Body work, the fun stuff...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Body work, the fun stuff...

Post by Billdog on October 2nd 2013, 6:29 pm

I'm getting my old 1965 Mustang ready to paint and had a few questions of what the best route would be. It has had a few paint jobs (some bad) in it's lifetime. As it sits now there is all kinds of fading, spider cracks, dents and paint chips. The one good thing is that it's a California car and has very little rust. I have decided that it's best to go down to bare metal as there are so many layers of questionable paint and body repairs.

1. Is aircraft stripper the quickest/easiest way or is wire wheeling it the way to go?

2. Should I get the dents out with a hammer/dollie before taking it to bare metal or after?

3. After i use body filler to get each panel straight and smooth what kind of primer should i use? I plan on rolling on rustoleum regal red for the color. I've read/heard that a sealer is recommended when it is taken down to bare metal.

4. Under the hood the paint is flaking off and I was just going to clean it up, sand it down and rattle can it. Any recommendations on the paint I use? I know engine paint has a much higher heat resistance. Is that advisable to use or is regular rustoluem ok for that purpose?

I'm not looking for a show car, but it is a cool ride and I want a nice paint job that will hold up for a few years. At this point anything I do to it is an improvement. I appreciate any suggestions from you all. I'll take some pictures and post my progress once I get started.
Billdog
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-08-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Body work, the fun stuff...

Post by Camaro Guy on October 3rd 2013, 3:26 pm

I used those biscuit things. Kind of look like hamburger patty on a stick? In a good drill it makes pretty fast work of paint stripping. Took me about 3 partial days. A good 6-8 biscuits....wish remembered what they are called. 3M makes some, Harbor Freight is where I got them. Nooks and crannies got done with small wire wheel or hand sanded with 80G.

Dents might as well wait on. Can do first if you want, but if you are going to use stud welder to pull you need to be on bare metal anyway.

I used primer that my buddies use, Mar Hyde High Build 2k. Sands like a dream and seals the metal. If you are going to block it you'll love how easy it sands.

I don't think gets hot enough under hood to need special paint. I've actually painted an engine using the same paint I used to paint the car and didn't have any issues with it coming off. That's a cast iron block though, pretty porous.

Nice to see somebody else with a rare old car going this route. I see mostly daily drivers, so a bit apprehensive rolling my classic Camaro.

Are you at all concerned with fading and chipping?

EDIT:
This ---> http://www.harborfreight.com/4-1-2-half-inch-nylon-abrasive-wheel-94017.html

I had to go find one, but this is what I used. Doesn't look like it would work in a drill, must have used it with the angle grinder. It's been awhile now since I stripped her. All I can say is it is pretty fast, but I only had one coat of paint to go through. Worth a try though. I started with 80G on a DA but soon found out that would take a looooong time and use mucho sandpaper!
Camaro Guy
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2013-09-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Billdog on October 3rd 2013, 7:50 pm

Thanks for the info Camaro Guy. I'll take a ride to HF this weekend and pick up some of those biscuits. With regard to primer, do you use the High Build exclusively or do you use any filler primer?

I decided to do the rolled on method because the color pallet is pretty simple for old cars and they don't use a lot of metallic paints. I'm a bit concerned with fading mainly because of the color. If it was a lighter color, I don't think it would be that bad. I'm just going to have to keep it waxed and in the garage most of the time.
Billdog
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-08-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top