91 black BMW vert

View previous topic View next topic Go down

91 black BMW vert

Post by 3bvert on June 12th 2013, 11:15 am

well by this weekend Ill be starting the body work on the car. ( just finishing mechanical stuff )
I will post pics as soon as I figure out how
Car is currently black, and will be staying black. However  few replacement panels are of different color, trunk is white, one fender is silver, front airdam is red

so starting to chase down materials I have a few quick questions.
1) having trouble finding 100% mineral spirits, only low odor that says made with mineral spirits
    ( Home depot, walmart, local hardware store)
2) most articles I have read say high density foam roller, and when I shop I find good , better, best and all of different nap length, which should I be getting
3) I was going to try using topcoat, but would have to order and it says only thin with xylene...so I guess Ill stick with the regular rustoleum
4) hopefully the body panels that are different color do not have to go back to bare metal or factory primer..what is thoughts on that ?

[img]http://[/img]  [img:f1ae]http://[/img]  [img:f1ae]http://[/img]

and then a pic of a recent barn find...not sure what will happen to it[img:f1ae]http://[/img]  and look at these monster crager ss width on rear[img:f1ae]http://[/img]
3bvert
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 12
Project : 1991 bmw black vert
Registration date : 2013-05-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 91 black BMW vert

Post by cac1967 on June 12th 2013, 6:34 pm

On the replacement panel's I would sand with 220 grit then prime each panel, sand the primer with 320 grit wet then roll away, as for the roller's use the best high density foam roller's you can, you wont regret it!!thumbs up
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on June 13th 2013, 8:47 pm

Shame those Cragers were allowed to rust...
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3bvert on June 15th 2013, 11:12 am

well its supposed to rain most of next week, humidity might be too high to paint, but I can still keep doing body work.

question...when removing the old fender at one point where it attaches to body it has a bead of a blackish tar, that looked like a weld, and held the paint for years.

anyone know what that stuff is, and where to get a small tube of it..I doubt just silly-cone would work, and it does not hold paint anyway

and yes its a shame the cragers were allowed to rust, I guess they could be used for powder coating or rechrome....
3bvert
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on June 15th 2013, 11:19 am

question...when removing the old fender at one point where it attaches to body it has a bead of a blackish tar, that looked like a weld, and held the paint for years.

anyone know what that stuff is, and where to get a small tube of it..I doubt just silly-cone would work, and it does not hold paint anyway
It might be seam-sealer.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3bvert on July 1st 2013, 4:26 am

picked up all my paint and stuff, today, but wont start till after july 4th, leaving to go camping Tuesday
however, supplies,paint (rusto, primer, sand paper, misc) ran $95
so much for the old $50 paint job idea
will keep you posted

oh and obviously, those pics in first thread are after I tore it mostly apart
3bvert
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burakol on July 1st 2013, 6:58 am

yup.. no more $50 pant job... very least maybe would cost around 60-70 bux... walmart prices are the cheapest i found on rustoleum paints but had limited colors to choose and bondo... if you have a harbor freight in your area, they sell the cheapest/good quality wet/dry paper... an assorted grit of 220/500/1000/1200 (2ea.) runs less than 3 bux... same thing with tack cloth and same for a box of 10 tack cloth at $0.99... tractor supply shop sells the cheapest odorless mineral spirit at 11 bux a gallon...

ultimate compound at walmart for $8.47

i had to order my paint from amazon since they are the only one selling the quart size charcoal gray rustoleum... i also used some enamel catalyst from tractor supply (majic brand)...

paint roller at home depot...

good luck with your poject! i need maybe 3-4 coats on mine and i'll call it done before i sand/buff...
burakol
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2013-06-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on July 2nd 2013, 12:24 am

Still darn cheap!Cool
I don't remember what my grand total was, but I'm pretty sure I've spent more at Maaco before...
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3bvert on July 3rd 2013, 12:02 pm

well, I think I am now up near 200 for all the stuff, bondo, glazing putty, primers, sand paper, tape,
but I also got 4 cans of rattle can for shooting jambs and hard to hit areas, 2 cans of undercoating spray .2 gallons of mineral spirits, one for mixing, one for cleaning. I picked up 3 qts of paint, if I don't need the third Ill take it back

the only thing I need to get now is the phenol

well headed out to go camping, will start next week, will keep you posted
3bvert
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ROCK&ROLL on July 3rd 2013, 7:02 pm

high density foam rollers are all the same size nap unless you get the 9 inch size.

rustoleum topside is thinned with mineral spirits.

