Prospector Intro

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Prospector Intro

Post by Prospector on August 1st 2013, 1:57 pm

Prospector, aka David, or Mr. O, as my former students used to call me, or Bucky, my Army Crewmember Call sign.  How I got that last one, I don't know.   But, it was the Air Cavalry, and we had some weird Call Signs.  

I'm in northern Indiana right now.  We moved back to Indiana to my wife's childhood home to care for her then 87 year old mother who has senile dementia.  I've been here three summers now.  I'm a retired teacher (retired early), and I'm also a seven year army veteran, and proud Cold War Veteran.  If you think the military didn't suffer military casualties during the Cold War, google it.  You'll be surprised.  Air Cav, Air Assault, Aero Scout, Kiowa helicopter Phased Maintenance NCOIC, and a former Chinook helicopter crewchief.  Ahh the eighties.

I taught for 16 years in and around the Dayton, Ohio, metro area at several different schools.  English and Creative Writing, and Music at the elementary level.  

I've been reading the Roller Method of painting a vehicle for over four years now, beginning in Moparts (which suddenly appears to be dead..it's quiet there now...dead quiet), and wanted a more streamlined documentation of the Roller Method and found this.  I've read several threads, here, Moparts, IhateMudders.com (I think that's what it's called) and I like what I see.  I spent a summer working with a friend of mine in Philadelphia reconditioning Leer Jet interiors, and even had the opportunity to spot paint a few.  Tip and Roll there, too.

I have a 1984 Dodge Ram D250 Royal SE Prospector, two toned in a one off color combination only offered in the Prospector package in 1984, and the old boy's Sand Beige tone has been repainted International Harvester White, which has a bit too much yellow in it for my taste.  It has some surface rust that I have to address, and I took a bathroom plunger to some of the smaller dings and pulled them out.  I have one big dent in the truck bed on the driver's side where someone slid into me when they couldn't stop on an icy road, but it's fixable.

I plan on using the Ace Rust Stop Paint since it's tintable, and for the metallic effect, I'll add some of the Ace Rust Stop aluminum paint.  I also think I'm going to add the Hardener from Tractor Supply, just because.  I'm still undecided on the colors, I may revisit the original color combination, I may not.  I'm also using the Monstaliner for the truck bed, and will be using Chassis Saver, which appears to be a better Por 15 for rust prevention over some rusty spots.  Oh, and I've horn swaggled an old friend into helping, he's very intrigued with this idea called Roller Painting Cars and Trucks. Razz 

And that's all I have to say about that.  It's a good truck, a .360 ci. engine, Hooker headers, Edlebrock 4 barrel, straight pipes, automatic, a/c, and it used to have cruise control.  Gotta find the cruise module and get that working again, and it's made the trip back to Lawrenceville, Georgia, several times.  As well as returning to Dayton, Ohio, to visit the kids and grandkids.  Mechanically, it's a sound truck.  It's just a little...ugly on the outside.  Very Happy 

So...when I start, which should be sometime at the end of this month, I'll start a Project thread and we'll see how this turns out.
Prospector
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2013-07-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Prospector Intro

Post by 63Falconconvert on August 8th 2013, 1:32 pm

Welcome....looking forward to seeing your progress
63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster