use a new one for every 2 coats and still not be as expensive as a decent brush.

Ian
Ian67
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 104
Job/hobbies : Camaros, Computers and Movies
Project : 67 Camaro - Black on Black
Registration date : 2010-06-29

View user profile http://www.turbocamaro.ca

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top