Edited: Comparing Alkyd Enamel To Automotive Acrylic Enamel

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Edited: Comparing Alkyd Enamel To Automotive Acrylic Enamel

Post by roller painter on April 13th 2013, 12:24 am

I am trying to compare the differences between (Rustoleum Professional Oil Base Type (Alkyd) Enamel Paints and Rustoleum Stops Rust Oil Base (Alkyd) Enamel paints), to the older style Automotive oil base (Alkyd) enamel Paints, that the auto makers used to paint cars with in the past. Do the rustoleum paints last as long on a car as the older Automotive Alkyd Enamels? Did older the automotive alkyd enamel paints have more (Ultra Violet Protection and Color Fade Resistance) from the suns rays? Are the RustoleumType Alkyd Enamel Paints as strong as the older automotive alkyd enamel paints, that were used in the past? Are any of the automotive paint makers still selling Oil Base (Alkyd) Enamel Auto Paints? If anyone is still making these paints... Can they mix these paints to match an original automotive factory Paint Color Code?

Last edited by roller painter on April 14th 2013, 9:52 pm; edited 4 times in total
roller painter
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2013-03-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Edited: Comparing Alkyd Enamel To Automotive Acrylic Enamel

Post by 63Falconconvert on April 13th 2013, 11:17 am

Ill try to answer your questions based on my finding over the years;
Rusto paint will fade and chalk in the sun over time. Adding a enamel hardener will slow this down. The only way that you will be able to wet sand and buff enamal is by adding a hardener to the mix.
Are they as good as the older enamals, probably not. Hence the price of the paint.
Can you get a decent looking paint job out of a can of Rusto, absolutly, keep it waxed and it will last you for years.
If you can get your hands of automitive enamels you can roll then using this method and have great results.
Not sure if my ramblings helped
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1275
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Comparing Industrial Alkyd Enamel to Automotive Alkyd Enamel

Post by roller painter on April 14th 2013, 7:55 pm

Yes, your answers do help. As you probably know, their are several paint companies that still produce their Advanced "Industrial", "Commercial", "Machinery" and "Tractor and Implement" Oil Base (Alkyd) Enamel Paints, That are made to take the abuse of the Suns (Ultra Violet) Rays, Power Washing and the weather/elements outside all year around. I wonder if these paints are as good as, or even better than the Automotive Oil Base (Alkyd) Enamel Paints, that are not being sold anymore from the Automobile Paint Companies? Or were the Automobile Oil Base (Alkyd) Enamel Paints mixed with any "special" automotive paint ingredients and additives, that are not being used in these Advanced Industrial (Alkyd) Paints, (that i just wrote about above), that are still available for us to buy?
roller painter
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on April 14th 2013, 9:29 pm

Im gonna bet it's the same paint as the old school enamel. I used Rusto Marine paint on my 63 with great success.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1275
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Can you Roll On Acrylic Enamel Auto Paint?

Post by roller painter on April 14th 2013, 9:33 pm

I would like to be able to Roll On a newer more modern Automotive Acrylic enamel Auto Paint, or even the newer "Waterbourne" (Water Based) Automobile Base Coat/Clear Coat Paints, But they dry/flash too fast (which is excellent for spraying), but they don't stay wet long enough to self level and flow out the roller lines and bubbles like the slower drying (Alkyd) enamel Paints (like Rustoleum). Even if you can get these newer Acrylic Paints to dry slower, It will probably still dry/flash too fast. Is there a way to make them dry to "Dust Free" in 80-120 minutes like the Oil Base (Alkyd) Enamels? Most acrylic enamel auto paints dry to "Dust Free" (which as you know means: dry to the point where no dust will stick to it) in 30 minutes or less. 30 minutes is obviously not enough time for the paint to flow out and level. When you roll on the acrylic automobile enamel paint it starts to set up/and dry right away. And if you keep rolling the part for more than a few seconds, the roller starts to stick to whatever you are painting, (a car hood for example) and leaves hundreds of small bubbles on the car hood that you are painting and it dries like that. The bubbles never have enough time to to pop and disappear.
roller painter
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top