New Member, Gonna be painting H1 Hummer

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Member, Gonna be painting H1 Hummer

Post by LawDawg79 on June 8th 2013, 2:05 am

Im a cop, and I work for a police dept that doesn't have much money so im gonna be doing this on my own dime. We are gonna be recieving 3 MP version H1 Hummers from the Army. Ive been trying to find a way to do a paint job that looks descent but not perfect and this rustoleum roll on method sounds like the perfect thing for what we need. Where we work is like Mogadishu between 2-6am on Friday and Saturday nights. These Hummers will be used mostly just on Friday and Saturday night shifts. So they don't have to look perfect. All im doing is the body black and the doors white. Then going to put some basic Vinyl POLICE decals on the doors. After that im putting some LED strobes in it. I have to do this all from my pocket otherwise they will stay camo. I honestly don't even know if im going to worry about wet sanding anything but the final coat, IF I even do that. These things are going to get beat up a bit so im not to concerned about a show car finish. Basically I just want them to look good at night and from 10 feet away during the day.

I have done a lot of reading and research on this but any suggestions anyone can think of would be appreciated.

I assume that 1 gallon of black and 1 quart of white should be sufficient to do it all???
LawDawg79
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Member, Gonna be painting H1 Hummer

Post by Pacermike on June 13th 2013, 8:01 pm

I can't wait to see pics of this project. Also, where do you work? Sounds like a war zone on the weekend! Smile
Pacermike
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2013-05-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LawDawg79 on June 15th 2013, 1:09 am

I work in Brooklyn Illinois, you can google it and find lots of stories, and there are more that never make the news

, Hoping the chief lets me do it, he was all for it, but no might have someone that will spray them.  But personally I think as rough as these are already a spray job would be pointless. Im gonna have to do a lot of prep work just for a roll on job, paint flaking and stuff all over. Gonna have to sand the heck out of some areas.
LawDawg79
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 74 Elco on June 17th 2013, 1:46 am

i'd go the extra mile and go to harbor freight and pick up a twenty dollar hvlp spray gun, and use the air from the your yard/ shop's compressors the mechanics use.  Spraying is by far easier and a hundred times faster imo.  I didn't see primer in your list, but I would definately get the rustoleum clean surface primer, which is white and use that first.  It's really good at providing strong adhesion and really tough final product that can take some abuse.  I just installed front springs and control arms that were primered and rustoleum painted, and i had to use a pry bar to wedge them in, and they did get scratched, but i was impressed with how much they took before they finally gave way and i scrathed down to the bare metal. 

maybe your mechanic's shop could empty their cars out one weekend so you could paint inside there.
74 Elco
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2009-04-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LawDawg79 on June 20th 2013, 1:57 am

well we dont have a mechanics shop or a garage to use. Were a small poor PD, we use local shops to fix our cars, that is if they don't sit for a month broken before they put em in the shop.

I have an HVLP gun, compressor, in line dryer and all.... I have done motorcycles and cars.  BUT these things are 7 feet wide and I wouldn't have much room in a home built booth in my garage. Though I still have all the stuff to build a booth again, I a. don't feel like putting the time into building a booth when I wont have much room to get around in it, especially the roof and probably the sides as well.  B. I don't feel like filling my house up with fumes. C. it will take way too much time to prep these for spray, where as I think I can get away with less prep time and still have a good result from roll on. D. these things will take ALOT of prep for spray. Im already gonna have to do a lot of sanding, especially on the doors to get ready for just the roll on job.

Not to mention the cost of spraying these would probably be at least 500 dollars.
LawDawg79
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top