A Different Kind of Project: Color Matching w/ Pantone Code

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A Different Kind of Project: Color Matching w/ Pantone Code

Post by Prospector on August 14th 2013, 10:52 pm

Custom Color Matching Ace Hardware's Rust Stop Paint:  Pantone Colors

If you're like me and want to paint your vehicle an old school color from back in the day, but can't find a color chip to take in, and even if you did, it's old, faded, and probably pretty much off color.  But you really don't want to gamble on an eyeball attempt from color cards in the paint and hardware stores, I researched and found a way where you can get the paint color you want with a little work.   It's not 100%, but it's in the high nineties, and let's face it..a lot of cars (especially Mopars) from back in the day were painted at the dealer, and there were always variations in the dealer's paint mixing formula.  So, high nineties is better than a swing and a miss.

So..how would you do it?  

I read on Moparts a while back where someone wanted to match Autumn Bronze Metallic for their project.  The moderators said it couldn't be done since that was a color you couldn't mix, and it was a metallic you couldn't roll.

That made me start researching, and putting things together. It came across as a challenge.  Autumn Bronze is my favorite color, so why the heck not in the Ace Rust Stop Paint?  

http://paintref.com/paintref/index.shtml

I found the Auto/Truck/Fleet Paint Cross Reference Page on the internet that helped me get the exact Autumn Bronze from the year AND the model I knew.  I owned a 1973 Autumn Bronze Roadrunner back in 1975-1977, and it's always been my favorite car and favorite color.  Yeah, I know I already said it, but it is my favorite color.  Only 8,000 Satellites/Roadrunners were delivered Autumn Bronze, which isn't rare, but it's not the most common color, either.  

I pulled up the color for the  Plymouth 1973 Satellite, and then went to the Larger Chip Option which gave me this on the computer screen:

You actually get every other automobile manufacturers version of Autumn Bronze as well as Mopar, and you can see the variations between the manufacturers.  But this was the one I wanted.

I then hit PRT SCRN (Print Screen) on my computer, and opened up a graphics program.  GIMP, PHOTOSHOP, or even Microsoft Paint will do.

I have GIMP.  So after the program opened, I clicked on Edit/Paste As New Image, and it put the color chips from the Resource Library into the paint program.  

Once it is in the program, I then take the color dropper and place it over the color chip I've pasted into the paint program and I look for the RGB value of the color.

RGB, RED, GREEN, BLUE, are the primary colors found in all paints.  For Mopar's Autumn Bronze, I get R72 G39 B27.

Write those numbers down on a notepad.

You then go to the Free RGB Pantone Converter found here:

http://www.netfront.fr/Services/

Pantone is a proprietary blend of colors that almost ALL paint manufacturers use on their color chips and color mixing machines.  

Enter in the RGB values like so:

Then click on Submit Query and you'll get this return on your screen:

The very first return with the zero is the exact match of the paint chip you've uploaded from the Auto Paint Cross Reference Resource.

The Pantone code for Autumn Bronze is 4975.   Keep that, write it down.

If you'll notice, the HTML Code on the Pantone conversion matches the HTML notation EXACTLY in the original GIMP Paint Eye Dropper selction:

You cannot get a paint matched if you go in to the store with an HTML Notation Code, they'll laugh you out of the store.  But, if you go into ACE with the Pantone Code you can get it custom mixed.

I e-mailed ACE's Customer Service and asked if you could take in the Pantone Code and get a custom color mixed in the Ace Rust Stop Paint.

Here is their response:

Ace Care Center <CareCenter@acehardware.com>

1:21 PM (37 minutes ago)

to me (I'm  David!)

"Hello David,

Thank you for contacting the Ace Hardware Care Center.

I spoke with our Color Match Department in regards to your question on matching a Pantone Color. If you bring in the color code to your local Ace Hardware store the paint department can do their best to match the color you would like but there is no guarantee that it will be an exact match. Pantone Colors are somewhat difficult to match exactly but we will do our best.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding this, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Paula F. | Ace Care Center
Phone: (888) 827 - 4223
Helpful is our Business - Caring is our Commitment"

I had earlier e-mailed them about bringing in the auto paint codes for PPG/Dupont found in the Auto Reference Library, and they said emphatically NO!.

Getting into the ballpark this way is pretty easy.

But, I think we can do better.  

Continuing the work on the computer, I took the Pantone Code and went to this link at Bay Press Services...a paint chip supplier.

http://www.baypressservices.com/acatalog/Solid-Color-Chips---Replacement-pages.html

Enter in your Pantone Code, and pay $7.50. for a single Chip Replacement Page with your color chip.  

