thinner/hardener/reducer?? LOST

View previous topic View next topic Go down

thinner/hardener/reducer?? LOST

Post by kjg26 on August 12th 2013, 9:26 pm

I picked up some Rustoleum Stops Rust Flat black from home depot today.  Also picked up the high density foam rollers and brushs, tach cloth, trays and mineral spirits.  After returning home I found this site and have essentially opened another can of worms.  I am happy with my decidion of colors, although may go back and get the gloss black.  Thats another story though.

After browsing around on here i've come across some terms that have me confused.

Are thinner and reducer the same?  Is mineral spirits an accepted reduver/thinner? Per the can mineral spirits or acetone. Is this correct?
Do i need or should i use a hardener>  Does rustolem sell a hardener?  If not, will valspar hardener work with rustoleum stops rust pain?
Is rustoleum stops rust an acrylic/enamel paint?

What mix should i use?  I've seen people using 50/50, 70/30, 60/40, paint/mineral spirits.

When i'm wiping down the body before paint, what shOuld i use?

Thanks

Keith
kjg26
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-08-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: thinner/hardener/reducer?? LOST

Post by Samilcar on August 13th 2013, 9:59 am

"thinner" and "reducer" essentially mean the same thing. They're both solvents that are added to the paint to thin it down. "thinner" is generally used for mineral spirits, "reducer" is used for mixes of solvents that evaporate faster than mineral spirits (acetone, xylene, etc.)

You don't "need" to use a hardener. Valspar hardener works in Rustoleum Stops Rust, or any other alkyd enamel paint. Rustoleum is old school (1930's technology) oil based enamel paint, acrylic enamel paints are slightly less old school (1950's technology).

Isopropyl alcohol or denatured alcohol are good solvents for wiping down before paint. Acetone can be used, but is a bit more aggressive, and might soften plastic trim pieces a bit if you get it on them.
Samilcar
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 76
Project : 1998 Jaguar XJ8 - Kirker Ultra-Glo Black
Registration date : 2011-03-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kjg26 on August 13th 2013, 1:07 pm

so I would use paint, mineral spirits as the thinner, and hardener? .any suggestions on ratio?
kjg26
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Samilcar on August 13th 2013, 9:33 pm

The Valspar hardener recommends one part hardener to eight parts paint. So, if you were thinning the paint 50/50 with mineral spirits, it would be eight parts paint, one part hardener, and eight parts mineral spirits.
Samilcar
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 76
Project : 1998 Jaguar XJ8 - Kirker Ultra-Glo Black
Registration date : 2011-03-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kjg26 on August 13th 2013, 10:46 pm

ok wonderful. thanks for the help
kjg26
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rebar on July 13th 2017, 3:05 pm

Samilcar wrote:The Valspar hardener recommends one part hardener to eight parts paint. So, if you were thinning the paint 50/50 with mineral spirits, it would be eight parts paint, one part hardener, and eight parts mineral spirits.

Pretty sure this is wrong.. 8 oz hardener to 1 gallon enamel or 16:1 or 16 parts of paint to 1 part hardener..
rebar
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 17
Job/hobbies : working
Project : Cummins E350
Registration date : 2017-06-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content