Old Stinky

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Old Stinky

Post by Noah Zarq on April 16th 2013, 11:34 am

It's been quite a while but I'm back. My last project was my son's camouflage Sentra but that was done with rattle cans. This time,it's the roller method for me. The victim: my 1995 Chrysler Concord daily driver. My granddaughter calls it" Stinky Car" because it was my stepfather's lake car and smells like wet dog and bait. But they sold the lake property and he gave me the car because the transmission was going and the heater core popped, and the repair costs outweighed the value of the car. I fixed the pump in the trans and it has been ridiculously reliable since, even with the 80 mile daily slog through Atlanta traffic.
I decided to paint it because I hit a deer (we live in the country) and later a teenager with a case of HUA pulled in front of me. The car has a hideous hammertone copper paint job on the junkyard front end and driver's door, but that will soon change. I'm going with dark smoke gray to pay tribute to Lockheed, who has been very good to me over the years. Pics to come.
Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 128
Project : 1992 Nissan Sentra, 1984 Dodge Ram, 1995 Chrysler Concorde
Registration date : 2010-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Old Stinky

Post by Noah Zarq on April 17th 2013, 12:45 pm

Here she is right after I took a hammer and dolly to the fender and door after the deer strike. I just slopped on some 99 cent spray paint that just happened to match pretty well. The hubcap went AWOL shortly after this pic.

Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah Zarq on April 17th 2013, 12:55 pm

The interior is practically new-looking, but smells like wet dog and bait. I have tried to fix it but it looks like the carpet needs to come out and get shampooed. Soon, before summer gets here!

The other side looked decent, not great.
Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah Zarq on April 17th 2013, 1:16 pm

But a high school kid paying more attention to her own little world than driving pulled out in front of me. She said she couldnít see me because her windows were fogged up. So after the insurance company came and looked at it, he gave me a check with the option of buying the car back for $200. I jumped on the deal because there was no frame damage, just cosmetic damage and the radiator and headlights were busted. Here is the hideous replacement front end, painted with either hammered copper paint, or the worst case of orange peel in modern times. Either way, it was pure ugly.
So I decided that it needed help, ASAP. I settled on light machine gray for a number of reasons, and I like it! I started with the rear bumper, only because the front end is going to take a ton of TNT to get back down to bare metal. I should have started with the roof though; it has Chryslerís patented Self Removing Paint System from the 90s. To get to bare metal just go through the car wash.

Thatís all for now. I sprayed the gray you see here; thatís the beauty of Rustoleum, it also comes in compatible spray cans for hard to reach places where I canít roll as easily. My next day off I plan to scrub the carpet and if there is time left, paint the rims. I took the hubcaps off since it looked worse with only 3 of them.
Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on April 17th 2013, 6:03 pm

LOL.

Don't make it too nice, or FIL might want it back when you're done...

Some color accents will reall set off that gray.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah Zarq on April 17th 2013, 6:31 pm

Tommy Hillbilly wrote:LOL.

Don't make it too nice, or FIL might want it back when you're done...

Some color accents will reall set off that gray.
I agree. I think some red pinstripes will make it pop without being too gawdy. And he can't have it back if I hide it! Very Happy
Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah Zarq on April 27th 2013, 11:25 am

Not too much progress. I tried t osand down the UBP (ugly brownish paint) from the front end. It just ignored some 220 on a DA sander, so even though I am loathe to do so, chemical stripper is in the works. Since my "garage" is the great outdoors, the weather has to get better before any real effort is put into it. But slow and steady wins the race!
Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah Zarq on April 28th 2013, 6:43 am

I wanted to "play" with the car and caught a break in the weather, so I busted out the wet sandpaper. I had some Rusto spary left over from the rims and bumper, and just really wanted to use it up. So I did the trunk and the best door.

Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on May 1st 2013, 11:30 pm

Try 180 on the hood , that should knock it quickly, stripper can be a big mess!!! thumbs up
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

stripper

Post by Noah Zarq on May 2nd 2013, 7:18 am

cac1967 wrote:Try 180 on the hood , that should knock it quickly, stripper can be a big mess!!! thumbs up
Oh believe me, I know it! That's how this big baby got taken back down to metal so it could be rebuilt! They don't call it "aircraft stripper" for nothin'
Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah Zarq on May 19th 2013, 10:07 am

Well, the weather and work schedules gave me time to play for a bit. I used some aircraft stripper (hey, if it works on a C-45 it should work on a car, right?) and viola! Bare metal. It helped get rid of that UBP and down to bare metal.

Uh oh! My replacement front end was covered in body filler. Fortunately, the aircraft stripper I use eats that stuff up like marshmallow peeps! It hid mostly dents, but one of them was a deep gouge that had begun to rust. Too late to buy another front end, so I just did a little hammer and dolly dance and slapped on some regular ol' Bondo. No pictures of that; it's pretty straight forward stuff.

This primer rolls on smoothly. I'm pretty pleased with it, though it is a bit thin when it comes to filling. I mixed it 70-30 with mineral spirits and it rolled on like butter. I considered it practice. I am still not too sure on the gray paint, however. I'm thinking red or orange.
Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah Zarq on July 6th 2013, 10:32 am

I got rid of the ugly paint finally, but what I found underneath was not very good. I took some 60 grit and dug through about a pound of Bondo. The other fender was similar. I didn't have time to take pics of the other fender before it started raining, but you get the idea. The door has a warp in it and it "oil cans" when I shut it hard. I can fix that.

