Rolling with the Changes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rolling with the Changes

Post by Camaro Guy on September 11th 2013, 3:14 pm

Hey guys, new to rolling, but have done a bit of spraying. Sometimes you have to try something new.

I see a lot of benefits to the roll on method, but have a few reservations:

Chipping - People keep telling me Rustoleum chips easily.

Fading - Same people say it'll look like crap in 2 years. If so, will a buff bring it back? I would think so.

Repainting - Let's say I don't like the results. Can I just scuff, seal, and respray using automotive paint? If I had a dollar for everyone who said I'd end up stripping it all back off......well, I could afford a gal of gas anyway. LOL

Anyhow, my car is prepped and ready. Time to decide. Is there any real advantage to spraying the Rusto? I know it's probably a little faster, but suspect it'll leave a fair share of orange peel.

Also is it even worth the effort to use additives? I see guys using penetrol, reducers, hardeners, all sorts of stuff. Results look exactly the same though.

Very cool to find this forum. Be nice to get some first hand accounts instead of all the goofy crap I find parroted elsewhere.
Camaro Guy
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2013-09-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rolling with the Changes

Post by Samilcar on September 17th 2013, 10:08 pm

I scanned this chart from one of my books (Auto Body Repair Technology by James E. Duffy). Scuffing and respraying should be all you need to do if painting over alkyd enamel paint. The only exception might be non-acrylic lacquer.
Samilcar
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 75
Project : 1998 Jaguar XJ8 - Kirker Ultra-Glo Black
Registration date : 2011-03-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Camaro Guy on October 3rd 2013, 3:12 pm

Thanks, that answers some of my questions. Still haven't pulled the trigger, but will be pretty soon. I got the door jams and under the trunk lid to do first. Rattle can should be OK I'm thinking.
Camaro Guy
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2013-09-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top