Seven and a half bucks for the chip that Ace Hardware needs to replicate your color without question.  

But, we're not finished.   If the color you've chosen is a metallic, you can order the gloss paint sans the mica particles, and then buy a small can of ACE Rust Stop Aluminum/Rustoleum Aluminum to your mix like this guy did on Moparts.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=3493382&page=0&fpart=61&vc=1

DSLStuff documented painting a 1994 Dodge Ram a Hunter Metallic Green with a ROLLER simply by adding the Aluminum paint to his mixture.

So, that's what I've come up with.  

The Pantone Code is the cornerstone for getting your paint color matched to within 99%, and to do it cheaply.

When you get the paint, you can add hardener if you choose.  I don't like the isos, cancer causers, so I let the paint cure with time.  

And that's my Different Kind of Project!    I think it's a pretty solid approach to custom color matching.

Last edited by Prospector on August 15th 2013, 10:35 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : proofreading error ..corrected)

Prospector
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2013-07-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A Different Kind of Project: Color Matching w/ Pantone Code

Post by Noah Zarq on August 14th 2013, 11:23 pm

Mind. Blown.

Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 128
Project : 1992 Nissan Sentra, 1984 Dodge Ram, 1995 Chrysler Concorde
Registration date : 2010-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Prospector on August 15th 2013, 6:19 am

And when I explained it to my wife....she rolled her eyes, and yawned. Laughing 

Prospector
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by VeggieBullet on August 15th 2013, 10:04 am

Shocked ..speechless...

VeggieBullet
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2013-08-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Prospector on August 15th 2013, 10:40 am

The thing I like about this is the end result. You get a full page of chips, the original color and slight modifications. I watched a guy paint his 1972 Roadrunner an Autumn Bronze Metallic with a touch more orange, and he wouldn't give out the color code. Researching this way, I see the color his color mixer used, and it's not orange that's coming through more...it's a tad bit more red. So...you can even choose variations off the color card. AND the card is new, not diminished with age. That's always been a problem with color chips from back in the day, should you find them on e-bay. FADING!

Prospector
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Prospector on August 15th 2013, 11:06 am

Single Stage Acrylic Polyurethane Topcoat:

http://www.ppg.com/coatings/matthewspaint/products/Pages/topcoats.aspx

Matthews Paint Company is a PPG based company that specializes in sign paint for outdoor commercial use.  It's topside paint that boaters use.   If you're thinking about using Brightside, Bue Water Marine Paint, or Epifanes, you're limited to the colors they offer.  Nothing more.  They'd like you to buy several colors and try to mix the paint to achieve a custom color mix, they'll make more money that way.

But, Matthews has Acrylic Polyurethane that supposedly has better UV Ray inhibitors and stand up to weather better.  Which, is what we need for cars.

They have many, many more colors to choose from , over 200... AND...I just talked to them, they use the Pantone Color Coding system for custom color matching.

I called a Matthews Paint Distributor in Chicago, and they gave me a price quote of fifty dollars per quart.

That's not too far from Interlux Brightside paint.

And...they have Paint and Roller reducer you add to the paint to help tip and roll, and they have Metallic bases.  

Just didn't want to leave the Single Stage Acrylic Polyurethane fans out of the custom color mix!

With the price being fifty bucks, you could color match at Ace with the Acrylic Enamel...paint the vehicle with the roller or HVLP and get a good base coat with the cheap stuff, let it harden, and then pull out one quart of the matching Pantone Code Matthews Paint Acyrlic Polyurethane and be in business!

This is the method I'm using to paint my Prospector!

Prospector
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by VeggieBullet on August 15th 2013, 7:13 pm

can't wait until you start posting pictures, your truck is real cool!

VeggieBullet
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2013-08-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Prospector on August 15th 2013, 8:19 pm

Me too!   That means my wife has actually bought into me spending money without her permission!!  

This is a GIMPED (photoshopped) version of a white first gen ram with the autumn bronze and spinnaker white cab I want to do...

Prospector
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on August 15th 2013, 11:46 pm

That's that early-to-mid '70s classic brown that Mopar used? My Grandpa had a Dart in that color, a 4 door with a black vinyl top and a slant 6.

Brown is a color which is often changed on cars, and I would probably do so as well. But that particular brown on a Mopar, I would keep. Gold decals almost look better on that color, than they do on black. (Like on a Duster.)
None of the rest of the big 3 had such a recognizable brown, not to my eye at least.

I kind of wish I'd done this and retained my original red.

Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CheapRanger on August 23rd 2013, 1:32 am

Just a bump to the top with a thank you!!!!!!!!

