1st timer

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 1st timer

Post by street_ride14 on June 23rd 2013, 7:52 am

Also consider time of day and sunlight, don't roll in direct sunlight and especially direct sunlight with extereme heat, your paint will dry very quickly and your paint coat will look uneven, roll your coats in the shade if you can.

street_ride14
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 15
Project : 1991 Honda CRX
Registration date : 2013-03-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burakol on June 23rd 2013, 9:12 am

oh no. thats going to be tough... my car barely fits in my garage due to all stuff i have inside... yeah when i rolled the paint in hood, i was outside and in direct sun... i guess i have to thin it more then if im working outside... ill see if i can fit yhe car inside... ill probably put the fenders and bumper back and paint the car with those on, instead of doing it seperately...

burakol
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2013-06-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah Zarq on June 23rd 2013, 11:25 am

street_ride14 wrote:go over it again with the roller after you lay down the coat, keep going over it as the paint dries and you'll see less and less bubbles in the paint as the roller smoothes the surface
In my experience, going over it more than once with the smoothing roller removes too much paint. Once popped most of the bubbles for me, then I gently blew on the paint with a hair dryer set to cool. Just don't get too close to the paint. The breeze pops the bubbles. 
Don't get discouraged; it looks like you are doing fine.

Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 128
Project : 1992 Nissan Sentra, 1984 Dodge Ram, 1995 Chrysler Concorde
Registration date : 2010-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burakol on June 23rd 2013, 12:16 pm

Im optimistic... I just need to make sure i get to finish this as this car is also my daily... I will probably driving this like this until I finish the old paint

burakol
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burakol on June 25th 2013, 6:45 pm

i wetsanded the first 2coats and this is what i got so far...
am i ready for the next coat? as you can see, i still have some minor orange peel , but smooth overall... do i need to take all of it out prior to re-coat or will it be covered anyway? thoughts please... thanks...
" />" />
" />

burakol
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on June 25th 2013, 7:48 pm

Definitely needs more paint...Smile

Keep on painting - and sanding - and painting...

Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on June 25th 2013, 7:48 pm

...and sanding...

Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burakol on June 25th 2013, 7:54 pm

thanks... about the ornge peel, is it imperative that all the orange peel be sanded out before recoating? yeah i only did two coats so far so more paint will be rolled...

burakol
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on June 25th 2013, 9:49 pm

The earlier you get rid of it, the better.

Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burakol on June 27th 2013, 10:52 am

]got the first 2 coats sanded... applied 3rd and 4th coat last night... woke up this mornign and this is how it looks... much better than the initial 2 coats... some rough spots here and there, but drastically better, smoother, and lesser peel...

certainly adds a :)to my face... i'd probably stick with 500grit paper to sand this... then 800/1000 after the next coat...

burakol
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burakol on June 29th 2013, 8:33 am

fifth coat... should i sand prior to 6th coat or coat before sanding?

in your honest opinion, is the orange peel that visible? when i run my hands, i really do not feel any bumps/texture...it's pretty smooth except on some spots... besides the front bumper, i'm pretty pleased so far... unless someone who is an expert on this can give me more advice...

the bumper is only on its 3rd coat and will be wetsanded later...

here are some pics...

burakol
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Samilcar on June 29th 2013, 10:50 am

The pics of everything but the bumper look very good to me, as far as orange peel. Keep in mind that just a little bit of orange peel after the final coat can sometimes be a good thing, as it tends to hide any ripples or bumps in the body underneath the paint (look closely at the factory paint job of most new cars for an example of this intended orange peel). A final paint surface with absolutely no orange peel will have a perfect mirror-like surface, which highlights even the smallest defects in the bodywork underneath it. Looking at your 2nd and 3rd pics in particular, it looks like the minimal OP in your paint will make for a very shiny and mirror-like finish after the final wetsand and buffing.

Samilcar
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 74
Project : 1998 Jaguar XJ8 - Kirker Ultra-Glo Black
Registration date : 2011-03-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burakol on June 29th 2013, 11:14 am

Thanks. Yeah i did a close inspection on our 12' odyssey and it did have some orange peel upon scrutiny... I will use our van as a reference as to what is acceptable and not... Thanks! Hopefully by this week im done...

Btw, has anyone tried rolling a clear enamel? The tractor supply here sells an oil based clear so i am considering it but can it be rolled?

burakol
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burakol on July 10th 2013, 11:46 pm

Getting ready to buff the car... Should i opt to use a palm size orbital sander or a fariable speed polisher/sander from harborfreight that many uses? After trying to buff manually by hand, i realized it is next to impossible to get the result i want... Thanks..

burakol
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burakol on July 11th 2013, 11:09 pm

Done rolling... I dud an initial final wetsand on a small area on my hood with 1500grit... Used a porter cable da polisher with yelliw pad and uc... I got some decent shine but not as glossy when it was rolled... I also noticed micro scratches... What am i doing wrong here??? Should i change to a more moderate buffing pad? Wet sand with 2000? Or use a rubbing compound before the uc?

burakol
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Samilcar on July 12th 2013, 8:33 am

I'm guessing Meguiars ultimate compound isn't quite aggressive enough to remove 1500 grit scratches. Try finding Meguiars M105 compound, it's a little more aggressive than UC. Another option would be to do a final wetsand with a finer grit. I ended up redoing the rear bumpers and rear fenders of my Geo with 3M's 3000 grit paper. It got rid of a little "fuzziness" that was left behind from the previous 2000 grit wetsanding.

Samilcar
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burakol on July 12th 2013, 10:05 am

thanks for the advice... i will do that... ill try 2000 first and buff... and see if that makes a difference... if not ill also change the compound...

burakol
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burakol on July 12th 2013, 6:52 pm

Final Wetsanded with 1200, 1500 then 2000... Buffed usimg a da polisher and a medium cut pad... Shine was pleasing but...

Scratches can ne seen under light... But not visible from a far or with sunlight.. Is this the result you guys are getting as well?

burakol
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Samilcar on July 12th 2013, 10:15 pm

I had similar scratches left after wet sanding with 2000 grit and then compounding (only visible with the light at just the right angle). These scratches might be more visible with black paint.

Samilcar
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:27 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down