Paint Quality of Synthetic Enamels.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Paint Quality of Synthetic Enamels.

Post by roller painter on September 1st 2013, 2:48 pm

I had done a lot of long searches on this subject, but i could not find any answers. I want to ask a few questions about the (Paint) Quality, of these Oil Base synthetic alkyd enamels, like Rustoleum, Valspar, Brightsides, and the other paints that are used for these roller paint jobs. My questions are: Compared to a professional Sprayed automotive acrylic enamel paint job, could a synthetic enamel paint job lower the value of a vehicle, because it was painted with synthetic alkyd enamel paint, instead of automotive acrylic paint?                                                                                                                                                                                 I know that these roller paint jobs can be done to look as good (and/or sometimes even  better) as a professional spray job, and sometimes they even look as good or even better than an original paint job from the factory. But i have heard people say that the synthetic alkyd enamel paint that is used for these paint jobs, do not dry and cure to be as hard and strong as an automotive type acrylic enamel paint job.                                                                                                                       I do understand that a vehicle that has a good synthetic enamel roller paint job looks much better than a vehicle that has an old worn out paint job on it, and i like how we can do touch ups and repairs by ourselves, without sending the car to an auto body/paint shop, and spending a lot of extra money.                                                                                                                                                             But should i worry that if i paint a vehicle with the roller paint job with synthetic enamel paint, and i decide to sell the vehicle a few months (or years) later and the new owner of the vehicle gets into an accident, and if he/she takes the vehicle to an auto body/paint shop for repairs, and they realize that they can not match an auto paint color to the synthetic enamel rustoleum type of paint color that i used to paint the vehicle, or they might not be able to do paint spot repairs to blend the new auto paint into older the surrounding area of the existing rustoleum paint, because the synthetic enamel is not the same as  (or as hard as) the auto paint that they use?                                                                                                                       I do know that most auto body/auto paint shops can try to match the color of most paints, if you give them a sample color to match. I also understand that these synthetic enamel paints are the only type of paints, that can be used for the roller paint job. I also understand that many people can not afford a professional paint job and many people would like to paint a vehicle themselves to save money.                                         What if you have a chance to buy a vehicle that is worth a lot of money (like a rare collector car or truck) and it needed a new paint job, would you paint it with a roller with a synthetic enamel paint (like rustoleum) and try to sell it for a good profit? Do you think that anyone would complain that the paint is a synthetic enamel paint, instead of an automotive acrylic enamel or automotive acrylic lacquer type paint?                                                                                                                       As you probably know, if you have a vehicle advertised for sale, and people start calling or texting you about the vehicle for sale, they usually ask you "How is the paint job that is on the vehicle?" What if you tell them that it was painted with a synthetic enamel paint, like rustoleum or valspar? Do you think that they will loose interest in the vehicle?                                                                                                       Or what if you do not tell them that the vehicle was painted with a synthetic enamel paint instead of an acrylic enamel or acrylic lacquer automotive paint, and they find out later on when they need paint and/or body repairs, due to an accident? Can a person get in trouble because of this?
I have heard that many auto body/paint shops will not spray synthetic enamel paints like rustoleum and valspar, and many of these shops do not even spray solvent base paints (like acrylic enamel and acrylic lacquer) anymore. Many of them have already switched to the newer type of spray equipment, that sprays the newer Water Base/Water Borne automotive paints.
roller painter
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2013-03-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Paint Quality of Synthetic Enamels.

Post by Samilcar on September 3rd 2013, 10:04 am

I think the vast majority of the car buying public couldn't care a whit about what kind of paint is on their car, as long as it looks good. If you told them it was "synthetic enamel", you would either get a blank stare, or they might think it was high-end because of the word "synthetic". Would I roller paint synthetic enamel on a rare collector car? Probably not. But if I had the money to afford a rare collector car, I could probably spring for a professional $3,000-$5,000 modern urethane paint job. Or maybe a professional old school lacquer paint job, if the collector car is really old and originally came with lacquer paint.
Samilcar
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 76
Project : 1998 Jaguar XJ8 - Kirker Ultra-Glo Black
Registration date : 2011-03-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Prospector on September 4th 2013, 11:05 am

On that accident problem of color matching the roll on color, I can't help but think the purchaser is buying the vehicle in As Is condition.  Most used cars are bought that way with little, or no warranty.  So if they get into an accident and find out you used Rustoleum, I doubt they could come back at you legally.   If they don't ask about the paint process, don't volunteer the information.

I was telling a buddy of mine about acrylic enamel vs acrylic polyurethane, and he had this caught in the headlights stare and he didn't know what I was talking about.  He's fifty five and a big collector car fan, and the last paint he remembers from the seventies was the lacquer paints GM used heavily.   He was stunned that many companies used the acrylic polyurethane paint, and didn't really know you could tip and roll boats for that matter.  
So, the general public is kind of ignorant abut the differences in paint...they don't know about fish eye, they don't know about orange peel on anything except the Citrus Fruit, and I don't think they care.  They just want..pretty.
And if the body shop can't color match it...there's a problem there.  On Moparts a body shop color matched the Rustoleum Regal Red and called up to ask the owner where he got the Ferrari paint..it matched a Ferrari paint color that was quite expensive and rare.  Laughing 

(I think it was Ferrari..it may have been one of the other high end european sports car companies I don't care for).
Prospector
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2013-07-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top