Work and rain have both delayed my progress, but it's still underway. My next day off I plan to smooth out the fenders and door, and get some primer on there. Oh, and fix the starter.
Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on July 6th 2013, 3:17 pm

Is that driver side front rim bent?
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah Zarq on July 7th 2013, 6:06 am

Good eye! Yes, it is. I will have to eventually get another one and relegate this one to use as a full time spare. But it'll need new tires in a few months, so it's on the back burner till then. The bent rim is what killed the wheel cover, so I removed the other three.
Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah Zarq on August 10th 2013, 2:41 pm

I wish I had pics of the process, but it was impossible unless I had a third arm. I fixed the "oil can" effect in the door metal with nothing more than a torch and bag of ice. I had already ground all the paint down to bare metal. I took a torch with mapp gas and heated the door panel in an area about a foot larger than where it oil canned. Then I turned it up a notch and concentrated on the deepest part. It never got red, but it did discolor a bit. Then I jammed the ice right into the deepest part. Repeat. Suddenly, it popped out and no more oil can!

Now to slap on some bondo if the rain holds off.
Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on August 11th 2013, 2:16 pm

Awesome use of technology!
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah Zarq on August 20th 2013, 11:24 am

This Spring and summer have been a total bust! it has rained nearly every day since April, and no I'm not exaggerating. From May 1st to July 31st we surpassed the total annual rainfall of 2011 and 2012 combined! That might not matter so much if I had a garage, but I don't. So anything I do has to be done outside amongst the raindrops and mosquitos.

Anyway, enough whining. I got one body panel straight enough (I thought) for some paint. At this stage you'd think I would have had an idea what color I was going to use, but no, I had no clue. The top contenders were orange, red, blue, gray, and white. Lacking Photoshopping skills, I figured the best way to do this would be to paint a panel and see how it looked. More work I know, but hey, it would be fun!

Let's see...Rustoleum safety orange isn't sold in my state for whatever reason, so I'd have to order it. The paint gal at the local Home Despot (who should be a professional model, seriously) said she could special order it, and it might actually arrive. But it'd cost more than the other colors. Orange is out.

at this point my son Josh pointed out that I had only ever owned cars that were red, blue, green, or gold. He was right, except for the one black one I had and the two white ones, and a silver truck I owned for a week. So I thought maybe I'd try Rustoleum safety red, because I still had a third of a can in the shed. Granted, this can was six years old now, but it might still be good. If not, I could always sand it back off. That's the beauty of this process!

Long story short, I'm sticking with the red. My stepfather gave me free reign over his air compressor (but not his garage!) and I decided I might try spraying instead of rolling for Old Stinky. I'm still not sure which method I'll use on the whole car, rolling or spraying, because spraying is a big hassle whereas rolling isn't. My neighbors are very forgiving either way, and I live in the country, so a few errant paint fumes aren't going to bother anybody no matter which method I use.

Behold, a crude camera phone pic of the right front fender. I chose this one because (I thought) it was the straightest panel, and already had three coats of primer on it. i wet sanded with 400, rinsed, let it dry, and shot two coats on it. It's definitely a 10 footer, and the dent highlights my poor bodywork skills. But then again, it's my daily driver and will be parked in front of a fire station while I'm at work, so it'll do. Besides, my boss told me it looks bad (I work in the wealthy section of the county) and I should consider something that at least doesn't draw complaints. You'd be surprised at what rich folk complain about!

Behold!

Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah Zarq on August 23rd 2013, 1:27 pm

This morning was a rare sunny one, so I spent it wet sanding and priming. This car either went through a hail storm every week since new, or somebody gave a toddler a hammer and an espresso. Sanding revealed many more places that need a touch of filler and more primer, especially the left side. But the right front door looked ready enough, so I spent 12 seconds taping and finished off the rest of the 7 year old paint. It's only one coat, but it covered. My plans are to spray on a thin red base, then roll the car with about 10 coats and do the normal sand-n-roll shuffle.
Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah Zarq on August 23rd 2013, 1:47 pm

Here is a shot of today's effort. Not as good as I'd like it to be, but this is just one coat of many. I showed it to my mother; she did not like the red! Oh well, it's mine, and I do. I think she will get used to it.
Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on August 24th 2013, 12:55 am

Noah Zarq wrote:This car either went through a hail storm every week since new, or somebody gave a toddler a hammer and an espresso.
LMAO!

Better be careful, that looks a lot like "arrest me" red...
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah Zarq on August 24th 2013, 6:44 pm

It's all right, this car is incapable of speeding.
Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on August 25th 2013, 4:47 am

If you can achieve near-county vehicle perfection, then those whiners will have to shut up. †You could put your department's crest on the front doors, and harken back to the era when FD officials, who weren't on the trucks, drove cars.

Safety is Job 1 or whatever...

Edit: Upon googling, it appears that gamers have stolen a Ford Slogan!
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah Zarq on August 25th 2013, 7:26 pm

They would rather practice ripping the roof off to pull out a dummy.
Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah Zarq on August 28th 2013, 7:22 pm

I'll try to get some pics tomorrow but I'm tired right now! I painted my kitchen with a roller, and then that got me motivated to work on the car.

I wetsanded the doors, hood, and the left fender. I ran out of canned primer so I thinned some more Rustoleum white primer and rolled on three coats. The left fender and driver's door still have some flaws but they're getting better. My next day off isn't till Monday so I'll try to wetsand as much as possible and maybe even spray a couple coats of red. The right rear door is gonna need a lot more work though.
Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Prospector on August 29th 2013, 9:17 am

I have got to get some aircraft stripper... that's twice I've seen it used here...and funny thing is...I've used it in aviation before..

big dummy me...

That hammered bronze doesn't really look good on something that big, but bronze is one of my favorite seventies color...but..I was hammered a lot back in the seventies...not the paint. drunkdriveelephantdrunkfat boyomg
Prospector
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2013-07-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next