Last edited by ROCK&ROLL on July 3rd 2013, 7:05 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : missing word)
ROCK&ROLL
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2012-10-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Samilcar on July 5th 2013, 10:20 am

3bvert wrote:
1) having trouble finding 100% mineral spirits, only low odor that says made with mineral spirits

Mineral spirits that's labeled "low odor" is just regular 100% mineral spirits that's been through an extra refining process to remove the small amount of odor causing solvents (xylene, etc) that remain in the mineral spirits after a normal refining. Both this "low odor" version, and the regular version of mineral spirits work identically for rolling purposes.

There is a newer version of something called "Green" mineral spirits. Stay away from this, as it's a mixture of mineral spirits, water, and detergents (the detergents are to keep the water mixed with the mineral spirits). This green version is milky white in color, not clear like 100% mineral spirits should be.
Samilcar
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 76
Project : 1998 Jaguar XJ8 - Kirker Ultra-Glo Black
Registration date : 2011-03-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah Zarq on July 6th 2013, 10:34 am

Samilcar wrote:
3bvert wrote:

There is a newer version of something called "Green" mineral spirits. Stay away from this, as it's a mixture of mineral spirits, water, and detergents (the detergents are to keep the water mixed with the mineral spirits). This green version is milky white in color, not clear like 100% mineral spirits should be.
Yep, I ran into this stuff and used it to clean my brushes and rollers. It WILL ruin your roller job!
Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 128
Project : 1992 Nissan Sentra, 1984 Dodge Ram, 1995 Chrysler Concorde
Registration date : 2010-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3bvert on July 10th 2013, 2:50 am

so progress so far.
sanded, primed and painted replacement fender and trunk lid. wet sanded entire car with 220 wet/dry, except primered panels.
did a small amount of bondo work on some deep door dings, and spot putty on the small ones, sanded them down flush wth 220, rolled primer on to those spots
Wednesday Ill hit the entire car with 320 and clean and wipe down for paint
Thursday hit it with ms again, then a tack cloth then get the first two coats on

doing the primer was good thing, as it helped me see how it goes. First coat of primer ( 50/50) I thought, man this is not gonna work, but I knew to be patient
second coat of primer I saw things do eventually cover
however, I think when I did the second coat it was too hot in the day, as it dried real fast and in some spots ended up a little rough, like major orange peel
but like I said, ill hit it all tomorrow with 320
when I start Thursday with the black paint, ill hit it early in the morn, and then the second coast, late afternoon , early evening

I will get pics up tomorrow if I can
3bvert
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3bvert on July 11th 2013, 11:50 am

about to give up on primer....I will put two coats down, waiting in between, sand to get smooth, and to get smooth, using 320 I get back to bare metal in some spots. Got to get this done, two days is enough on just primer on a few spots.
today ill shoot some primer...rattle can rustoleum, on the bare metal, give it time and try to get some coats of black on today, or at least one tonight depending on temperatures
3bvert
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on July 11th 2013, 10:55 pm

Happy rolling!burnout 
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 3bvert on July 24th 2013, 1:40 pm

well the project is not gonna finish. I had the car for sale as is, as I was prepping for paint. the day I was gonna start rolling the black on, got a call, and ended up selling the car, disassembled and un painted. He made me an offer I could not refuse. the plan was to paint and sell anyway. was able to take a lot of my stuff back, so its all good
3bvert
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down