How many years will an oil base roller paint job last for?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How many years will an oil base roller paint job last for?

Post by roller painter on July 17th 2013, 10:10 am

I had done a long search on this subject, but i could not find an answer. So here are my questions:                                                                                                 How many years will a synthetic oil base alkyd enamel roller paint job last for on a car? These paints include Rustoleum, tremclad, Valspar enamel, Valspar tractor & implement enamel paint, and all of the marine Synthetic Enamel paints like Topside, (if i left any paints out of this list then please correct me) that are being used to paint cars, trucks and boats with the roller paint job. I have not heard of anyone using acrylic enamel or lacquer based paints for the roller paint job, but someone please correct me if i am wrong.                                                                                 I know that some United States auto manufacturers used the "old school" synthetic oil base alkyd enamel paints up until about 1968 or 1969 on their cars and trucks and then they switched to the newer acrylic enamel auto paint after that. i believe that the last Import cars to be painted with the "old school" synthetic oil base alkyd enamel from the factory, was the 1984 Isuzu Brand of cars and trucks, and i have heard that some automobile manufacturers factories in different countries may have still been using this paint even later than that, do any of you know if this is true?
Some cars in the united states were still being painted with acrylic lacquer at the factory, up until about 1987.                                                                             I will put these questions into three examples to get the best type of answers.         Question number 1: how long will a synthetic oil based alkyd enamel paint job on a car last for if:                                                                                             (Example number 1): This car would be called a "garage ornament" (a car that spends all of its time in a climate controlled garage, [like a heated garage in the winter]). And the paint job on this car is well maintained (with only gentle hand washing's when needed and it is only gently polished and waxed when needed) with a car cover always on top of it. (I know that many people do not have a car like this, but it will give all of us an idea of how long the paint job will last).                                        Example number 2: A car that is driven regularly and parked outside all of the time, and the paint is regularly maintained (washed and waxed when needed). this type of car is also parked outside in the strong summer sun, and driven in the winter when salt is put on the roads. About how many years will this synthetic oil base alkyd enamel roller paint job last for?                                                                   Example number 3: This type of car is a daily driver and the paint has never been waxed since being painted, the car would have been taken through a drive through car wash several times as the years went by since being painted, it is kept out side all year long in the strong summer sun and always driven in the winter. About how many years would this synthetic oil base alkyd enamel roller paint job last for?              Does anyone have any pictures or stories of any cars, trucks or boats that were painted a long time ago with "old school" synthetic oil base alkyd enamel paint? what is the condition of the paint now? What has been the longest lasting "old school" synthetic oil base alkyd enamel job on a car, truck or boat?

Last edited by roller painter on July 18th 2013, 1:12 am; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : i recieved more information)
roller painter
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2013-03-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How many years will an oil base roller paint job last for?

Post by Samilcar on July 19th 2013, 9:44 am

The oldest "roll on" alkyd enamel paint job that I've seen pictures of is an 8 year old orange paint job on an old Volkswagen Beetle. From the pictures, it looked as good as right after it was first painted. This car was treated like your example #2, a daily driver that is parked outside, but regularly cleaned and waxed. Your example #3 (outside daily driver with no waxing) is where I think an alkyd enamel paint job would really go south fast, maybe lasting less than 5 years. I'd like to hear from others who have had actual experience with one of these "no wax" situations.
Samilcar
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 76
Project : 1998 Jaguar XJ8 - Kirker Ultra-Glo Black
Registration date : 2011-03-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Camaro Guy on September 12th 2013, 1:45 pm

I also has a question! If sitting out dulls the paint, would not a quick once over with compound bring back the shine?

People like to tell you Rustoleum fades like crazy, but not sure if this is true. I used to refurbish vending machines and I always used Rustoleum. Some of the boxes I did 10 years ago are still sitting on street corners and appear to be holding up well. Of course they are dusty, but I suspect if wanted to, could bring back the luster, but that's just a hunch.
Camaro Guy
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2013-09-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top