I remember someone trying to paint their truck a lime green and having mixed feelings about it.  VW had a couple of colors I liked, that ranged between lime (cliff) and jade (apple) green.  Now I found a way to see if I like the color first, inexpensively.

CheapRanger
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2010-09-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Prospector on August 23rd 2013, 9:22 pm

CheapRanger wrote:Just a bump to the top with a thank you!!!!!!!!

I remember someone trying to paint their truck a lime green and having mixed feelings about it.  VW had a couple of colors I liked, that ranged between lime (cliff) and jade (apple) green.  Now I found a way to see if I like the color first, inexpensively.
And isn't that what this form of painting all about? Doing it inexpensively? I just could never see a reason why we couldn't get the colors we wanted and had to settle for "almost" or, what the companies offered.

Prospector
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CheapRanger on August 24th 2013, 2:36 am

I would like to ask one question of you. What did you use to order the paint chip? The hexa number, or the name number?

Also, a relative sent me a link, as he used to deal a bit with the Pantone stuff, when he worked at a Mac place.
http://goffgrafix.com/colortester.php

I used it to view larger samples, for narrowing down my choices (and shades).

CheapRanger
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Prospector on August 24th 2013, 7:41 am

I use the Pantone code...just plug it in and then order it...

and that link your cousin provided is great! large scale helps these old eyes!

Prospector
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CheapRanger on August 24th 2013, 8:59 am

WHAT is the Pantone code??????

THAT is what I am trying to figure out!!!!!!!

To look at a swatch, on the website, I provided, I had to use the Hexa code.

I went back up and looked at your images, the NAME is the Pantone code.

CheapRanger
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Prospector on August 24th 2013, 11:11 am

I went to your Goffgrafix site and entered the Hex code with the # sign in front of it and got a large chip of autumn bronze.

It has to have that # sign in front of the hex

Prospector
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Prospector on August 24th 2013, 11:48 am

http://www.pantone.com/pages/pantone/colorfinder.aspx

Will this help?

Prospector
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CheapRanger on August 24th 2013, 1:54 pm

Turns out, it adds some confusion.

The RGB to Pantone conversion, is what I was originally asking about. I think I need to learn some more, because your last link, shown no color associated, with the color name I had, until I dropped part of it.
The color name I had was 368 2x
The one that worked on the site above, was 368. So what is the 2x?

CheapRanger
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Prospector on August 24th 2013, 3:07 pm

You'll see 2x, c or u, or a combination thereof with some other possibilities.

That's the color card pack the color originally came. If it doesn't have it, it's just the generic color chip or card.

Prospector
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Prospector on September 12th 2013, 9:37 am

Clarification: the Pantone Code will have a C or U...Covered or Uncovered.

Today, three weeks after ordering it, I got my autumn bronze paint chip in the mail. I'll post a pic later, but this will help me get the Ace Rust Stop paint I need in the right color. Or the Acylic Polyurethane Custom Metallic Paint from Williams Sign Paint Company...

So...it works! I have the Paint Chip!

Prospector
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CheapRanger on September 12th 2013, 11:01 am

Prospector wrote:Clarification:  the Pantone Code will have a C or U...Covered or Uncovered.

Today, three weeks after ordering it, I got my autumn bronze paint chip in the mail.  I'll post a pic later, but this will help me get the Ace Rust Stop paint I need in the right color.  Or the Acylic Polyurethane Custom Metallic Paint from Williams Sign Paint Company...

So...it works!   I have the Paint Chip!
Coated or Uncoated was what one site I looked at chips, called them. I ASSUMED (don't know for sure), that meant with a gloss covering, verses flat.

CheapRanger
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Prospector on September 12th 2013, 11:33 am

I checked with the local Ace Hardware store, and they told me it didn't matter if it was a gloss or flat chip. It would scan the same.
Very Happy 

Prospector
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SubieTrav on September 12th 2013, 9:50 pm

I used Ace Rust Stop on my 92 Subaru Legacy and within a year it was so faded and chalky I could be seen driving it. I buffed it again with Megs compound and it barley made a difference. I ended up selling the car. What I didn't realise was that the Ace paint said not to sand, it will remove the UV protection.

SubieTrav
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2012-02-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Prospector on September 12th 2013, 10:03 pm

you can use it as a base coat and then use the acrylic polyurethane paint over it...you use less of the acrylic polyurethane, more of the cheap Ace Rust Stop...save money that way.

Prospector
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on September 13th 2013, 3:43 am

So how does the chip look? Spot on?

Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Prospector on September 13th 2013, 4:28 pm

It is a match! I'd say it was spot on, and! Can't wait to buy the rust stop paint, and the acrylic poly sign paint!

Prospector
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next