FYI do not use mineral spirits for pre paint wipe down!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

FYI do not use mineral spirits for pre paint wipe down!

Post by sactownie on June 1st 2013, 1:58 am

I am painting just the hood and roof of my black dakota, I am using interlux brightside.
I struggled with this for the last 2 weeks. I got a perfect coat the 1st coat. I cant remember if I used mineral spirits or isopropyl rubbing alcohol for that 1st coat but I used mineral spirits after that and I had really bad results, orange peel and fisheyes and I thought it was because the weather had changed from being in the 90s that 1st coat to being in the 70s the other "bad" coats.
I spent 1 1/2 hours sanding the orange peel/ fisheyes out of each 4 coats on just the hood and I finally tried the isopropyl rubbing alcohol today and had a almost perfect finish but because I was sanding all the bad stuff now I have scratches showing through the good coat so looks like im going to have to do atleast one more on the hood to erase all my mistakes. Apparently the mineral spirits leaves a oily residue that is kind of like over thinning?
I didn't see this mentioned anywhere on my numerous web searches the last week so thats why I am doing the FYI post, hopefully someone else sees this post before they repeat the mistake 4 times like I did!
sactownie
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 10
Project : 2000 Dodge Dakota R/T
Registration date : 2013-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FYI do not use mineral spirits for pre paint wipe down!

Post by Ian67 on June 1st 2013, 2:14 am

Hey, I'm not informed enough to know about an oily residue but I have been told by a number of experienced rollers here that the mineral spirits can soften paint that hasn't fully cured and using it should be avoided except when thinning the paint.

Apparently the best thing to use is Denatured Alcohol. I had to drive for over an hour to get some but I will say that it evaperates quick, and clean. From what I understand, the Denatured Alcohol is just a very high percentage, like 99% alcohol, but wth additives to prevent people from drinking it. The Isopropyl Alcohol is also a high volume of alcohol but from a different source and is also much better than Mineral spirits for between coat cleaning. I would bet that the Denatured Alcohol is even better though. Hah, maybe someone who knows for certain can chime in.

Good idea on the post though! Easy mistake to make with how fragmented the information is on the topic.

Ian
Ian67
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 104
Job/hobbies : Camaros, Computers and Movies
Project : 67 Camaro - Black on Black
Registration date : 2010-06-29

View user profile http://www.turbocamaro.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on June 1st 2013, 7:25 pm

Great info, thanks for sharing.
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1268
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top