96 Ranger 5.0 Build & Rolled On Paint Thread.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

96 Ranger 5.0 Build & Rolled On Paint Thread.

Post by v8Ranger on August 25th 2013, 5:32 pm

Sold my mustang and needed another project, so I picked this up for $500. It runs and drives great, but it's cosmetically challenged... Continue reading to see what the future has in store for her.

First day home. She's pretty beat, but I can look past all that.

The grill and headlights were new, but the previous owner bolted them to a broken header panel.:confused:

The passenger side of the truck is all in good shape.

Drivers side - not so much. The bed side, bumper, and tailgate needs replaced.

The interior is beat as well...

Total amount invest thus far: $871
v8Ranger
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2013-08-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 96 Ranger 5.0 Build & Rolled On Paint Thread.

Post by v8Ranger on August 25th 2013, 5:33 pm

A few days after I bought the truck, my cousin offered to sell me his 97 5.0 explorer for $375... The fuel pump went out, and he decided to buy something that got better gas mileage... The explorer will provide the engine, wiring harness, computer, and rear end (8.8" with 3:73's and ls) for my v8 swap.

v8Ranger
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by v8Ranger on August 25th 2013, 5:33 pm

On Saturday I went up and picked up a perfect bedside ($75), a perfect rear bumper ($50), and a OK tailgate ($20) from a guy off craigslist.

Then I shot over to pick in pull and scored a nice set of splash mirrors for $30 bucks, and a set of kenwood coaxials for $9 bucks (they were in splash I got the mirrors off of.)

I also picked up a new vent for the dash (freebie)

so for $184 I got a bunch of stuff I needed. and that's where I am today.
v8Ranger
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by v8Ranger on August 25th 2013, 5:34 pm

So far I sold the tires off the explorer for $100 bucks, and the pre-cats for $60 bucks. Still have a ton more parts to sell off of it before I scrap it, hoping the explorer will not only provide a bunch of parts I need, but actually make a few hundred bucks on top of that.
v8Ranger
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by v8Ranger on August 25th 2013, 5:34 pm

I couldn't find a decent used header panel any where, so I ended up ordering a new aftermarket one through a friends body shop - it was $32 bucks after taxes...

I cut the main cats off last night and one of the two was empty... I ended up selling them to my buddies who deals in scrap for $60 bucks..

Price on first post has been updated.
v8Ranger
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by v8Ranger on August 25th 2013, 5:35 pm

I'm almost positive that I'll wind up using a t5... I worked until 2:30am to get the motor/tranny/transfer case/wiring harness/computer pulled out of the explorer last night... Then got up at 8am and pulled the rear and started pulling some of the seats and stuff... I'm going to finish it in the morning and run it to the scrapper... Then I'm going to start working the ranger again..
v8Ranger
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by v8Ranger on August 25th 2013, 5:35 pm

Since I've decided to go ahead and try the $50 dollar paint job, I picked up a spray can of sunburst yellow to see how I was going to like the color. I had an old tailgate cover that I wiped down with acetone (no other prep work) and sprayed a few coats on it, and I must say I'm pretty much digging it.

The plan is to spray paint the door jams and other tight areas, then roll the rest on. I have more time then money, so if it takes a few weeks to get it done, oh well... I'm going to try my hardest to get it to as close as prefect as possible.

Here's a picture of the test panel. This was just to check to see if I was going to like the color.

v8Ranger
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by v8Ranger on August 25th 2013, 5:48 pm

Today I went and pulled off the old banged up bed side, the tailgate, taillights, and some other random crap.

I sanded down the new bed side and wiped it down with cleaner. I had a can of sunburst yellow sitting around, so I decided to fog it over the new bed side (red). To my surprise the red covered really easy, and temptation took over and I sprayed the whole bedside.

Tomorrow morning I plan to wet sand it and start on coat 1 and 2. I work nights, so I'll be working on this during the day.

I do plan to rattle can the door jams and other hard to reach areas. The inside of the bed is going to get a rolled on bed liner.
v8Ranger
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah Zarq on August 25th 2013, 7:25 pm

I'm liking this so far. Big project from the research I've done;I checked into tossing a 289 into my stepdad's first generation Ranger. But well worth it!
Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 128
Project : 1992 Nissan Sentra, 1984 Dodge Ram, 1995 Chrysler Concorde
Registration date : 2010-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by v8Ranger on August 25th 2013, 8:17 pm

I'm going to use the explorer 5.0 (with a small cam and upgraded springs), using the explorer wiring harness and computer... I'm still need to do more research, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Anyways, borrowed a gun from my buddy, might see if my cousins little compressor will run it (at least to spray small panels (tailgate, door jams, etc.) Anyways, on my way back from picking up the gun I stopped at checked out the paint on the bedside and it was dry, so I rolled on my first coat. I used the typical 50/50 mix and it self leveled pretty dang nicely.

The bed had one coat of yellow spray painted on, then one rolled on.

The grill was white, and got one coat of yellow on.

The yellow is covering the white pretty easily. 2nd coat should get me pretty much complete coverage. If the compressor will not hold up to the spray gun (which I doubt it will), I'll plan on rolling on 8-10 coats. I want plenty of room for error when it comes to the final stages of finishing.
v8Ranger
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by v8Ranger on August 25th 2013, 8:20 pm

My phone sucks at taking pictures... the pieces actually have a pretty decent gloss to them.

