Hi from Orange, CA :)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hi from Orange, CA :)

Post by Pacermike on May 15th 2013, 3:08 pm

Hi everyone,

I first heard about rolling a bunch of years ago from the rickwrench Corvair and my mind was blown, but eventually I forgot all about it. Now, I just paid $2,500 to have my car painted and for the money I was really disappointed. The shop didn't follow any of the specifics we agreed on (filled holes with Bondo instead of weld, got the color wrong, and just did generally sloppy work all over) but the car looks ok for the most part as long as you don't look too close.

But then my dad was painting some window trim on his house with a foam roller and said "Not bad! I've seen cars from the factory with worse looking finish than this." and suddenly I remembered the Rustoleum Corvair. I did some searching and eventually came across this forum. Now I'm kicking myself for throwing all that money away. I probably won't be stripping down my car any time soon but I do have extra body panels to test on. At some point I'd like to clean up some of the sloppy bodywork the shop did and repaint it closer to the correct color. I picked up some Rusto Canvas White and it's a much closer match to my car's original paint than what the shop put on.

The experimentation's been fun so far and the best part is because it's just Rustoleum and Mineral Spirits being rolled and not sprayed my PITA neighbor can't complain about it! Oh, that's the other thing. No overspray! The shop that did my car did such a lazy job masking it'll take me months to clean up their mess. All my wiring, splash panels, tires, glass, even interior... it's everywhere. My engine and engine compartment are covered with it too and will probably have to be refinished. I think of everything that's the part I'm most upset about since I'd already refinished it when I did my engine swap a few years ago. And it was a huge job the first time. Evil or Very Mad

Anyway, I hope to be able to share some pictures at some point of the stuff I'm playing around with.

Pacermike
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2013-05-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi from Orange, CA :)

Post by cac1967 on May 15th 2013, 11:31 pm

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here!!!!! thumbs up
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on May 29th 2013, 9:46 pm

Welcome.....check out some of the finished projects, pics don't do them justice!
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1275
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurymarc on May 31st 2013, 1:02 am

Welcome! Lots of rolled white cars here! Go for it!
Mercurymarc
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 62
Project : 1963 Mercury Comet
Registration date : 2009-06-26

View user profile http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/comet0/White_Comet/Home_Page.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top