1998 Chevrolet Prizm Refurbished

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1998 Chevrolet Prizm Refurbished

Post by jedireed on September 2nd 2013, 4:13 pm

I started doing some filler work on the driver side (it had a temp spray job on the damaged areas to protect them) of this old commuter and one thing led to another. I soon found myself filling all the damage on the car and scuffing up the clear coat. Now and then on my days off I would buy a quart of Rustoleum Gloss Black and mix it with 3 oz. of Majic Catalyst Hardener and about the same amount of paint thinner and roll it. I would scuff the surface with 400 grit in between. Now that I've put on 4-5 coats (actually I lost track) I'm going to let everything cure for a month before I sand it with 1000 grit and polish it. It's not perfect and I never intended it to be. There is orange peel but I really am not out to impress anybody as long as I am happy with it and can get a few more years out of this old car. It was a fun summer project and I really enjoy reading everyone's posts, they were inspiring!

jedireed
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 3
Job/hobbies : Healthcare
Project : 1998 Chevy Prizm
Registration date : 2013-08-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1998 Chevrolet Prizm Refurbished

Post by Pacermike on September 20th 2013, 7:08 pm

This thing should look pretty nice once it's polished up. The color change to black is a big improvement over the original green, in my opinion. Looks good Smile

Pacermike
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2013-05-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jedireed on October 31st 2013, 6:54 pm

Thanks Pacermike!

I have applied another coat since my last posting. Roughed up the surface again with 400 grit and used Rustoleum Topside Gloss Black this time and a higher proportion of Majic Catalyst Hardener. What a difference that made! It laid down a lot nicer and I noticed the water beads like it was waxed, plus the UV protection is nice. I wish I had used Topside for all the coats.

Winter is almost here in Michigan so I will put another coat on in the spring and do my polishing then. I feel the car is protected very well to endure the season ahead.

jedireed
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 3
Job/hobbies : Healthcare
Project : 1998 Chevy Prizm
Registration date : 2013-08-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content