1976 Jeep Cherokee

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1976 Jeep Cherokee

Post by ghcoe on May 29th 2013, 7:59 pm

Needed to do my roof on my Cherokee since rust out numbered the paint. I first applied POR-15.

Then I had to apply POR-15 primer.

[/url]

Then some paint. This is three coats of paint

[/url]

ghcoe
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-06-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1976 Jeep Cherokee

Post by Noah Zarq on May 29th 2013, 8:24 pm

Wow! That's a lot of real estate to cover with a brush!
Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 128
Project : 1992 Nissan Sentra, 1984 Dodge Ram, 1995 Chrysler Concorde
Registration date : 2010-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ghcoe on May 29th 2013, 8:31 pm

I only used a brush to apply the POR-15. I used a 3" roller for the primer and paint.
ghcoe
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pacermike on May 30th 2013, 3:38 am

Wow! Looks like it turned out awesome! How long did it take? How did the POR-15 smooth out, did it self-level well? What kind of prep did you have to do before applying the POR-15?
Pacermike
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2013-05-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on May 31st 2013, 11:15 am

Is that an ax and firewood in the Jeep?
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ghcoe on May 31st 2013, 1:53 pm

Pacermike wrote:Wow! Looks like it turned out awesome! How long did it take? How did the POR-15 smooth out, did it self-level well? What kind of prep did you have to do before applying the POR-15?

Thanks. Still not done. The picture is three coats of paint. I rolled the paint on mixed at 50/50. I am using a 3" roller and a 1" foam brush. I am looking at doing two more coats then a sanding with 500 then after that I am not sure. The paint is going on better than I was anticipating. I was planning on doing 10 coats with sanding at the 5th and 8th coats.

It takes me about 20 minutes for each coat. I have done some sanding with the POR-15 and the POR-15 primer. I have done some touch up with the paint, but nothing major. I might be into it about 3 hours so far.

POR-15 goes on like water and smooths out real well. It dries hard and is a pain to sand. Usually I apply a paint or primer just before it goes full cure so I do not have to sand. This time it cured before I had a chance so I had to apply the POR-15 tie coat primer. I was afraid that I would not be able to sand it all well enough for the paint to stick to it. Paint will not stick to full cured POR-15. It is hard and smooth like glass.

No prep work before I applied the POR-15. Just paint it over rust and your good.
ghcoe
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ghcoe on May 31st 2013, 1:54 pm

Tommy Hillbilly wrote:Is that an ax and firewood in the Jeep?

Yes the axe is in the jeep. No, the wood is outside the jeep. That is a reflection in the window....
ghcoe
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on June 1st 2013, 10:29 pm

Paint looks good. That is a cool Cherokee, too. The roof will look 100% better, no matter what. Most people don't get to see the roof on that, not up close. It looks like a top-of-the-line specimen, with the C-piller badge, and what looks to be the fancy AMC sport steering wheel. 360?

I think they stopped making those with removable tops sometime in the mid-to-late '70s. I'm pretty sure a few of those had soft tops.
When I was a kid, one of my neighbors had an early-to-mid '70s Cherokee, but it was the pickup, with a six cylinder. I think it might've been old enough to have the small '60s grill.
The stripes/graphics are a dead giveaway to me, as to the age of yours, because I remember when they were new...
How does that latch work on the tailgate?
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ghcoe on June 2nd 2013, 12:58 am

Tommy Hillbilly wrote:It looks like a top-of-the-line specimen, with the C-piller badge, and what looks to be the fancy AMC sport steering wheel. Yes. It is a Cherokee Wide Track. Some call them a Chief although this one does not have the Chief stickers on it. It has just about every option available at the time. I even have a safari kit for it which is a extra fuel tank that sits where the spare tire would go. The spare tire is relocated to the tire rack on the back. I also have a factory brush guard, but it is not currently on.

360? Yes. 360 4 bbl, built to 1972 specs (before smog). More HP.

I think they stopped making those with removable tops sometime in the mid-to-late '70s. I'm pretty sure a few of those had soft tops.Cherokees never had removable tops or soft tops, factory anyway.

Small '60s grill.Just so happens that I put a 1963 Gladiator (pickup) grill in this one. Early Wagoneers also had the small grill.

How does that latch work on the tailgate? Simple spring loaded lever.
A couple of shots of the jeep.

Last edited by ghcoe on June 2nd 2013, 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
ghcoe
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on June 2nd 2013, 4:33 am

ghcoe wrote:Cherokees never had removable tops or soft tops, factory anyway.
I might've been thinking of IH Scouts...

Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ghcoe on June 2nd 2013, 9:28 am

Ahh, yes. Scouts would have the removable top.
ghcoe
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by wantajav on June 2nd 2013, 7:41 pm

First of all - GREAT JOB on that roof - probably saved the car

Secondly - if you want to touch up those fender flares - consider buying a PREVAL brand sprayer - looks like a glass jar attached to an aerosol top. They are like $13 bucks. Then go to an auto paint place and get 1 pint mixed up of your factory color, thin it according to directions and spray to match. I did the whole rear hatch of my minivan = Modern blue metallic pearl coat with a spray can of clear I got from autozone = PERFECT match . 100% Scary how well it turned out

Cheers

Mike

-yes you could paint a car like that but the PREVAL's don't last more than 1 panel, 3 coats then they start spitting might as well get internet paint and a Harbor freight compressor at that point
wantajav
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-09-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top