Beginner's questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Beginner's questions

Post by betanceiro on September 12th 2013, 3:39 am

Hi there, first of all I must say that I live in Spain, and so, my language is spanish, so, I apologize if my english writing is not understood.

I'm thinking about painting (or wrapping I'm not sure yet) my old 1995 Citroen C-15. It's a small truck that although it's paint is ot too bad, there are some rusted areas in the doors with metal damage (in the pic you'll can see them covered with **** tape) and some little scrapes "touches of life".

I've readed many articles here ad my first doubt is about sanding before applying. On the rusted areas I used a wire bruch and sanded until I removed almost all the rust. After that I used a product that neutralizes the rust and put some fiber-glass putty and sand again until it was smooth and now i will put a common putty before the primer.

My doubt is about those little scrapes. Should I sand them until reaching metal before applyig the putty or just sand a little to remove the upper paint coat?

Thanks i advance for your oppinions.
betanceiro
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 13
Job/hobbies : DIY works
Project : Should I paint my Citroen C15 van?
Registration date : 2013-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Beginner's questions

Post by Prospector on September 12th 2013, 9:41 am

If you apply the putty over paint, it won't adhere properly. It'll flake off. I'd go down to metal to ensure adhesion, then prime and paint over the putty.
Prospector
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2013-07-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by betanceiro on September 13th 2013, 3:28 am

Tx Prospector for your help, I'm sanding until I reach metal although some little dents drive me insane cause I gotta sand them with my hands since electric sanders aren't able to get inside. Even for Dremel tools.
betanceiro
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 13
Job/hobbies : DIY works
Project : Should I paint my Citroen C15 van?
Registration date : 2013-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top