I'm going to prep the rest of the truck tomorrow, and get at least one coat on it.
v8Ranger
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Noah Zarq on August 25th 2013, 10:51 pm

Your truck is already starting to look like the truck that started this Web site!
Noah Zarq
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 128
Project : 1992 Nissan Sentra, 1984 Dodge Ram, 1995 Chrysler Concorde
Registration date : 2010-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on August 25th 2013, 11:15 pm

Cool project!  I swear I seen something like it here before...Cool   I like the regular cab and stepside bed.

Are you going to use the Explorer brakes?  They might be an improvement (4 wheel discs).  
I would consider going with a distributor and a Fox Mustang computer, like an A9L.  Although simply swapping in the Explorer DIS ignition (coil packs) and computer would be easier, cheaper, and less risk of inadvertently frying something.  In that case I'd also be wanting to use the 4WD system, but a 5 speed and 2WD would get everything done quicker.
I've got an Exploder intake manifold on my 5.0, and it's way better than the HO manifold.  I'd like to grab some GT40s or GT40Ps at U-Pull-N-Pray, (and then some new 1.7 roller rockers) but I wouldn't put them on without drilling them for thermactor air (smog pump).  I won't settle for making my computer throw error codes.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 596
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by v8Ranger on August 26th 2013, 10:47 am

96+ have emission test in my area, so I would like to use the explorer setup and computer to try and make it "emissions" friendly.

While the awd would of been kind of cool, I just don't think I could go with an automatic.

Here's a couple pictures of my last project. Bought it as a roller and pieced it back together.

I had about 1,200 bucks into the car when it was all finished.

well, I'm going to go spend a could of hours on the ranger. Wish me luck!

v8Ranger
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on August 26th 2013, 12:51 pm

v8Ranger wrote:I had about 1,200 bucks into the car when it was all finished.

well, I'm going to go spend a could of hours on the ranger. Wish me luck!
Doesn't sound like you're going to need any luck...

On an old episode of Exreme 4x4, I saw them bother to reflash a new Jeep's original computer, to make it control an V8 they were installing.  They said that they needed to keep the vehicle's original computer, in order to meet some sort of government imposed standard someplace.  I guess the Explorer is a Mass Air, so it would respond favorably to stuff like headers/exhaust, and a cold air intake.

That Mustang looked pretty sharp, and I forgot to mention before, nice looking Falcon back there!  '60-'63?  Sedan or hardtop?
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by v8Ranger on August 26th 2013, 3:36 pm

I think the falcon is a 63, and I don't believe it was a hardtop, but don't really remember.

Tried out the gun and here's what I found - IT'S THE WAY TO GO! I'm able to spray a panel or two at a time before pressure starts dropping, but who cares I'm planning on color sanding anyways.

Both bed sides are now yellow.

I have a few dings and stuff that I'm debating on rather or now I want to mess with. Time is an issue. I need to have the truck sprayed and put together Before Monday morning. There's also the realization that this truck is never going to be PERFECT - thought I think it could be really close if I take my time. I already got the body filler, so I might go ahead and spend a extra day fixing some little dings and such.

v8Ranger
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Prospector on August 26th 2013, 5:17 pm

the yellow looks good on that truck!
Prospector
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2013-07-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by v8Ranger on August 26th 2013, 8:45 pm

Just remembered that we have a 3 day weekend, so I'm going to go ahead and fix the dings and stuff and shoot for near perfect
v8Ranger
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by v8Ranger on August 28th 2013, 2:17 pm

The paint is all done, and I've started some of the assembly. I'm going to paint all the trim/door/handles/wipes/etc with a fresh coat of black... I'm going to get the paint a few weeks to fully cure, then wet sand some imperfections and then buff it.

It's not perfect, but it's a 10 footer or so. lol My camera on my phone sucks, the truck is decently shiny, not sure why it looks so dull in the pictures. There's a couple of runs that I need to take care of though.

v8Ranger
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on August 29th 2013, 1:48 pm

That looks good. That will be one cool truck with the V8.
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by v8Ranger on August 30th 2013, 8:07 am

Thanks. There's some flaws in the paint, but at least the truck is all one color. I do think that I'll repaint the truck once the v8 swap is complete. I'll probably do a sonic blue in a base/clear at that time.
v8Ranger
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by v8Ranger on August 31st 2013, 5:06 pm

After I get the v8 swap done, I'm going to repaint the truck probably midnight blue, I just wanted to get it one color for now (hints the lack of any body work. lol)

v8Ranger
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by v8Ranger on September 2nd 2013, 6:11 pm

Bolted the new bumper on, still need to align it a bit better. Ignore the wires hanging down, I was just fixing some of the previous owners shady wiring. lol

Since I didn't shave the holes in the fender, I decided that I would start looking for some 2006+ ranger emblems. I also want some 06+ taillights.

v8Ranger
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by v8Ranger on September 2nd 2013, 6:11 pm

Bolted the new bumper on, still need to align it a bit better. Ignore the wires hanging down, I was just fixing some of the previous owners shady wiring. lol

Since I didn't shave the holes in the fender, I decided that I would start looking for some 2006+ ranger emblems. I also want some 06+ taillights.
v8Ranger
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top